Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been advised by a chiropractor to take calcium (not carbonate) and magnesium citrate supplements as she feels i'm lacking in them is it ok to take them whilst ttc and taking pregnacare?

·
Registered
568 Posts
hi there
Sorrry, but on what basis does she feel you are lacking in them? most supplements have magnesium in it but low  calcium as calcium interferes with the uptake of other minerals. they should be taken seperately for the best absorption. I personally feel you cant do harm in topping up in certain minerals if you have a disorder like periodproblems, anaemia, etc . why did you see a chiropracter cos calcium and magnesium is good for bones, also PMS, esp magnesium. Im not sure if you should take anything but omega 3 with Pregna care in pregnancy but eat lots of fruit/green veg, try a smoothie a day if you can
Danni

·
Premium Member
5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Danni
Thanks for the reply. 
Ok now for the boring and slightly confusing bit -It's a tad weird really but I went to see the chiropractor as my one of friends thought it could help me concieve - she fell pregnant without even trying and she had previously had treatment for a twisted pelvis she owns her own hair salon and had also heard of other women who had been ttc and managed it after this treatment. My friend kinda made me go to begin with but it turns out there was a bit of a twist to my pelvis so I started going for reg apts (im not now as I can't afford it) during one of the apt's as it seems that my pelvis wasnt really responding to the tx so she tested me for anything I could be lacking in, she had a box of vits and mins and then tipped a bit of it onto my tongue and using kinesiology on my arm it identified that im lacking in mag and cal! I did explain that I eat lots of dairy produce but she said that it doesnt always mean you will absorb it (my nails are weak and seem to peel a lot and ive also heard that may due to lack of cal?) 
I hope ive explained that ok?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi
Thanks -I think youve explained well, its just that Ive never heard of a chiropractor and IF-Ive seen reflexologists and acupuncturists in the past.  does she feel the calcium and magnesium will help you conceive? It probably wont do harm if you are not yet pregnant but in pregnancy the Pregnacare and omega 3 and extra folic acid would be good, Ny friend took Osteocare in pregnancy cos she has a family history of osteoporosis, it did her no harm.
i think its more a lack of knowledge of kineosology thats why Im not so sure.
I take a high dose multivitamin and mineral(no Vit A) and Co enzyme 10 and extra folic acid and Omega 3 at present but I will change to pregnacare (with omega 3) if I manage to conceive.
good luck on your journey
Danni xxx

·
Premium Member
5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With regards to a chiro and IF, I think its mainly do with if you suffer from a twisted pelvis, the way she explained it to me was that if it was very twisted it could therefore make labour very difficult so if your body is really in tune then it wouldnt allow conception to happen!!!! Who knows! I dont think she thought the cal & mag would help me concieve but would help my pelvis stay where she put it each time I went.  We are hoping to do ivf via egg share july/aug just awaiting last tests to be done then hopefully it will be all systems go! I literally have just started on pregnacare (today) so maybe i'll just stick with that for now! Best not to complicate things - hey?
Good luck to you too where ever you are on your journey x x x

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
i have only 60% bone density which is BAD for my age and i was literally craving cream cakes for their calcium i think.  However too much of the other stuff (vit D) is not good.  At first i took a vit called mag21 (got from marilyn glenville clinic helpline) but it was only 75mg a day and it wasnt enough as pregnancy progessed.  SO i went to doc and he gave me calcichew which are nice you suck them and they taste of orange i take 2 a day (500mg each) so at least i getting enough calcium for both bubs now.  Once i have given birth i will go onto a proper osteoporosis style tablet i think though to force the calcium into my bones as breast feeding also takes some of the calcium from your bones.

calcium can make you constipated so watch out for that.  Also can't take at same time as iron tablets.

i also try to drink tropicana calcium OJ (expensive but nice) and eat dairylea triangles and fromage frais etc which got calcium in but i just HATE milk which is why i am in this pickle!  Milk is best.  Or whitebait funny enough if you like that?  :-\

Oh i did not take any extra calcium (personal decision i never even went to doc as found out about bones through a work test) until after my cycle and i found out about bones about a month before cycle but felt with the drugs i had enough going on.  I think i waited until around 10 weeks til i started on the mag21s and moved to calcichew by about 18 weeks but really should probably have just had that from the off.

hope that helps  ^hugme^

1 - 6 of 6 Posts