Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies

Can anyone please help me?

I've just started d/r for our 1st and only funded IVF and have just had the results from my level 1 immunes tested with my GP. Two key things came up, it said I'm vitamin D deficient (<12) and that my Thyroid peroxidase antibodies level is 72.2 IU/ml, suggesting autoimmune thyroid disease (my TSH was last tested in Jul'09 and was 1.1mu/L). They weren't able to check blood clotting issues though because the nurse put bloods in wrong bottle!  ^bigbad^

I have a telehpone appt with my GP next Tues, and I'm wondering if there's anything I should be asking for or insisting on (e.g. thyroid medication/aspirin/vit d supplements)? I've long suspected I have immune problems so this is sending me crazy with worry.  ^eyes^

I've contacted [email protected] to see if we can book a consultation as i want to get my level 2 immunes checked, but i know they won't see us until we've completed this IVF tx. I just wasn't sure if there's anything i could ask the GP to prescribe that could help us in the meantime.

If you could give any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Laney xx

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
Laney: if you go onto my FAQ and then down to T for thyroid, there is a link to a paper which can show to your GP.  it basically says that if you have high ATAs then your IVF chances are much reduced unless you are Px'd steroids+blood thinners+thyroxine together.  its cheaper to buy vitamin D yourself over the counter.  see Supplements in the FAQ.  and aspirin is also cheaper to buy yourself.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi agate, thanks so much for you help. I've had a read through your faq (which is fantastic) and I'm clearer on what i need to ask for. Unfortunately our GP is not the most helpful and I'm worried she'll refuse to prescribe me anything because of the normal TSH level. I've contacted our ivf clinic and they've asked for a copy of the results to show the doctor to see what they think is best to do. Do you know how long it takes for these drugs to start taking effect? I'm wondering if they might suggest we postpone this ivf.

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
the study that is referred to in the FAQ is for ladies who are euthryroid - that means their thyroid hormone levels are normal but they still have ATAs and their chance of live birth goes up a lot if they are Px'd the meds - that should hopefully be some use in convincing your docs that you do need them.  I can't remember the details of the study, but I think the meds are only started with your IVF cycle.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks agate, you've really helped me out.  ^hugme^ I was a complete mess this morning as just didn't know what this meant or what to do, but now I feel a lot more confident and in the know about what i should be asking the docs for.

Laney x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts