Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies

We've decided to buy a new car as when the bubs arrive, we will all struggle in our little car.

I just wondered what cars you drove, what you would recommend and what you would avoid?  I know we'll need shed loads of boot space and while my DH is doing LOADS of research  ::) I thought I'd ask you ladies what you think.

Thanks!

Sezzxxx

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi,

I'm not a twin mummy, but a mummy with 3 very small children. I recently took delivery of a VW Touran and am absolutely loving it  :)

S xx

G

·
Touran, Ford Galaxy, Vauxhall Zafira, Kia Sedona, Mazda 5.  The last 2 have sliding rear doors which are very good when you find yourself boxed in by some inconsiderate idiot.

I would also recommend getting a car from somewhere that has a garage nearby to you for servicing so you don't have to mess about with courtesy car booking / taking forever to get to after getting bubs into car.

·
Registered
586 Posts
We have a Volvo XC90 and it's got plenty of boot space for pram, dog  ::) and all the usual stuff...  :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi
Bmw X5 loads of boot space fits powertwin with wheels on and loads of shopping
Annette

·
Registered
52 Posts
We bought a Honda FRV, because we didn't want a massive 4x4 (well hubby did but he wasn't the one that was going to have to drive it all day, so I won the battle there) but still needed something that was big enough for all the family (me, hubby, his two boys and our twins). It has 6 seats, 3 in the front and 3 in the back, so isn't really long, is so comfy and has plenty of boot space for our double buggie and more. I would definitely recommend having a look at it.

Macks x

·
Registered
312 Posts
We have a Vauxhall Zafira which is fine for us, our boys, their buggy & the kitchen sink we need everytime we leave the house.....

City Chic x

·
Registered
477 Posts
we have bought a vw golf and its really spacious, we bought the icandy pear which fits in no bother

·
Registered
586 Posts
oooo Annette - we had to sell  :eek: our X5 cos the boot was too small  :'(. But we had the older version not the new one with 7 seats. And we need to be able to fit in a Nipper Double, a big male Labrador as well as shopping/bags/packing/etc.
I still miss it, it was such a lovely car  :'(. The XC90 is very practical and fits our needs but it's boooooring  :mad:  :-X

How sad am I  ;D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi
I'm expecting twins in about 8 weeks and i have bought a ford cmax. I love it. it has loads of child friendly features such as those aeroplane type trays int he back so when they are a bit older they can eat and colour and stuff, and a special mirror in the front to see the kids int he back etc. ALso a brilliant boot in which i can get the mountain buggy urban double with carrycots and all the other bits i will need to take if i go away with the twins.

H.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all this info - much better to get some valid opinions rather than looking at the car specs!

I will talk to DH about these options, as we haven't bought the pram/travel system yet, which I guess we'll have to get at some point before buying a car, so it's helpful to know which car can fit all this stuff.  DH is quite keen on the Volvo - one of the reasons I managed to persuade him to go to the Babyshow this weekend as it's sponsored by Volvo... ::)

Crazy we have a Golf at the moment, and I wasn't sure if it would fit carrycots etc, we were also considering the iCandy, so this is good to know.

Decisions decisions...

Thanks
S xxx

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have the Ford S-Max and it's fantastic.  It's a seven seater, we have 3 second stage car seats in the second row and a huge boot if the 2 back seats are folded down.  With all 7 seats up we can still fit our MacLaren Twin Techno in the boot and forgot to say there's loads of storage space in the second row....I can actually climb into the second row without a struggle to strap in whoever is sitting in the middle.  Worth every penny.

G

·
We have the Zafira and don't use the 3rd row of seats so boot is huge.  If we did, then we could only really use 1 of the seats as the Jane powertwin pro chassis would not fit in so this is a drawback if you need that space.
Car is easy to park (even for me!), visibility excellent and I can also jump through the middle of the front seats to fasten in the car seats if raining.

·
Registered
439 Posts
HI
Just wanted to add that we have a golf and have managed fine... We can fit 2 travel cots and 2 single buggies plus all our luggage for a week away. When i'm on my own i have the side by side graco, andit just fits in, but then i have to put shopping on passenger seat. However when we have no.3 in August we are REALLY going to have to get something bigger!
JJ

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
We've just bought a nissan almera and it has loads of space for the phil & teds buggy which is our choice of pushchair. There was even enough space round the buggy to fit in my weekly shop when I went last weekend.

The seats and everything fit in well and are now being stored in the car until babes arrive.

I liked it as its not too big and I dont park big cars well, tend to reverse into things!

Sal

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have a renault scenic and I think it's great.  Massive boot, lots of nooks and crannies, trays in front of the back seats and all mod cons.  WOuld never go back to a "normal" car as I like the height of the scenic.  It's an 01 plate and been round the clock once (deisel) but I will be hanging on to it for a while yet as I love it!!!

Kx

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've got a scenic - 7 seater.  No babies yet, but the boot is huge so plenty of space!

I love it!

x

·
Registered
377 Posts
WOW some lucky ladies - wopuld love the tourag and volvo xc90 as i have horses and would like something to pull the trailer. however had to settle for the grand scenic. we have a volvo v70 but it is very low so not much boot space and i am killing my back getting bubs in and out. good luck

G

·
About your back - funnily enough I just posted that on another thread.  It's so much easier with a people carrier to lift the baby up and not have to bend down again. 

1 - 20 of 20 Posts