Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all- sorry for yet another question!
Despite my very best efforts I have been told today that I will be having a c-section delivery in 12 days as Bubs is quite firmly breech.
Now I know there's still time to turn etc but what I would like to know though from all of you who have had sections for one reason or another is what advice would you give, what do you wish you had known before such as what to take to hospital what helped you while you were there and what if anything helped your recovery?

Thanking you very muchly! :)

Dawn x

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Hi Dawn,

I'm sorry Bubs still hasn't turned for you hun, but I guess you can now at least prepare yourself for the c-section if that's still the case in 12 days. ^hugme^ ^hugme^

So, obviously I haven't any direct experience of this or birth of any description ::) but a couple of things I remember thinking were good to be told about the actual procedure (from our child birth class) are:

* normally, your partner won't be allowed in the O.R. until you're fully prepped and laid on the table (this shocked me! :mad: Why the heck not I thought - it's not like they're gonna get in the way or meddle with anything! ::) Our instructor said there'd be no harm in trying to insist DH came in with me at the very start if we had to have a c-section - I mean, who else can keep you calm and help you through it all better than DH?? ???)
* you'll typically have an epidural or a spinal for the procedure, which generally means you'll also have a bladder catheter inserted
* often both arms are strapped down to minimise movement
* you should encourage DH to talk you through what is happening as it happens, because often the medical team are pretty much getting on with the job and don't always acknowledge and talk to Mum as much as you'd like
* you're unlikely to get much more than a fleeting glimpse of your little one once he/she is born - they tend to whisk them straight to the warming station to do all the checks etc while you're sorted out - this might not even be in your line of sight so Dad might want to zip over there and give you a report on what's happening - again apparently they're not always quick off the mark to give mum all the info she's dying to know... like is the baby ok!
* if all went well baby will probably be ready to leave the O.R. before they're done fixing you up... it depends on the place and staffing etc whether your little one is able to linger with you or if they are taken up to the nursery and reunited with you later - you'll need to decide whether dad goes with Bubs or stays with you under such circs.

Hmm - I think that was it. I hope it doesn't come across as negative or anything - it's just a matter of fact I think and something I was glad to be told so you at least know what to expect. Others who reply may tell you otherwise and have more words of wisdom for you but I hope that helps one way or another.

Take care hun, and who knows, Bubs might surprise you with a last minute somersault. ^reiki^ ^pray^ ^hugme^
Love Trip xx

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Hi there

I had a c-section and it was tbh great! I am going to go through tripitakas child birth class info....

* normally, your partner won't be allowed in the O.R. until you're fully prepped and laid on the table* -erm no. DP came with me down to the theatre and brought the camera and stuff for the baby. Stayed with me the whole time...
*you'll typically have an epidural or a spinal for the procedure, which generally means you'll also have a bladder catheter inserted - correct but you dont feel this at all. The epidural was a little scary as it hurt a little- like a strong pinprick but they just put more anaesthetic in, they got dp to hold my shoulders still while putting it in

often both arms are strapped down to minimise movement - nope didnt happen to me at all.

* you should encourage DH to talk you through what is happening as it happens, because often the medical team are pretty much getting on with the job and don't always acknowledge and talk to Mum as much as you'd like - nope I had a professional stood to the right keeping me calm explaining everything and it was very friendly and chatty. We even had a kind of bet on the time k would acutallly appear...!

* you're unlikely to get much more than a fleeting glimpse of your little one once he/she is born - they tend to whisk them straight to the warming station to do all the checks etc while you're sorted out - this might not even be in your line of sight so Dad might want to zip over there and give you a report on what's happening - again apparently they're not always quick off the mark to give mum all the info she's dying to know... like is the baby ok! - this is kinda true actually it felt like she was gone forever but only about 5 mins.....they let me hold her before they had finished tidying me up...! I think I got a good view of her first though...!

* if all went well baby will probably be ready to leave the O.R. before they're done fixing you up... it depends on the place and staffing etc whether your little one is able to linger with you or if they are taken up to the nursery and reunited with you later - you'll need to decide whether dad goes with Bubs or stays with you under such circs. - again not in my experience. We were both up together and pretty soon after.

Other things:

It only took 1/2 hour from when we left the ward to K's official birth time!

