Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 389 Posts

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I wanted to start a thread for breast feeding, not so much as a health visitor (although I will give advice) but as a mum.

When I breast fed my daughter I wasnt a health visitor at the time and the one that I did have left me to it!

I would have valued support from other mums in the same position. I remember the first weeks were extremley difficult and I felt like a 'milk machine'. Those mums that just take to it are really lucky.

I think that with my dd being premature it made it harder. But it was worth all the heart ache.

I will post some support group contact numbers later.

Love

Jeanette

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Just wanted to post here to say that I wish someone like Jeanette had been round, even on line, for me. Breast feeding was intensly difficult in the first few weeks for me, and I found no support. HV's simply said I was doing fine until it was too late and Laura simply slid off the percentage weight charts and we had to introduce a bottle at 10 weeks. I fed for 90 minutes each side, and some days she didn't seem to get off the breast all day, and I would have constant neck ache and would simply weep with exhaustion. :-[ (It was a fab way to get thin though - never been so thin). I think an emergency phone network would be great, and I'm willing to be a volunteer if people need another Mum to talk to on bad days.

Fee xx :)

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Fee

I think thats a great idea!

I also felt unsupported and wept easily. I suppose thats why I felt that I wanted to do this.

Love

Jeanettexxxxx

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
hello, does breast feeding really make you loose weight?
i thought it was a gimmik!

ive been breast feeding since the birth and love it ...and find it easy.but its the demand that does me in, im just sooooooooooooooo tires :p
is mix feeding ok
xx

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Becca

Yes you can loose weight if you breast feed , but you need to do it for about 6 months to really have the long term benefits.

It is tiring, so its important that you rest as much as you can (I know thats difficult!) and eat a really good diet. You should be having around a pint of full fat milk each day as well, if you can.

You can mix feed, but it takes approx 10 weeks for breast feeding to be established. Some mums are really lucky and can combine from day one. If you introduce a bottle before that time you run the risk of the baby not wanting to breast feed. During breast feeding your baby has to work! Bottle feeding doesnt take that much effort!

If you express milk its a little different to the sucking technique that a baby uses. The 'let down' feeling is difficult to have and often you produce little milk breast feeding. If you are really lucky, you can produce loads!

If you do decide to combine feeding, try not to be the person who gives the baby the bottled milk. Your baby will soon learn the difference between what she/he gets from you and what she/he gets from a bottle! This will greatly reduce your baby not wanting to breast feed.

Good luck. I did combination feeding (breast/expressed) as I found the night times awful. I left it until she was about 6 months. I made the decision to do this when I returned to work. From about 12months I just breast feed morning and at bedtime. All other feeds were formula.

You really have to do what you feel is best. Just try not to be the person to feed the bottled milk (only until it is well established and this wont take long).

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Love

Jeanette

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
I think this thread is excellent, and I so wished I could've had the support when I was feeding my son. Like Becca, I found it easy to feed, but found the demand side really wearing. Jeanette's advice is fantastic (particularly with regards to combining). I didn't combine last time until later on, but am going to try it this time from day 1. Although, to be honest, I think I just need to see what the baby's personality is like, and how he feeds, etc. before deciding for certain. Ultimately I would prefer him to have breast milk, and for me to suffer a bit as I know it's not for ever. It's not easy, but it is worth it (bit like pregnancy really ;D ).

J

·
Registered
263 Posts
I agree that this is a great idea. I find breast feeding quite easy and am still doing it at nearly 6 months (not quite sure what I'll do when the teeth arrive though!!) I am happy to give moral support for those early weeks when you never think you'll get out of the house again!! However I would like to add that the NCT run a national helpline run by trained breastfeeding counsellors and if you really are having problems you shouldn't struggle on you should seek help. The phone number is 0870 444 8708. I know a couple of ladies who are breastfeeding counsellors - they have to put in a lot of work to be trained and it is all done voluntarily.

