Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
looking for some advice please.  My LO is nearly 4 weeks old.  he was a big baby 9lb11  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:.  in hosp I had to give him some formula as he was just soooo hungry and my milk was not it.  I have pesevered with bf although have found it sooo painful, have suffered with bleeding nips and mastitis.  I have had hv, mw and a support counsellor out who have all offered me conflicting advice.  ok the problem is that francis wants to feed a lot, every 2hours, he would feed for hours at a time too.  I have had to restrict his sucking time to 20mins each time, I do pull him off if he is comfort sucking and not feeding (had to due to soreness/bleeding etc).  in the early days I was also expressing bewtenn times to top him up 2-3oz at night but no longer have time to do this.  i have sometimes topped him up with formula also 2-3oz at bed time feed.  francis will on some of the feeds (was just evenings initially but now not time specific) pull back off the nipple crying drawing his legs up and is very hard to console.  he goes red in the face and is panicky.  last night this rsulted in me feeding him for over 2 hours.  i was thinking it may be colic but now not sure as it doesn't last long.  could he still be hungry??

i really want to pesevere with th bf.

francis only lost 2% BIRTHWEIGHT AND Was over 10lb at last weigh, hes getting weighed tomorrow.

please could anyone advise what i should be doing with my very hungry baby! and what this crying is, sounn ike a car starting up!

better go feed time-thanks

strawbs xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Hi Strawbs,

Both of my babies were large babies too and seemed to feed constantly for the first couple of months so you're doing well to be feeding only every 2 hours!! Have you tried giving him a dummy inbetween feeds if he's a sucky baby? Also you could try using infacol if he's struggling with wind but it needs to be given at every feed as it has a culminative effect.

How is your diet? You need to make sure you are eating properly or the quality of your milk will suffer. Also, does he stay on one side long enough to get the hind milk which is the fatty, higher calorie stuff?

The one thing I would say is try not to top up feeds with formula - if you want to mix feed (and there's no reason why you can't do this successfully) it's better to choose a complete feed to make formula, normally a bedtime one as it should help him sleep a bit longer. I 'topped up' with ds on the advice of a paediatrician, and it was a slippery slope to 100% formula feeding as he would just mess about knowing formula was coming. Also I never knew when he'd had a decent feed so at what point to stop. With dd I tried doing it the other way and mixed fed for 4/5 months.

It's flippin' hard work but it WILL get easier.

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Its sooo hard in the early days.  With regard to the conflicting advice, I'd pick one person I trust, and follow that persons advice.  preferably someone who has had some training with lactation.  In my experience midwives are fantastic for anything birth related, but not so hot on anything breastfed related, particularly after the first few days.

Also, it is pretty common for babies to take up to an hour to take a 'full' feed.  Mine too that long for about the first 6 weeks.  So 20 mins might not be enough.  If you could get the latch right, and last a little longer with the feeding, you  might get a couple of 3 hour stretches....?  Breast fed babies do feed often, but on the plus side, with a bigger baby, if you can get a big feed into him, he might even do the odd 4 hour stretch!

It sounds like me might need to burp or fart when he is pulling off, and pulling up his legs.

I know this doesnt give you much consolation now, but as chux said, it DOES get better.
You may have been advised not to introduce a dummy?  But you might like to give one a try.  I never found they interferred with feeding.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi
thanks fir the advice.  Francis feeds approx 20mins each side, he has now got a dummy which helps a bit.  he got weighed today hes not quite 4wks old & was 11lb3  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:, that has made me happy he is getting enough so is not hungry.  i may as chux suggests make up one whole formula feed at night to give me a break!  I have some infacol but am reluctant to try yet as has e numbers & sweetner in but will use if this continues.

must just persevere!!

strawbsxx

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hiya
I've got one exactly the same as you hun  ;)
It WILL get easier, I promise, but even knowing this I'm struggling to remember that it does  ;D

Sadie wasn't quite so big but the rest of the story is the same, formula in hospital because she did nothing but suck and I had nothing left til my milk came in and then boy did it come in  :eek:

I also find BF very painful, not from sore nips so much as very tender breasts and pain in the ducts, I have a pretty strong and painful letdown too.  I had the same situation with Matthew and then one day I just realised it didn't really hurt any more  :)

My advice would be similar to the others - let him suck for more than 20 minutes - it can often take much longer than that in the first weeks. 
I did try a formula feed at night but Sadie is a sicky as well as a sucky baby and she just kept chucking it up, but do try it if you can.  If you're able to express enough, then leave some for DH to do last feed and go to bed to get some rest.