I was in hospital for 3 nights

I was amazed how quickly I recovered was expecting a massive amount of bed rest and also masses of bleeding. You can bleed less after a csection and in my experience it was better than a normal AF and I had stopped bleeding before I left the hospital and only used about 4 pads a day. (I did however get a second 1 day of bleeding a week later). My maternity mats are still in the cupboard....as are 4/5 pack of mat pads!

I was walking round my room the next morning (had K at lunchtime on a Monday) and had the catheter out then. The scar healed nicely and just occasionally feels a bit numb. I was out shopping tentatively on the Saturday. Was a bit unsteady for a couple of weeks but able to go on the bus after 2w and walk the 20mins to baby club when K was 3w old.

Milk can be delayed after a c-section and in fact I didnt really get any. Just bear this in mind.

It takes you longer to lose the baby weight esp if you dont bf.

Take some food in with you (I was forgotten)

You can find your estimated delivery time put back as emergencies take priority...we arrived at 8am and had K just before 1

The most painful bit of the whole thing for me was actually the bp monitor squeezing my arm.

I know its not really what you want hon, but my experience of the birth itself was very positive. I was dreading the recovery afterwards and it was fine... Though you can stay a little numb after an epidural for up to 6m...Hope that helps...

(Obviously this is just my experience).

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
normally, your partner won't be allowed in the O.R. until you're fully prepped and laid on the table* -DH never left my side, only when he was taken out by a midwife as he passed out while i was having my eppidural put in bless.

often both arms are strapped down to minimise movement - nope didnt happen to me at all. but i did shake unconrolably from the drugs :(

* you should encourage DH to talk you through what is happening as it happens, because often the medical team are pretty much getting on with the job and don't always acknowledge and talk to Mum as much as you'd like - My
dh talked rubbish the whole way through, going on about diomond rings and that i never had to go camping again
;D ;D the nurse on my left was my best friend my mum and my support the whole way through telling me what went on funny how i will never see her agin ^idiot^

* you're unlikely to get much more than a fleeting glimpse of your little one once he/she is born - they tend to whisk them straight to the warming station to do all the checks etc while you're sorted out - both my girls were with me in about 5 mins all bubble wraped and warm*

if all went well baby will probably be ready to leave the O.R. before they're done fixing you up... it depends on the place and staffing etc whether your little one is able to linger with you or if they are taken up to the nursery and reunited with you later - you'll need to decide whether dad goes with Bubs or stays with you under such circs. - again not in my experience. We were both up together and pretty soon after.

it was the best day of my life i would do it again ( if only for the bed rest ;D ;D ;D)

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
maybe its just your hospital tripitaka!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow thanks everyone
Think like Trip's info was from a class which was very informative ( thanks Trip  ;))but there's nothing like experiencing the real thing! :)
Thanks EBW1969,Nicola and Elaine you have given really positive feedback which I appreciate ^hugme^

I was concerned about DH not being there, not seeing Bubs straight away and the arm strapped down thing ( I get claustrophobic and don't want to panic) but it sounds like the medical team are supportive, DH will be there and I will see Bubs asap!

Thanks everyone
Dawnx

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Hi ladies :)

I'm glad it seems that for at least some, and hopefully most, the info I was told was wrong.  ^afro^

It clearly varies between different hospitals and what the particular circumstances are tho, so I'm still glad to know what the potential 'worst case' might be (and yes, I agree what we're told in class is precisely that)... I always much prefer things to be better than expected than the other way round!  ;) :)

So far as the procedure itself goes Dawn, if you still have any concerns I'd have thought the best thing would be to ask very specific Qs of your cons/medical staff about what the exact procedure will be before you even get to that point, then you'll know exactly what to be prepared for from that point of view. 

