Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I work for my LA and I know all the Social Workers there and if we did go to adoption I would rather stick with them as they know me and all my history.

Thanks in advance

XXX

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi,
Both my DH and I work for our LA. When we approached them with a view to adopting through them we were told that we could not proceed with them as they didn't have a policy for employees!

I think it would be worth speaking to them to see where 'the land lies' .....

good luck

T
xx

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hi Caz nox

I work for the LA too and when we had the SW visit us from the same LA she said that she wouldn't be able to assess us because I work for the same LA, but could still go with other LA within the 50 mile radius or VA which we did.

hope this helps

crazybabe

·
Registered
163 Posts
I work for our LA (different directorate) and we have our initial visit tomorrow.  Considering our LA is the biggest employer in the County I think it would be a bit unfair to turn employees away, although I can understand if you work within the adoption team or close to it it could be a bit of a problem as they may not treat you objectively.  Got out initial visit tomorrow so I'll report back!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hi Caz,
My DH is a teacher at a school in our LA and we were discouraged from going with them as they felt that we would significantly reduce potential matches as they could not match us with a child whom DH may have had contact with the extended family of. I would have thought that this may be even more like for you and by going with your own LA you may wait much longer for a match then by approaching an LA further away.
Just a thought, all the best with your journey.
Viva
X

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi, I said I'd report back after our initial visit, I specifically asked if it would cause a problem with me working for the LA (same building but different Directorate) and it is not a problem.

Good luck for the rest of your journey.

Diz

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I am glad someone raised this.  We are a long way off adopting yet, although DH and I have been discussing it for a while.  I am a social worker for a Local Authority (but not in adoption team) and was wondering if I would be able to adopt from the same authority that I work for.

Not sure what the specific policy is for my area (Im pretty sure you can't adopt from them if you work for them).  DH and I thought it would be best to adopt from a different LA because I know a lot of people in the adoption team, so I would always be aware of that.  I would want DH not to feel different to other adoptive couples iyswim.  Does that make any sense, or am I rambling as usual?

Good luck to you all whatever stage you are at, look forward to hearing your stories soon
xx

·
Registered
386 Posts
hello,

Although I work for LA, I have nothing to do with Social Services at all - what they said to us was that if we got child A then someone could come along and say we got preferential treatment because we work for LA and that we got either the child they should have had or a 'better' child (for want of a better way of saying it)....

i think it does differ between all the LAs

xx

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I work fo my LA but not in the same department and am adopting via them. My LA actually seemed to like the fact I work for them - at least they know I have a family friendly and adoption friendly employer!!

Crusoe
xxx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts