Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when did u stop giving your LO bottles?????

jack is 20 months now and still has his full fat milk from a bottle every night before bed. do u think its time to take it away? he drinks juice all day from a sippy cup but if i put milk in it he wont drink it.

we're off to mexico on monday so he's not goin to be in full bedtime routine so mabye nows the time to think about it!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I'd be interested to see what others say about this too- I have no idea what's the average age for giving up their bottle, but I can't imagine Lola wanting to give hers up any time soon.

I don't see it as a problem though if it's only at bedtime. It's a lovely bit of comfort. But I'm personally not to keen on seeing older kids (say 3 or 4) out and about with a bottle hanging from their mouth though.  :-\

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
My HV told me I need to get rid of bottles by the time they turn one but ds was having none of it. I will admit he does still have a bottle for milk now (he was 3 this month) but, AFAIC, it's just twice a day and he drinks his milk straight down in all of a couple of minutes. When I've put it in a cup (and I've tried loads) he looks at me as if I've gone mad so I'd much rather he had a bottle than no milk at all.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Hi all

Current advice is to stop bottles at 12 months if possible and move to cups/beakers and to brush the little ones teeth after the last bottle at night.  I still give A cow's milk first thing in the morning and before bed (about 8oz each time) but he has a beaker and we have built the teeth brushing in to the routine (although is more of a let mummy chase you round the room with a tooth brush some nights  ^idiot^  ;D)

I had a job getting him off the bottle but started experimenting around 10-11mths - you need to try different beakers out or maybe buy a special fun one to take away on holiday for his milk.  Maybe he could chose his own one in the shop so that it makes it special?  Not sure I am much help really, I think trial and error and perseverance are the way to go.  Good luck!

Fluffs xxx

·
Registered
868 Posts
I know what you mean girls! My Franky is only 9 months and I'm already trying to get him to drink his two daytime milk drinks from a beaker/ sippy cup.   He's fine drinking water from a beaker but not so keen with the milk so I tend to do some from both at his breakfast and afternoon milk drinks.  He's still has it all from a bottle at bedtime.  

I think that once I get him on the beaker for the 2 daytime drinks then I'll be happy and will decide about the bedtime bottle at a later date!  I don't want him to grow up too quickly but I definitely don't want him to still be drinking from a bottle at 2/3.

Again it is down to personal choice and who's to say what is right and wrong! I saw a photo of one of my children aged 4 (school teacher) he was asleep with a bottle next to him!  He's very cute and a lovely boy but still quite young so is it right or wrong that he's still drinking from a bottle.  I think the only person who should judge it is his mummy.

So I'd go for when you are both ready for giving up the bottle!  Like when me and Franky were ready to give up breast feeding, I had decided I was going to stop when I started back at work and he decided for me about a week before! SO it was a mutual agreement  ;D.

FG

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
PS Forgot to add that I was under the impression that kids should have approx 20oz of full fat milk (or cheese/yoghurt etc) up until the age of two when they can then swap to semi-skimmed....  (I may be wrong though - I do pick up bits of info and can never remember where from  ^idiot^  ???  ;D)

Fluffs xxx

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
One year?!?! Really?  :eek: Goodness, I'm surpised that it's recommended so young.

And I have a terrible confession to make....Lola goes to bed with her bottle for naps and at night  :-[ I know it's not ideal, but she is so contented and happy with it that way. Am I doing a really bad thing?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Sugar,

It's a personal thing - personally I don't think that children should be breastfed if they can walk!  But just because I think that does it make it wrong.  I think that a lot of these "guidelines" are just that - guidance and not exactly what you should do!

So do it when you are both ready and then your DD wont be traumatised by being denied her comfort!

FG

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Alex has dropped his himself, he now has no milk at all in the day - he refuses to take milk from a beaker.  If he had not decided he would still be having it, I have no issue with it at all...

Bev xx

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Megan still has her early morning milk and her bed time milk out of a bottle, the rest of drinks - well water is out of a sippy beaker.

I am not too worried at the moment, as she drinks her milk quickly and it is her one comfort thing, particularly before going to bed

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
I think the only issue with bottles is that they let the milk linger around the teeth...  It is probably madness for madness sake from the health professionals....  I was told by a child minder at our toddler group the other day that they are not allowed to give children raisins as a snack on their own any more due to the healthy eating and teeth advice - only with meal times or with something like cheese to counteract the sugar on the teeth  ???  ^idiot^

Fluffs xxx

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Dee ,

Thanks for that link. Interesting reading as always  ;D

FG

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Hiya

Charlotte has never been a good eater, so up until about a month ago she was still having a bottle of milk first thing and at bedtime, just to get the extra goodness in her.  I always brushed her teeth just before bed so didn't see a problem.  Since we moved to a beaker/cup she hasn't really had more than a few sips.  In fact, in the morning we've resorted to her having a very milky cup of tea, just to get her to have some milk.

I thought it'd make her eat more, but that hasn't worked either  ???

Nikki
x

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
Dee said:
Have a read of this thread ...
http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=131943.0

My personal opinion (as it said on there too) is that if they are happy and healthy ... let them be happy and healthy whilst drinking milk that is good for them.

Dee
xxx
Yes, well said! :)

B still has bottle in the evening before bed and, sometimes his mid morning snack is accompanied by a bottle or a beaker of milk but he will only have it in a beakeer if it's flavoured. He breastfeeds first thing in the morning and, sometimes, if he asks (which he does now has a word for it and has perfected the art of lifting my top) at other times in the day. I think he prefers it to juice or water. Come to think of it, what with the cheese monster he is turning into and the yoghurt chops he is too...he has loads of dairy. I have a milk monster! ;D

C~x

1 - 16 of 16 Posts