Hope this is of help

Celia

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dear all

As promised earlier here are a list of vonuntary groups that provide support and advice for breat feeding mums!

Association of Breastfeeding mothers:
PO Box 207
Bridgewater
Somerset
TA6 7YT
tel: (020) 7813 1481. This is recorded information only, but they also have local support groups. You will need to send an SAE for info on support groups.

La Leche League
BM 3424
London
WCIN 3XX
tel: (020) 7242 1278.
Offers personal counselling and local support groups. You will need to send an SAE for info on support groups.

National child birth Trust
Alexandra House
Oldham Terrace
London
W3 6NH
An alternative number to the one given by Celia (thankyou Celia) is (020) 8992 8637 (avavilable mon-fri 9.30-4.30pm). Write to the above address for details of local branch and info pack.

Hope that helps.

Love

Jeanette

·
Registered
172 Posts
This thread is great. I called the NCT helpline a couple of times and they were good...the 0870 444 8708 number is available out-of-hours, and if you are 'in crisis' then you get straight through to someone, otherwise someone will call you back.

What really got me through was nipple shields (I laughed about these before I knew what a god send they can be!) My health visitor and the NCT don't like them; if the problem is a positioning one they don't really encourage the baby to improve this, and they apparently don't stimulate the breast to produce milk enough. That said, first time I used them I could have cried with relief. Up to then, sometimes my toes would curl up it was so painful to feed my daughter. They were a lifeline. I didnt use them every time, and I can honestly say they helped me keep going when my only other choice was to just give up. So I'd recommend them as a stand-by to anyone.

By the way, tonight is the first night that I'm not going to feed katie at 10pm. She's only been taking three ounces lately, and I think she should have dropped this feed well before now. Thing is, she sleeps really well, and you know what its like - you don't like to rock the apple cart when things are going well. So lets see if we get a 4am wake up call in the morning! Will let you know!

Jeanette, when do most mums give up breastfeeding? the NCT told me that babies lose the ability to suck and breath at the same time, starting about nine months, Would you agree with this?

It's great to have you on this board by the way

Lucy

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Lucy

The World Health Orgainisation recommend breast feeding exclusively for the first six months and then continual whilst introducing solids.

Other research suggests that breast feeding for the first four months will give your little one the best start in life. For the long term benefits to yourself from breast feeding, you need to do it for a minimum of 6 months.

Personally, do it for as long as you are able, whether it be for a few weeks or months. Your child will still benefit from its goodness if you only breast feed for a few weeks.

I found that when I went back to work I needed to look at what I was doing.

When breast feeding (or even bottle feeding), your baby 'stop starts' so even if they lost this ability to breathe and suck at the same time it doesnt really matter as what is important is the feeding technique that your baby uses.

Let me know if I havent answer your question! I wont be offended at all!

Love

Jeanettex

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Lucy

I also meant to say -hope tonight went ok.

I also had to use nipple shields in the early days. They do serve a purpose but they really shouldnt be used if breast feeding. I wont go into why but if anyone wants to know just ask!

Im really going this time

Love

Jeanette

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks Jeanette!!

I am still breastfeeding at 5 months, although Katie has been on solids for ages (can't imagine not weaning til 6 months to be honest). What I have noticed is that she has really lost interest in breastfeeding, and hardly seems to have anything now. She seems to be healthy though, so I suppose I'm not too worried. When I go back to work in october it will be hard to breastfeed other than at night and in the morning. Should I therefore try to introduce bottles for the other feeds during september? What happens to me, does everything just 'dry up'? Will I still get the health benefits myself even if I am only feeding her twice a day?

Glad you used nipple shields too! My health visitor was lovely but a bit dippy, and rather than work with me to get some practical solutions she would just tell me they were evil! I'd tell her that I was going to use them anyway, so could she help me, and she would be almost overcome with panic 'but Lucy you MUSTN'T !!!' We ended up calling her Tubbs (after a character on League of Gentlemen) but she was lovely in the end, and very supportive when colic and crying set in.

