Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help maybe im madbut can my 7 1/2 week old sleep too long between feeds? at night she goes 8 or 9hrs or more if i let her. she has always been an amazing sleeper and very content baby. she sleeps well in the day going about 3. and come the evening she is very hungery feeding every hour almost and then sonks out at 9 or 10 ish. i know i should be over the moon but DS was never like this and it just seams too long. am i worrying or should i just enjoy it?? would love to know if anyone else has had a baby like this?
thanks buis xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Hi buis,

I have to say I thought "good" babies were a figment of Mum's imagination and never actually believed those that said how contented or how well their newborns slept. As for feeding anything less than CONSTANT for the first couple of months.....unheard of! Yet now I have one of those "good" babies and, like you, I've spent time fretting over it.

I have been having a very similar dilemma and I notice our dd's were born the same day. Is your LO gaining weight ok and producing wet/dirty nappies? A was weighed this week ready for her jabs next week and has gained but not as much as they'd like, but she's been ill for a week so sleeping more and feeding less. My HV is coming back to reweigh her this week so, as long as she has gained, I'll hopefully relax a bit more.

One thing it has made me realise is that whether they are good sleepers/feeders/contented babies etc is probably slightly more to do with the baby than what you do!

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
Hi
My DD was just like this, she would sleep 8-9 hours from 3 weeks old :eek: :eek: She would also cluster feed in the evening - she was barely off the boob from about 5pm to 10pm, so she was stocking up for the night! I just had to keep drinking loads of water to keep the stocks up.

She gained weight well and stayed a great sleeper (until teething started :-\)

Enjoy it while it lasts!

Blu

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks both of you. very reasuring. yes lots of wet and dirty nappies. had her weighed (and injections) yesterday and she is putting on weight great. so am very relieved. and will try to enjoy it! thats so funny chux that  ours were born on the same day!! what was your due date? did you have a good birth? mine was a section at 41 +4 weeks (here in france term is 41 weeks) and she had been breech most of my preg then went head down for 2 weeks only to go transvers again 2 days before birh. again here breech deliveries are normal but was quite glad i did not end up having one! she kept turning durring labour (much to the amazment of the Drs) and so ended up being a section. now sleeps and is so calm and contended!!
take care and thanks again for quick replys very encouraging.
buis xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
That's great that she's gaining weight and producing nappies and I'd definitely take that as a sign that she's getting enough. How was she after her jabs? We have ours tomorrow.

Was your first a section too? My LO was born via section at 38+6 due to previous sections so should actually be nearly 3 weeks younger than your LO! Have you recovered ok?

Chux xx

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes 1st section was'nt looking forward to it but fine back to normal now. how about you? jabs went fine - cried her heart out but so far no temp or anything. isabelle was 8lb and yours? funny to think of 'real' age gap!!
good luck for tomorrow
buis xx

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi buis

I have been very lucky and had two babies just like this - both went a solid 8 hour stretch (11pm-7am ish) from about 9 weeks old. Evenings were more unsettled until about 4 months (and DS2 has continued to be a little unpredictable in the evenings ::) ) but overnight they were always brilliant and barring the occasional illness/bout of teething etc they still are. Both also gained weight really well. Interestingly DS1 was always a bouncing 75%ile baby, whilst DS2 is a much smaller 25%iler...but their sleep has been very very similar. It's by no means the 'typical' experience with a newborn, but if it is any consolation I know a good few 'real life' BF babies who have had similar patterns of sleep (i.e. doing that 8/9 hour stretch anything from 3 weeks onwards).

I would agree with what the others say...if weight gain is good and plenty of wet/dirty nappies then relax and enjoy and long may good sleep continue :)

Amber x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
buis said:
yes 1st section was'nt looking forward to it but fine back to normal now. how about you? jabs went fine - cried her heart out but so far no temp or anything. isabelle was 8lb and yours? funny to think of 'real' age gap!!
good luck for tomorrow
buis xx
Yup, all recovered here too which is amazing as I've had terrible recoveries from past sections. Just out of interest, what time was Isabelle born? I only ask as we named our dd Annabel (she was 8lb 2oz) so I was wondering if there were any more coincidences! That's good that she's not reacted to the jabs, did you give calpol just in case? I know they used to say to but heard a whisper that advice has now changed. ::)

Ambergrace - Wow, you have been very lucky and a couple of months ago I'd never have believed it was possible!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how weied! (sorry for my spelling, never good and worse when i'm rushing!) she was born at 13.26. we were in for 5 days - min time here, but was glad of it dispite being away from DS and DH had never left DS before! he loves her so much and is brilliant with here so all great now.
hope the jabs went well today. so much for such a little person.
buis xx almost forgot. no didn't give anything, got some doliprane from Dr in case but haven't had to use it. been keeping an eye on her temp but shes just a tiny bit grouchy - aren't we all some days!

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
A was born at 11.37am - that would have been really freaky if it were the same time! I stayed in 2 nights although could have left after 1 which is standard here now......what a difference eh. Great that your ds loves her too, isn't it just the most amazing thing to watch the older sibling?

Well A's jabs were ok I guess although she screamed the place down and has been feeding pretty much ever since. We did try giving her some meds just now but she spat it all back out so she'll have to just ride it out. The good news was she gained 8oz in the last week so she's obviously getting enough so I am not going to enjoy having a contented baby as who knows when it'll change.

C xx

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Both my BF and DD was a great sleeper, from 8 weeks sleeping about the same as your LO. Shes now nearly 5 an still a great sleeper and would still nap if I let her  ;D  DS is the opposite a complete nightmare when it comes to sleep, hes about 14 months and Im still waiting for him to consistently sleep through. He does it about twice a month. And terrible at nap times too.

So it pot luck what kind of sleeper you get. If gaining weight ok, then I would enjoy and get some sleep.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts