Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

Is it true that caffeine is so bad for us when ttc.  I know I shouldn't read too much into some stuff I read on the internet but just read an article that said caffeine caused spontaneous abortion!!!!

I personally cannot live without my coffee and drink on average three to four small cups a day.  Is it also true that the de-caff stuff is even worse for us than the normal!

It gets to the stage where more or less everything you eat or drink these days has a detrimental affect on your fertility!!!

Love

Karen xxx

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Karen-C,

First of all I'm not a nurse.  I've heard that caffeine isn't good for you if you are ttc - not sure how exactly.  When I was ttc I drank organic decaff tea and coffee because I love tea and coffee too.

Good luck

Gina

·
Registered
110 Posts
hi karen,
i am a complete coffee addict, but when i had my first attempt of ivf i was advised by clinic no coffee or tea at all (boy was i nasty) but i have to admit i found that drinking flavoured water did the trick after 3-4 days
dont know y they say no caffiene but they do although other clinics dont ban it????
petra

·
Registered
268 Posts
hi karen,

I love my cup of tea!  Find it hard to give up tea, coffee and chocolate.  Apparently caffeine is bad for yr eggs they can be of bad quality! With this is mind I therefore on my 2ww say what the heck the eggs are already released so a spot of chocolate or a cuppa won't hurt.  I do try to keep my tea drinking down to one cup a day and drink de caff coffee the rest of the time.  It hasn't got caffiene in but they do replace it with two other stimulants.

at the end of the day there are ladies out there old and young alike that make no changes to their diet and get pg and I bet they drink tea or coffee so I try not to worry about it too much  ;)

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Caffine can apparently cause miscarriage, and can also reduce your chances of concieving by up to 50% (quoting zita west here)   
I love tea, but now drink organic decaff as well, and, to be honest, once you're drinking so much water and milk during an IVF cycle, you don't miss it at all!
I guess its up to the individual what they do, I'd say do what you're comfortable with.

Marie xx

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi Karen,

Like marielou i have also read Zita West's book, and since reading it in january have stayed well clear of tea and coffee!
Was i a coffee addict before!! Needed three cups to get me going in morning and loved my cans of diet coke. Stopped all that though, really hard at first but started on dandelion coffee - did need to get used to taste. Now i only drink herbal teas. I am used to it but only have to walk past costa coffee and those aromas get my tastebuds going!!
Zita west also quotes that not only does it increase time to conceive by 50% but also increases risk of miscarriage, low birthweight and pre-eclampsia. She also says the way decaffinated coffee is processed is just as bad.

It is really hard to give up especially in the first three to four days but hopefully will be worth it!

Good luck

Lots of love

Emmak

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi Karen

I have cut out caffeine now only had two cups in two weeks and at that it was only black tea.  I have just started drinking green tea, so hopefully that will have some benefits

Ali

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everyone

Thanks for all your responses and will try to cut my de caff out altogether.  It will be hard for me tho cos I don't really drink a lot of water either!

Ali, read on one of the sites I was on yesterday that green tea has a lot of caffeine in it also!

Seems there is something bad in everything.

Love

Karen xxx

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Marks and Spencers decaff tea is really good and tastes like the real thing. Tried Clipper Organic decaff too but it tasted like dishwater!
Elvie
x

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, I didn't realise de caff was bad for you, I was drinking de caff when I was expecting, although I lost it last week so who knows.
Sorry probably not been much help to you. Its funny though, some women drink alcohol, smoke, and even take drugs through their pregnancy and end up having a healthy baby. Makes you sick dosnt it?
Anyway, good luck.
all the best
Lisa

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lisaloo
I completely agree with your point about women who drink and take drugs and have healthy babies. Three of my friends conceived after being extremely drunk.
jayneee ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts