Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, apoplogies if ive posted this in the wrong place. I had originally posted this into Starting Out » Waiting to start/TTC and was told in one of the replies to also try it in here as well. I’m hoping you can help me with plenty information so I can understand more about the fertility testing process so that I can give my wife even more support. We had been TTC for a year and had not conceived, so went to see my wife’s doctor for advice. After a few months of initial blood tests and seeing the doctor, it was thought that my wife had endometriosis and maybe also blocked or damaged fallopian tubes. So after nearly a year of waiting for an operation, she went for a laposcopy & dye. Unfortunately I have been out of the country for a few months with my work and the operation was 2 weeks after I left and she has been for 8 blood tests since the op aswell. I am due home in about 2 weeks time and cannot wait to be back with my wife to help her through it all and take care of her again. So I am trying to find out as much as I can from others who are going through the same process or have done in the past so I can be as knowledgeable as possible to help her through it as best I can when I get home. The op was successful as the surgeons found everything to be working and no blockages. My wife has been explaining lots to me but she finds it upsetting  after the op and having to go for blood tests without me. We were told after the op that her blood would be tested around her cycle days between days 16 and 25 over the course of 3 months to test for ovulation. I am hoping someone can tell me if I’m right in thinking it is the LH levels in the blood that is tested for or are there other levels that they test for too? I believe that we were told that we can be put on a course of medication to stimulate or increase ovulation but it depends on the blood test results. My wife says that the doctors are looking for the levels to be over 30, if that means anything to anyone, but unfortunately she is having the last 3 blood tests taken this week and out of all of the bloods taken so far, the values have been anything from 2.1 up to a highest of 23.4 on day 21, so we have been disappointed so far and the low results have been putting a real strain on my wife and getting her down. Does anyone know more about what the blood tests are actually testing for and if the values are all below 30, does that mean that ovulation in not happening? And if it is not, then what will the next step in fertility testing and treatment be for us? I would be very grateful for any help with any of the above and also grateful if you have any encouraging words and advice that I can give to my wife to try keep her spirits up and so I can let her know that there is still plenty of hope and further stages in the process to take together. And if anyone has any tips in ways that I can support her though it all, then that would be brilliant as well. Thanks in advance for any help, no matter how big or small, that people can give me because it will be all very much appreciated.
Kind regards, Andrew 

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Hi Andrew

Welcome to Fertilityfriends

It sounds from your post positive that there is no blockages and your wifes Consultant seems to have cleared away the endo, so from a ttc point of view thats a positive  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

I think the blood test which you are referring to is for Progesterone, this checks whether or not Ovulation is occuring, levels of 30+ are a good sign that it is, I am not medically qualified but with levels between 2.1 and 23.4 indicate that she probably isnt, however, for years it was thought that i didnt ovulate, however when i went to the Assisted Conception Unit for IVF, (after 15 yrs ttc which wasnt just endo related) i was told its dependant on the length of cycle, as ideally the blood test should be done 7 days before AF is due at that time my cycles were 25 days so whereyby i was being tested on day 21 the levels were low indicating no ovulation so this is something to check, however there are treatments for ladies who dont ovulate naturally so it can be treated and successfully.

I presume that a dye test was carried out at the time of her surgery to check her tubes are open, if so i think that if no ovulation is taking place and all is ok with you then probably medication to help ovulation is the next option.

Like i said i am not medically qualified, but having travelled the TTC road for 17 yrs before our little one arrived It seems like your wife is getting good advice and things explained to her by her medical team which is always a good starting point am sure with your support she will be fine, If she is a member of the site, the endo chit chat thread will provide great support (as will all areas of the site) there are ladies at various stages on the thread

Am sure others will post if they can help/share any information here too

^goodluck^

Em

·
Registered
308 Posts
To check if a woman ovulates they do what is called day21 blood tests.  The results of which need to be over 30 to show ovulation is actually happening.  I had these tests done in the past and never got a positive result for ovulation.  The problem with the test is that it is based on the assumption that every woman ovulates on day 14 and her cycle is 28 days long.  In the real world this is not the case.  The reason I didn't get a postive was because I was ovulating on day 19 so day 21 was way too early to do the blood tests if I had done the tests on day 26 then the results would have been a lot different.

I finally invested in OPK's which you can get pretty cheaply on ebay.  I started testing on day 10 right through my cycle until I got the positive result.  This was how I found out I ovulate on day 19.

I hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts