Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am really at a point where I dont understand anything anymore, I was diagnosed over ten years ago with PCOS due to no periods or one every 12 months if lucky, I had blood tests and internal scans, lap + dye, drilling and now IVF which failed, but the thing I really cant understand is a lot of you talk about FSH LEVELS and LH and FOLICULAR PHASE, I have never had these told to me or explained to me at any of my appointments, why??? and are they important to know and what is the difference, I know I sound stupid but I am really angry if I should know whats going on and dont, I have also had metformin and clomid none of them worked but could not have gonadotraphine injections cause they could not get a dose low enough that would be safe for me to take they said because I would get ohss so easily, sorry for rambling on but I dont know how else or who else to go to, thankyou for your help.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
vic.. sounds like youve got alot of questions.. all i can tell you from my knowledge is that my drs have sadi thast they can diagnose pcos by looking at your lh and fsh levels. The do bloods every 2 days and track the levels a if they are high then my clinic have said they can control the levels with metformin or with hrt. It may be worth getting your clinic to do bloods to see how you vary from the norm..also i'm not sure why they cant use injectables for you..i 've had them and as long as they scan you and check the follicles arent going mad then i would have thought theyd could use injectables.
My clinic scanned me every two days and slowed the dose when the follicles got bigger.
Maybe others can help you more as i dont understand a lot of this stuff but if i were you i'd get a second opinion.
jU

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hi Vickala

as sicknote says the dr should do some blood tests on you to see what your hormones are doing as to whether you have pcos.
I also have had the injections as was told by my clinic that it is fine to have them with pcos but that some pcos sufferers take longer to respond to them than others.
Why dont you make an appointment with your gp to discuss the questions you have and they can hopefully explain the terminology to you. I wasnt explained anything either but coming from a nursing background i was able to figure it out
Hope you get some answers sorted
If we can help further please feel free to ask

love
suzie aka olive xx

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
vic

I was diagnosed with severe PCOS but i am very ignorant about it. I dont know anything about FOLICULAR PHASE's or anything most of the girls on here seem to know. They told me unfortunately i have every symptom of PCOS and IVF was my only chance of having a baby.

I wish i could be more helpful to you and explain a bit more but i dont know much. Yes i perhaps should have asked but i have just got on with everything and got so used to all the symptoms. Perhaps one day i will find out a bit more. Hope you get some answers and some success too.

Love Kim x x x

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKYOU to you all for replying, I will be asking some questions my last consultant was very ignorant when it came to explaining things to me, she didnt seem interested at all, it was her who said the injectables were not for me, think that was something else she could not be bothered with, My only chance of kids is IVF too, but I get so mad at the fact that GP's are not kept up to speed or date with knowing more about it or being able to do anything, everytime I go to my GP with pains ovary pain, he tells me perhapes you have a kidney infection and without a test gives me antibiotics, its rediculous, this is the only place I seem to get sense and keep my head, its very addictive, even though my IVF failed I dont seem to be able to leave it sort of got me through it.

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Hi vick

Have you only had the 1 go of IVF? My first go failed and my clinic did say because of my condition it was hard to judge how i would react to the drugs. The second go although wasnt going well actually ended in a pregnancy and my little boy is now 3. There is hope, dont know where your having tx but hope they keep a close eye on you.

love kimx  xx

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Am suprised theyve let you do ivf but then said you cant use injectables..did they offer you iui??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Kim,

I am having treatment at Birmingham Womens, yes it was my first go, I was put on the low dosage drugs because of what my consultant had said, they managed to get ten eggs 5 fertilised and then on e/t they told me three of the eggs two sperm had entered and that was no good and the fourth had perished and only one would be transfered and it was a 2 cell, after a weekend of waiting, so I wasnt very hopefull myself, I havent been told that either how I would react to treatment all I was told by my consultant was IVF is all I need and that it was the drugs for IVF that I needed mainly to get me pregnant, (her words not mine) I am so happy yours worked and I wont be giving up and will go again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Sicknote, I was not offered IUI, that was never mentioned, I didnt understand it either, what happened was my consultant told me that I should choose between ovarian drilling or the injections and I chose the injections but then in her next breath she said well if you have the injections first then the operation will be no good to you after so we had ovarian drilling and that never worked, then we hoped to start the injections straight away, but then she hanged us with no there is no dose low enough to prevent you from getting OHSS as I got it on clomid, she wasnt even prepared to give it a try.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Vickala i would definately get a secondf opinion.. soiunds a bit odd to me..
i had drilling and it weorked but pcos came back after a few months, my clinic have said i could do ivf or iui but theyd just monitor me by scans if i had the injectables.
Mr dr has someone who he treats who was at a big london clinic and he told me that they came to him after leaving the said clinic because they sent her away and said you have pcos and your tubes are blocked.When my dr examined her her tubes were fine and  she had mild pco which was treated with metaformin.
Definately worth a second opinion..

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
vick
Not being nosey but is your tx funded or are you paying? If your paying you are free to try elsewhere.

Where i was they were brilliant made you feel really comfortable, which was great as i am a huge coward, and whilst having my treatment i had regular scans to keep an eye out for OHSS. It doesnt sound you have been treated that brilliantly.

Love kimx x x

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hiya Sicknote I will definately get questioning and as you said a second opinion, I need answers and things done, thankyou, and Kim I had a funded IVF so didnt really have much choice, It wasnt the IVF people that said it all it was the consultant that had to refer me,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.