Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know - I'm mad! But I really want my periods to return, because I want to get back into regular cycles, in order that I can then plan for starting my next lot of treatment for a lickle sibling for Iestyn.

Can those of you that b/f or have breast fed your little ones let me know your experience regarding the return of AF's. Iestyn is nearly 15 weeks old and I have no sign of AF returning at all.

I don't want to give up b/f just so my periods will return, because if I go through treatment again and it does not work, then I will have cut short a very important part of my enjoyment in feeding Iestyn, with no other chance of experiencing b/f again.

Is it true that the more you feed at night, the more Prolactin is produced and it's the Prolactin that holds of AFs?

Love,

Sue xxxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Sue, you're not mad for wanting another baby. I know that feeling to want a second baby all too well ;)

You already know my experience of AF during breast feeding with Ben. But, I have never fed Ben at night so maybe it's not relevant.

However, it is a slightly different story with Jack. I bf him at night and he used to do every 2 hours or so for the first 6 weeks, but then he settled into a longer sleeping pattern. My first AF was when he was around 2 months old, so maybe once there was no demand for night feeding my AF returned. Don't know to be honest how this sort of thing works. But, (just a thought) if it was a case of night feeding holding off AF, what about the babies who sleep through at 6 weeks and mum's still don't get an AF until they stop bf at 6 months or something ???

Jayne x

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hi Sue

The prolactin release in response to night time feeding is greater at night than during the day. Which is why sometimes you will hear health professionals dicussing that milk production gets its greatest boost when your baby feeds at night.

The sucking which results in the increased prolactin levels can suppress ovulation (reason why remains unclear).

For me though although I breast fed my af returned as normal about 6 weeks after Alexandra was born!

Hope this helps

Love

Jeanette xxxxxx

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sue - I think everyone is different. I certainly wouldn't stop breastfeeding Iestyn just so your periods come back. Mine started about 5 months after Hannah was born (I can't remember for certain now) and I was breastfeeding her until she was 10 months. I got into a regular cycle virtually straight away, but I've never really had problems with an irregular cycle anyway.

Hope this helps,

Celia

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hi Sue

I breastfed my daughter for 8 months and my periods came back after about 7 months. They were very irregular at first (I'd always been a 28 day girl prior to giving birth) and even now aren't at all regular so I'm off to the GP to find out what's going on. The feeding at night certainly didn't affect things 'cos she slept through from 6 weeks.

Jules

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Girls - I guess it is just a case of sit tight and wait! Each one of you has had a different experience. I still can't believe I'm sat here wishing an AF on myself! I hate them!!!!

Love,

Sue xxxxxxxx

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sue

I'm still devoid of an AF and am still exculsively BF. Jessica is nearly 15 weeks now and I've still not felt so much as a twinge. I did a pregnancy test this week as I had started thinking that by some miracle (and we all know now that they do happen) our one 'risky' episode since Jessica was born may have resulted in a positive. I do notice that my usual indicators are around...greasy hair...spots etc. on something like a monthy basis.

I know I'll curse them when they return but will welcome them too (for one it will remind me of my first contractions....I don't think I'll quite ever view Af the same again). I don't think it's barmy to be thinking about another bambino. We are just so thrilled with Jessica and want to give her everything and that includes the love of a silbling.

Love Angexxxxxx

·
Registered
577 Posts
My friend has breastfeed all of her three kids, and did not get a period for a year!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts