Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started a course on basic cake covering and Icing techniques, and was wondering if there were any others out there who would like to share experiences and ideas. I know I could do with us much advice as possible.

Emma xx

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
Hi Emma
What a good idea !!!
I am sure you are doing well :), I am doing a couple of weddding cakes at the moment, and I am finding getting the colours right a real job  :-\ :-\, its burgundy, and it is so hard, any ideas would be a great help

Love Jo
x x x

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Hiya
My Mum does a lot of cake making/decorating.. We always used to get probs with the colours too  :(
But now we don't, because we have found a cake craft  shop in the town (Luton) who you can buy the ready to roll icing (sugarpaste??) from, and they will make up the colours for you  :) :)

Maybe it's worth trying to see if there is anything like this near to you Jo

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Hiya,
I've just completed my first cake decorating and sugarcraft course, and was wondering - is there anything else you can do, any other courses, or is it best to just keep on practising until you get to a good level - good enough to make and sell cakes, for example?

Marie xx

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
My Mum started with just doing the family occasions, but we do have a large family  ;D
She then got so good that our friends asked who made the cakes etc
Then she progressed to selling cakes to the friends she has at work/church/brownies etc
The only monies she makes are all from friends of friends etc, she doesn't advertise herself  ;D

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
I have done quite a few differnt course, flower making, icing, edgings, all different one, so there are lots of different classes to do.
I started doing cakes the same way, now I advistise, its a little scary really, but they seem very happy with them :), not sure my nerves are though ;D ;D

Love Jo
x x x

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
If anyone knows any cake makers who do it for a hobby in Nottingham I am looking for a cake maker for my wedding cake, am on a small budget which is making it a nightmare - was thinking about buying 2 cakes from M&S and the tiers and getting a florist to do me a little flower arrangement on the top, have a photo of something I like but even doing it that way it'll cost £65-70 !!

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
Hi Everyone
Just finished that wedding cake with the dreaded burgundy icing :)

Here is a picture of it nearly finished :)

Love Jo
x x x

Attachments

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Jo

That cake looks stunning - i know that icing looked so difficult to do when you showed me a picture of it but you have done an excellent job, it looks like proper ribbon.

Well done clever clogs.

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Wow Jo that is amazing, you must be so patient.

Should think the bride will be thrilled to bits with that  :)

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
Thanks Girls, I have been worrying about this so much :), just pleased it is all finished now ;D

Love Jo
x x x

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
It will be an honour to do your babies cake Paula, an absolute honour :) :)

Better go and get out the christening cake book.................................:p
(See I am just as positive )  ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Jo thats really lovely. I can see why you were worried but it has turned out brilliant. I am sure the bride will be over the moon with it.

Are you still ok to do our silver wedding cake?? :)

Love Kim x x x

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Ohhh Jo...THAT CAKE IS STUNNING !  You are so clever :)

Loadsa love
x xx

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
Kim
You don't need to ask that, it goes without saying :)

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Well Done Jo, The cake is absolutely stunning !!!

There is nothing like the feeling you have right now, is there hun !! ;) You should be sooo proud of yourself !!

Shelley Xx

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
Thanks Shelley :)
Thefeeling is great, just pleased it is all done, except , of course getting to the venue ! OMG another stress ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Jo can we see some other cakes?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
WOW Jo the cake is amazing. My cousin's recent wedding in Scotland was burgundy colour for the flowers and the bridesmaids. Nothing like so lovely a cake. You simply are the best!

Fee xx

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Oh wow Jo, that cake is STUNNING!  :eek:      You're so so clever.  I only wish I was as good as you!    I had a burgendy theme for my wedding - why didnt I know you then?!!

Marie xx

1 - 20 of 29 Posts