Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm quite new to this site and am still learning to navigate around.  I stumbled on a post saying that someone had been for their walk round at Bourne Hall and have their first appointment in Sept.  That seems ages!!! Do you think it was an old post? I've tried to find it again to see but i can't find it now!! Basildon Hopsital are in the process of referring me now - was hoping to appointment at bourne in March/april.  do you ttink that's really unlikely now?
thanks x

·
Registered
259 Posts
Miffy hello there is a great forum called bourne hall on this site! I'm on it myself and there are some lovely ladies who will be able to answer you! Louise x

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi there. Can anyone tell me roughly what the waiting list is at Bourn Hall Clinic? Is there a long wait between 1st appointment/seminar and treatment? I am having pelvic scan in a few days time then we will be referred to Bourn. No idea how it all works time wise.

Thanks

Rachel xx

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Rachel,

I am currently being treated with Bourn and waited about 6 weeks for an appointment. From my review appointment I now have to wait 4 months for my next cycle. The timeframes in Bourn appear to be growing unfortunately.

Take Care

C

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thank you so much for replying. Seems like a lot of patience will be needed. Good luck and thanks again

Rachel
x

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi we have our first appointment at Bourn Hall in a couple of weeks. We are hopng to go for natural IUI with donor sperm as we are a same sex couple with no known fertility problems.

Does anyone know how long we might have to wait for a donor and how long for treatment? We are keen to get going :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi Me and Her

It depends on the characteristics you choose. We didn't care about eye, hair colour etc and our only limits were the shade of skin colour (we opted for really fair to olive). I think it's more difficult if you want an asian skin colour as there's a shortage of donors.

Once we were ready to go we got our donor within a couple weeks. This was just over a year ago. Once you got your donor you stick with that one so there's only one wait.

Hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck! Fi xx

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi Rachel

I was at Bourn yesterday for a review consultation and I was told that I would have to wait for 5 months before I could start a IVF.

I have decided to change to ISIS as there wait time is couple of months less.

Amanda x

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello Me and Her

Good luck with finding a donor. Me and my fiancee might be doing the same if his sperm count is still terribly low. Due to the new laws about anonymity i think there is a lack of donors. BUT, it only takes one!!!

I have one more test (today actually) then we will be handed over to Bourn. Hope the wait isn't too long, I'm 39 this year.

Rachel
x

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ipswich Town Girl said:
I was at Bourn yesterday for a review consultation and I was told that I would have to wait for 5 months before I could start a IVF.
Sorry to butt in but oh no that's ages - sorry I'm getting so impatient as everything is moving so slowly. I had my ultrsound at Addenbrookes at the beginning of January and after failing to get another appointment through I rang after 3 weeks to be told they'd somehow 'forgotten' to book me in so now I won't find out the results of the ultrasound until 15th April which was the earliest appointment available....I felt like crying :( At that appointment I'm guessing I'll formally be referred to Bourne although because all this has been going on since September I know we're going to have to get all our bloods and hubby's SA test done again.

So by my calculations we're unlikely to start ivf treatment until November at the very earliest....so much for my PMA at the beginning of Jan that 2010 was going to be our year :( By god I really am feeling sorry for myself at the moment, best I just :-X

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Cosmicgirl,

I share your frustration regarding waiting times and I sometimes get so angry when I have to chase people. If I was that inefficient in my job I'd have been sacked by now. In 2.5 years I only managed to have 4 cycles of IVF and I have to wait until June to start again. I guess if we are NHS funded we cant complain to much and we are put through so many unnecessary tests just so they can get their tick in the box.

Here's another funny scenario for you. My DH and I are relying on frozen sperm which was stored before his cancer treatment. The NHS make you go for HIV, HEP C and other blood tests every year because they will not fund you if you have any of those blood based diseases. We had our review with the consultant who reminded us yet again that we had to get all of our bloods redone and my DH asked why he had to get them done as we are relying on frozen sperm (which was tested for HIV etc before it was stored at Bourn). The consultant laughed and agreed that it was crazy but it was NHS policy. The amount of money the NHS must waste on useless expensive tests is scary.

Anyway just thought I'd share my experience and hopefully give you a bit of a laugh

P.S I asked what the waiting time was for a private cycle, its only a month quicker

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am so frustrated too. AAAAAAAGGGGHHH! Went for my pelvic ultrasound yesterday at Addenbrookes and was told I have a tiny cyst but that because I am in week 3 of my cycle that it's normal but they want to look again in 6 weeks. Was so dissapointed and the woman was very un-sympathetic to our situation. She said they wanted to rule out endemetriosis. My mum used to be a nurse and said that the ultrasound people should not even attempt a diagnosis, not even mention it. Only the doctor should do that.

Everyone says waiting is the worst thing and they are right. Feel like I am running out of time.

Thinking of you all waiting too :-[

Rachel
x

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hello

I had a review appointment at Bourn Hall last weekend and I was told that the waiting list for IVF was 5 months.

I have asked to be transferred to their new Clinic in Colchester as the waiting list is shorter and it is closer to home for me. 

Looking at where you being referred by, it might be easier for you to go to Colchester.

Good Luck

Amanda xx

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi!

My husband and I attended the open house at the beginning of September and I've just started down regulating about a week ago for our first IVF.  It seems like a long time, but it honestly has flown by for us!  There's a lot of bloodwork and testing to be done the first little bit that helps time go by.  Goodluck!

Jess

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi - just to update - we had our first consultation today and for IUI there is no waiting list. They also said there is also no wait for a donor (but I guess this depends on if they have one that matches you requirements.

Lots of luck to everyone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello

I am due to go back to Addenbrooks in March as had to lose weight for NHS Guide Lines. I woundering also need sperm doner as husband got none. Does having IUI effect your 3 goes at IVf . How long was your wait for appointment at Bourne ?  I have had a go Private IVf negative with Donar. 

Thank you
Fidgit

·
Registered
297 Posts
We had to wait a few weeks for our first appointment. We are not NHS funded but I don't think having IUI should affect your 3 IVF but better to check,

Best of luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi there.

Spoke to Bourn Hall today and the waiting list for private patients is as follows - beginning of March for consultation and then May/June to start treatment. That's if you have had all your other tests already (bloods, HIV etc with doctor).

They are fairly busy. maybe that's why the doc didn't suggest it.

Hope this helps

Rachel
x

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi Rachel

I am waiting to be referred to Bourn Hall from Newnham Walk Surgery in Cambridge. Do you know if that wait is the same for NHS patients, or is the wait longer?

The waiting is so hard!

Thanks

Helen

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi there. Am afraid it's longer. I called them a week ago and they said April for a consultation then August/September for the start of treatment. Have you been given a choice of places? Because of my age (39 this year), me and my fiancee have chosen to go to Herts and Essex fertility centre (1 hour form Cambridge) where there is no waiting list. We will start treatment in March.

If I was younger I would have waited for Bourn (well known etc etc) but felt that time was an issue and wanted to get started. All the girls on here say that Herts & Essex is fantastic.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Rachel
x

1 - 20 of 26 Posts