Infacol is my friend  :) 

Sadie found her fingers a couple of weeks ago, a dummy wasn't really up her street, but since she started sucking her fist things are improving a bit.

Good luck honey

Claire x

196 Posts
Hi Strawbs

Arran did the crying/fussing at the boob thing for a while. There are various reasons - this website takes you through some- http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html I thought Arran was bothered by over active letdown only to find later that I had under active let down in the evenings (pretty common apparently!). it does get gradually better!

The website is really good for latching problems too if you are still getting sore.

Hope things improve soon.

love kathryn xxx

/links

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
PS strawbs I meant to say that Sadie draws her legs up mid feed and gets very fussy around the breast.  I get her upright and she does a fantastic burp and then she cries because she's hungry again! so back on for more. 
The legs drawing up sounds like Francis has wind  ;)

Claire x

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok please help.............................

francis is wanting to feed even more, he is getting so stressed abd pulling back off the breast every feed, i have squeezed my nips and milk is still coming but i think not quick enouigh for him.  i fed him at 9pm until 11 last night and still had to give him 4oz formula which he gulped down, he then had a really long slee 5.5hrs.  i have now been feeding him constantly since 9.15-still doing it now, he has been pulling back and crying.  my plan was to express some too an hr after this feed to try and avoid fornula.  i am getting worried that i just cant fill my baby.  i have read jeanettes tips and will get some of the tea she reccommends, any other tips.  I am on the verge of giving this up, i feel quite down about it.  i have been winding him a lot too

thanks strawbs xxx

196 Posts
The link I put above has a check list to go through to find out why Francis is fussing. It's good and thorough so you should work it out- though there might be more than one reason for him doing it.

It worked for us- though Arran still does it sometimes. If it's too bad I just take him off for a bit, calm him down and try later. It seems pretty common to have long feeds in the evening- just make sure you have the TV remote, drinks and snacks at hand!

If his weight is OK and he has wet nappies you've got enough milk for him ^hugme^ ^hugme^

love Kathryn xxx

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi kathryn have just read some articles on the link v.interseting esp the topping up with formula one.  thanks.

francis now asleep in my arms so have just managed to express 80ml just under 2oz that is 30mins after finishing a 2hr feed so there is plenty of milk.  i am hoping that this is a sign he may start to go longer between feeds now shall see.  he poos and wees loads and weight gain fantastic back on 98th centile :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

finding this soooo hard with such a hungry baby sometimes feel like a milking machine, was meant to be meeting nct girls at 3pm but dont think that will happen as when out if we embark on feeding it could be 2hrs! 

thanks again xx

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Go to Nct honey, it'll do you good to get out  ;)
If it's a real pain to feed him when you're out, invite them round to yours  :)
You need some company and support right now, that's exactly what nct is for.

When they start pulling back like that I actually think the best thing is to take them off the breast, give them a good wind and a cuddle and they often fall asleep - and it turns out it's an uncomfy tummy, not hunger that's causing the fussing.  If he still wants to feed later, he'll let you know  ;)

Sadie just did the exact same thing to me at 1030 this morning, she 'should' really have wanted feeding but was arching so much I just cuddled, patted and rubbed her back and she feel asleep.  I think she'll want a bigger feed in a bit.

Clairex

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi
just to update here, after a really really difficult week with francis, screaming (turning blue in the process) and fussing and taking 2-3hrs to get him to bed, disturbed nights with him being very unsettled and fretful, it seems he has silent reflux.  I am a bit annoyed that this may not have been picked up sooner as all the signs point to it. I have mentioned to doctors, mw and HV all the roblems I have been having.  I had to rule out colic, trapped wind, overtiredness. I thought reflux meant babies have to be sick but with silent reflux they don't and constant feeding is a sign.  I have today been given a script for infant gaviscon so will be starting that at his next feed.  I so hope it works it is horrible seeing my precious baby in pain and horrible not getting a restful sleep.  I have elevated his mattress and will be elevating his change mat.  my poor baby  ^eyes^ ^eyes^ ^eyes^ ^eyes^ ^eyes^

keep you posted

strawbs xx

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Aww Strawbs, poor baby.  At least you have a diagnosis - it's commonly missed so hopefully you can get on with helping him feel better and get some sleep.

let us know how you get on  ;)

Claire x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts