Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Peter,

This is my first time on posting on this site, I think its an excellent idea and its great that you have reassured so many ladies.

My question may sound very strange - and I'd just like to say that I'm not questioning the abilities of anyone - least of all my consultants as they are all fantastic.

I just wondered whether there is a possibility of the embryo's not being placed in the uterus during embryo transfer. I know after the catheter is removed the embryologist checks it to make sure the embryo's are not in it - however, is it possible that after injecting the embryo's they attach to the end of the catheter and on removal may end up being deposited somewhere outside the uterus? I was also concerned during my embryo transfer because when the consultant was handed the catheter, there was droplets of culture medium hanging at the tip of the catheter - is this normal? - or am I to assume the embryo's are further down the catheter?

Sorry for these questions - but I guess we all become so paranoid about things not working in this horrible 'game' of IVF!

Thanks for any advice / reassurance you can give me.

Regards,

Marianne

·
Registered
856 Posts
Please see my comments in your text:

Marianne said:
Dear Peter,

This is my first time on posting on this site, I think its an excellent idea and its great that you have reassured so many ladies.

My question may sound very strange - and I'd just like to say that I'm not questioning the abilities of anyone - least of all my consultants as they are all fantastic.

I just wondered whether there is a possibility of the embryo's not being placed in the uterus during embryo transfer. I know after the catheter is removed the embryologist checks it to make sure the embryo's are not in it - however, is it possible that after injecting the embryo's they attach to the end of the catheter and on removal may end up being deposited somewhere outside the uterus?

Many people have investigated this and there is no evidence to suggest that embryos are dragged out.

I was also concerned during my embryo transfer because when the consultant was handed the catheter, there was droplets of culture medium hanging at the tip of the catheter - is this normal?

It sounds like a over enthusiastic wash of the catheter

- or am I to assume the embryo's are further down the catheter?

Yes they are and they would not be affected

Good luck!

Peter

Sorry for these questions - but I guess we all become so paranoid about things not working in this horrible 'game' of IVF!

Thanks for any advice / reassurance you can give me.

Regards,

Marianne

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Peter,

Thanks very much for answering my questions so quickly, and for putting my mind to rest - I was especially concerned about the embryo's actually ending up where they're supposed to!

Thanks again,

Marianne

·
Registered
856 Posts
My pleasure!

Peter

Marianne said:
Dear Peter,

Thanks very much for answering my questions so quickly, and for putting my mind to rest - I was especially concerned about the embryo's actually ending up where they're supposed to!

Thanks again,

Marianne

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Hellen,

Thanks very much for your message - I'm so glad I found this site!

I haven't gone into the 2ww thread yet - but think I might have peek now!

What stage are you at?

Cheers,

Marianne

·
Registered
173 Posts
Glad to be of help Marianne

I am awaiting our follow up appt (7th April) after our first ivf was abandoned due to a poor response.

Wishing you heaps of luck

Hellen :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Hellen,

Good luck with your review - soon to be back on this crazy, paranoia inducing rollercoaster eh?!

Marianne

1 - 8 of 8 Posts