I'm sure it will be just fine and like those who've done it for real have said, it will likely be far better than you could imagine and, oh my goodness, to have your little one safely in your arms will make you feel on top of the world!  :) ^hugme^  What more of a positive experience can any of us hope for!  :)

Trip xx

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Hi

Just wanted to add that I'll guarantee you the theatre staff will be relaxed and helpful. I'm a Nurse and my good friend is a theatre Nurse and she says everyone loves the elective sections as there are babies to cuddle and it's always a really happy, emotional experience for everyone there! Best bit of her job!! Your DH will almost certainly be allowed to stay with you the whole time and someone will be allocated to talk you both through what's going on! I would have to say if I was treated anything like the first poster I'd be writing a huge letter of complaint to the PCT! I've worked in 4 hospitals and never come across anyone being tied down unless they're having a General Anaesthetic for a hand/arm operation and the limb needs to be kept as still as possible. The theatre staff will be more than aware that you and DH will be anxious and that you are awake during the op, so will ensure they do everything they can to reassure you, as that's what they're trained to do! They will also get you up the next day as it will help get you mobile and help you to recover quicker. It also stops any unwanted problems caused by staying in bed. Good luck honey and don't worry ^hugme^

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Hi Dawn,

I had a c-section due to our daughter being breech too,

My advice be prepared for a potenial long wait and then everything happening at once.
We arrived around 8.30am and I was all prepped by 9am then we waited........
Eventially around 2pm they came in to our room, woke me up to say I should get some rest  ^idiot^ ^idiot^ ^idiot^
We finally headed down to theatre around 3.15pm Dh wasn't with me whilst they did epidural.
We did have music playing - it was a CD we brought along and they put on for us.
Dh joined me within a few minutes, then they started. A was born at 16.09 The docs remembered not to say what she was as we wanted to find out for ourselves, they did take her away for a few minutes, Dh went with her and he got to trim the umbilical. He brought her back to me, and she laid on my chest as I had asked to do skin to skin - whilst they finished with me, Then DH took A off to the recovery room so she could be weighed, whilst I got cleaned up. We were in the recovery room for about an hour before I was taken to the ward.
I was confind to bed for 24hours and then they get you moving very quickly after that.
I ended up being in for 4 days as I had a few feeding issues with A - I was breastfeeding.
Recovery wise for me - I only remember bleeding for a day or so, I have half a pack of mat pads in the bottom of the drawer still.
I was a little sore on the left side of wound for a few days as that was the side the isolette was on and I didn't wait for the nurses to lift A out for me.
I was up and about easily after those first 24hours - i ached a bit if i did too much, i didn't drive for six weeks after surgery as there are risks if you need to do an emergency stop. Be careful of driving before six weeks is up as some insurance companies will NOT cover you if you do have any problems before the six weeks are up.

With regard to breast feeding after c-section I did find it hard at first but not impossible, I did however manage to find some very good support at a local breast feeding cafe so that was a godsend.
I am still feeding am and pm now! She doesn't seem to want to give it up!!!!

Good luck

Toni

·
Registered
90 Posts
to add to those i will say try and get mobile asap,  maybe a day after the C-section. it helps the recovery process. i had c section with my DD and would ask for it again if i get pregnant.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I had a positive elective C Section experience - everyone was happy in the theatre, we had our choice of music playing (they said it beats the radio anyday!).  I didn't have my arms strapped down either & DH was with me the whole time which turned out to be a bad thing as he nearly passed out when they were inserting the epidural, so beware if your DH is needle phobic!!

Just a couple of things...big knickers..a must as they won't catch your scar.

Also if you can't take paracetamols on an empty stomach (like me), remember to tell the nurses as they insisted on me taking some painkillers & as I hadn't eaten in 12 hours, I went all 'funny' & ended up chucking up (prob a mixture of all the drugs pumped into me).  As a result, I was out of it for about 12 hours & DH did most of the bonding with S.

Also, they may have read your notes but not follow it (see DH & needlephobic!).

Good luck - I'm sure you'll be fine.

Ronnie
xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
My experience of a c-section was fortunately nothing like you've been told Tripitaka so I really do hope they've told you worst case scenario. Firstly dh was in with me right from the start, my arms weren't strapped down and this was never suggested, and the baby was held up for me to see and find the sex as I'd said I didn't want to be told, then went to be cleaned up and wrapped but was given straight back and stayed with me and dh while I was sewn up. The hospital I was at doesn't have a nursery and your baby is with you all the time, you are even told to take him/her to the bathroom with you when you go.