Well, Katie didnt have her 10pm feed last night and she did sleep through until about 6.30am, so we are really pleased! Lets hope this can carry on though, I don't want to tempt fate!

Hope everyone else is ok. I'd be glad to hear from any of you about how you 'eased off' on the breastfeeding front, although as I say I don't want to give up for a bit .

Lucy x

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Lucy

When I went back to work I breast feed morning and night. Other times she had a bottle, initially with expressed milk (I built a stock up in the freezer) then with formula milk.

September time will be good for introducing a bottle. As I have mentioned, dont be the person to give Katie the bottle until she is settled into this feeding regime.

Because you have breast feed for so long (and well done!) you will still have the long term benefits from it so dont worry. Your body will produce what milk is required. Change the feeds over in the day gradually as (try with the lunchtime one first) you will become uncomfortable! I was very engourged for about a week but your body will soon get the message! Unless you want to, try not to express milk during the day as your body will continue to produce milk at these times.

I found breast feeding morning and night really relaxing when I went back to work. I did this until Alexandra was 15 months old. You may find that eventually you just give Katie a night time breast feed. Both you and Katie have had the benefits.

What teats are you considering using? I cant recommend any particular type, but I had a mum who was having difficuly combining feeding so she swapped to a 'nuk' teat which is shaped very much like a nipple in the mouth.

Good luck

Love

Jeanette

ps I couldnt imagine not weaning until 6 months either!

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
morning !

well i have been mix feeding for nearly a wk and i have a new boy ;D hes sooooooooo happy ! do you think i wasnt giving him enough? or producing??

he goes every 3-4hrs now as before he was on me all the time .
i give him boobie trough out the night and for breakfast.. as i didnt want to give it up but i was getting so tired from it all. and now im more confident as i always came home ready for hes next feed when i was breast feeding him in the day. hes 7wks now so i have given him a good start. will he benifit from a mix feed !?? hes on cow and gate.

becca xxx ohhhhhhhh i love this thread for mummys.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Becca

Welll done!

Babies have a growing spurt around this age so you will probably find that he was feeding more for this reason (and for comfort!).

He will benefit from both. This way its likely that you will breast feed a little longer than what you may have done if you breast feed soley.

I know that as a health professional I preach 'breast is best' which is true but on a personal note you will read that I combined both. You have to do what is best for you and your baby.

Keep up the good work! Dont forget to eat well (no dieting) and to try and drink approx pint of full fat milk daily!

Jeanette

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
What a brilliant thread!!!!

Jules xxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for your help jeanette, everything is going well.

Becca, I also used to have problems with katie staying on the breast for hours. Her record was three hours one evening, and in the end she had her first bottle (I cried - now I laugh thinking about this!) I think a lot of it is just comfort on the babies part, and I don't think I fully appreciated that a new baby is also learning about the process as much as the mother. Really glad its going well now

Lucy x

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Becca, I'm so pleased the mixed feeding is going well for you. Baby will be getting the best from you still, and you'll be getting a little more rest. It was certainly the way to go with my son and (as I've said previously), the way I hope to go when my baby is born. As Jeanette says, chances are you'll now continue with some breast milk for a lot longer and that's got to be of benefit to you and baby.

Love

J

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
morning.

ohhhhhhhhhh bugger im on antibiotics and cant breast feed for a week, and whats strange i havent needed to express any milk as have NO discomfort as yet!! am i drying up??

will it upset jacks tummy if i was to go back to my routine of boobie feeds in the night?

??? confused becca
xx

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Becca

I will answer your question fully later (my mobile hairdresser is here!)

Can you tell me what you are on the antibiotics for ? (IM if you prefer)

Also, when did you stop breast feeding?

Speak to you later

Love

Jeanettexx

1 - 20 of 389 Posts