Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

DH & i went to our consultation last week following our 1st IVF cycle. The conversation we had with our con was not what we were expecting. As you can see we had 2 unsuccessful IUI's last year and decided to try IVF to get more answers. I was put on the pill (Norethisterone 10mg a day) for 8 days then had my scan and started my injections (Suprecur & Puregon 100iu per day) On the 1st scan there was only 6 follies on my right side & she couldn't find my left!!! This was a shock as i had responded well on my IUI's on less drugs!!??! We were advised that it was fine & to continue. Long story short we ended up with 4 eggs being retrieved. 1 fertilised, 2 abnormally & 1 was immature. The 1 egg only reached a 7 cell then stopped dividing. :'(

Last week our con said that there may be an issue with my eggs & he'll try again with menopur instead of puregon & increase to 225iu. If i get OHSS then that is just part of pushing my body hard & worth the risk if we get a BFP. But if we don't get good results then egg donation or adoption is what we should look at.

It was like bombs going 1 after the other. DH & i spent most of last week crying, not knowing what to think or do.

After reading a few things i just don't understand how i am in this place when i've been told i respond "like a teenager" to the drugs and have no symptoms of problems (early menopause etc)

Can anyone help, have you had similar problems. We've got 2 months before we go again so i need some help 2 stop me going mad ^idiot^

xmaspud

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello xmaspud

I had a similar consultation after my first ivf. Except I was encouraged not to go again with my own eggs. I too was very surprised, and really down-heartened by this. My husband persuaded me to go again.. and I am now eleven weeks pregnant. I'm not saying it will work, just that it can.

Good luck and stay hopeful, Biddy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Thankyou biddy for replying, i know we all have our own paths to follow but its stories like yours that are so encouraging.

Xmaspud x :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi

My story is similar.  As you can see from my profile, there is a bit of history.  But, after my third abandoned cycle, my con told me to go for donor eggs.  After 4 failed DE cycles, I decided to have my AMH tested, which came back good.  Had a follicle scan a few weeks ago, and had 8 follies without being stimulated.  On my abandonded cycles, with lot's of stimulation, only managed to get 2 follies!

Not had my BFP yet, but I was not going to be written off and I'm glad I have continued as I am using my own eggs on my next cycle.

J

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi J,

I feel the same way, that I'm not prepared to give up as I don't feel we've touched the surface let alone exhausted all the possibilities!! 
What a roller coaster you've been on, I'm so pleased that your results came back with good news. I hope this is the start of a turning point for you to get your BFP.

Good luck

Xmaspud x

·
Registered
422 Posts
xmas pud,

A very similar story from me in that my first (and only) IUI was cancelled due to overresponse, then on my first IVF it took 15 days of stimming to get 6 eggs, although all fertilised, 2 were transferred and 2 frozen on day 3, so slightly different from you, although we didn't get pregnant from that cycle. It was a bit of a mystery why my response was so much less good. I had increasing doses of drugs for my second and third IVF cycles and responded well, getting 14 eggs one time (9 fertilised) and 9 the next (7 fertilised, I think, can't remember). First cycle I had 150mIU puregon, second 225 rising to 300, third 300 rising to 400 (I always respond slowly so they tend to up the dose on day 5 to try and get things going).

I got pregnant on the second cycle and on an FET after the third cycle, but miscarried both times. Got pregnant naturally on the next cycle after the second miscarriage, and had my daughter last september.

So I wouldn't rule yourself out. And I would make sure you go in for an early scan on day 5, even if your clinic doesn't usually do them, to see what's happening and to see if they need to up your dose. And good luck, I do hope it works out for you.

BG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts