Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I feel a bit bad about posting this here when so many of us are desperately waiting for our treatment, however, I really need some advice and hope one of you could help. :(

Since our initial investigations started, it's felt like a bit of a rollercoaster ride for us, especially as it does seem like we have a problem and I think the stress of ttc has finally hit DH and me  :'(  . Over the last month or so we agreed it would do us good to take a bit of a break from being so obsessed with making a baby and have decided to try and concentrate on being us again.  

My problem is, we have an appt with the consultant in 2 weeks and on top of worrying how we'll cope with any more bad news, I'm not sure if we're ready to go back to the whole treatment/monitoring thing.  At my lap & dye in Dec, the consultant said our next route would possibly either be a short course of clomid for me or straight to ICSI.  I know there's probably a huge waiting list for ICSI (if it is actually available to us on NHS!), which may actually be better for us as it'll give us time to adjust to what's happening to us but I'm not sure I want to go on clomid straight away - as daft as it sounds, I'm scared the mood swings and bd'ing on command might tip the balance.  If I refused this, would it mean that we would have to start the whole process over again when we were ready?  Is it a case of take what's given now or go back to the queue?  It's taken us 19mths to get here and am concerned that we'll have to wait another 19mths, for the sake of some quality time with DH to get us back on track.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks
Claire

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
I would see what the Consultant advises.
I don't think they will put you back in the queue if you want a break and your age is still good, well under the 35 mark!
I would have thought ICSI would be the option as my DH's morphology was 8%, 15% and we are ICSI.
It is available on the NHS but depending on where you live, 2.5 year wait here, to long for me at 37!
GOOD LUCK,
Susy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
I'd just like to second what Susy says about ICSI, partly because it might help relieve your mind about pressure to do Clomid.
My DH has 2-5% normal morphology, and we were advised chances with anything other than direct injection of sperm into egg were so minimal as to be not worthwhile. My guess is your consultant is suggesting Clomid because you are relatively young, have time on your side and essentially not much to lose. I expect he would believe the chances would be much higher with ICSI though. Normally they get really good results from MF patients, as all that's wrong is the ability of  ^sperm^ to get where they're wanted!
So subject to what your consultant says, my advice would be not to bother with Clomid, put your name down for ICSI now, it probably would be maybe a year wait on the NHS, but that would give you time to chill!

Good luck
Jen :-*
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top