Elective sections are very relaxed and normally you can take your own music with you if you want. If you want a 'running commentary' then ask for one - I did and the anaesthetists were brilliant, telling me everything from the first cut to the waters going, to my baby being seconds away from being born. I asked for the screen to be lowered as he/she was born and they were more than happy to do this.

EBW1969 makes a good point in that emergencies take priority. I was first on the list for the day and told at 8.30am they'd be up for me soon but it ended up being gone 10.30am because of a couple of emergencies.

I didn't find out until after that I had been given morphine and only then because I said I was very itchy - apparently this can be one of the side effects. Personally I would take all the painkillers offered for the first few days at least and then ask for extra if you need it.

Big knickers are a definite must as is a pen and paper to write lists for dh! Straws are helpful for drinking in the first 24 hours when it's particularly hard to move.

The only other thing I would say is that if something doesn't 'feel' right then say something and keep on until you are happy. I had infections after both of my sections and pretty naff recoveries, but second time was better as the minute it didn't feel right I kept on and on.

Most of all, enjoy it! I loved the actual section and the sensation of them rummaging around inside, it was just the recovery I wasn't so keen on - remember that even with a good recovery you have had major surgery and can't go straight back to 'normal' so take all the offers of help that you are given.

Chux xx

·
Registered
876 Posts
What a  great thread - thanks all for contributing. I will be having an elective C and you've made me feel so much more positive about it!
Fluffyx

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
Did the tying down happen in the USA? as in the States nurses are permitted to restrain pts differently.
If you are having a C section under GA is DH still allowed to come in or is this only if you are having an epidural?
L x

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I forgot to add..my friend who is a homeopath gave me arnica tablets (and something else,  ^idiot^, sorry!) & I'm sure it speeded up my recovery.

Ronnie
x

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi everyone
I  just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone for contributing and I'm really glad I asked the question now!  :)

I, like Fluffy, feel positive about the experience now and like Trip says feel able to ask any specific questions when I have my pre op. 

Slinkyfish, Toni Ronnie and Chux thanks, they are really positive stories with some good tips which I really appreciate.

What would we do without FF!  ;)

Dawn xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I've had another thought ;D - tell those who are waiting for the "everything is ok" phone call that you will be in theatre and then recovery for a few hours altogether so don't panic if it doesn't come when they expect.

When I had J I was already in hospital as had gone through 2 days of induction. On the third day I was told a section was looking likely, then the anaesthetist came to see me and said they'd be back for me around 1pm. I rang mum to tell her but then there was an emergency so it got delayed with me eventually toddling off around 2.30/3pm, and I was also told I'd be in recovery afterwards so texted mum to let her know. Mum said after she was so glad I'd done that as by the time I got back to the ward it was just after 6pm, and if she hadn't known she'd have been panicking thinking something had gone wrong.

Also, if you are doing antenatal/parentcraft sessions which include a tour of the hospital, ask if you can have a look in the theatre - you never know, if it's not in use you may be able to.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
JJ1 - yes, I am in the States so maybe restraining one or both arms is more common here - I think it depends on what drips/monitors you need to be attached to as well (in one or both arms) and all kinds of stuff I'm clueless about. Like others have said tho it's clearly not always the case to be restrained at all... also I should add, 'strapping your arms down' probably sounds a bit extreme and I don't think it's like they tie you down really tightly or anything! :eek: ;D Just enough to prevent any unexpected flailing I suppose, if they do it at all. Like Chux says I think GA is entirely different to epidural etc and partners wouldn't be allowed in under such circs... they'd be no use ayway I guess if you're out for the count. ::)

Chux - on the tour of our hospital we got to stand at the doors to the two theaters they have in the birthing centre (no windows in them either), but weren't allowed inside because of precautions to keep the place sterile etc. Other places might be different tho so it's always worth asking I say!

Dawn - I'm so glad you're feeling positive about it all :) and I'm sorry if my first post seemed to err on the negative side - totally unintentional and hopefully when you ask all your great Qs at the pre-op your mind will be completely set at ease over everything. :) ^hugme^

Wishing you all the best,
Trip xx

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Trip
Like you the only info I had previously was from leaflets and class so wanted some real experiences thathave turned out to be positive which is great :)
Am sure will have plenty of questions to ask on the day! ::)

Thanks again for everyone's posts
Dawnx

1 - 20 of 62 Posts