Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've undergone 2 unsuccessful IVF's.  I was at the ARGC and foung their timetable and routine really stressful.  Having bloods and scans daily.  It seemed like I was injecting and taking pills constantly throughout the day.  I dont think I can do it again for both financial reasons and stress.

I am now taking vitamins and taking regular exercise.  I dont want to bore you with my reasons or what Im taking.  However, is it possible if I have my tubes taken away (as I have hydrosalpinx) that I could fall pregnant naturally?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I had my tubes removed almost two years ago and IVF was given as my only option - falling naturally was not possible as you need the fallopian tubes to get the egg from the ovaries to the uterus (and also fertilisation also normally takes place in tubes).

I am really surprised that no-one at the ARGC had mentioned to you the possibility of removing them before you went forward with your previous IVF treatments as the hydrosalphinx is believed to be detrimental to the development of an embryo and therefore reduces your chances of success with IVF.  (This is all what my doctor told me - I don't know if other consultants are of a different opinion).

Hope you manage to find the strength and cash to carry on with another try (maybe look other clinics if you are finding this one too much)

Good luck

Jenni x

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts

Your tubes are the 'horns' in the above diagram, and it shows the path that the egg must take.

If you have hydrosalpynx in both tubes, then removing them tends to be what consultants lean towards. Either that or clipping them.

But the tubes have a toxic type fluid in them which can affect implantation - and so clipping them isnt always the best way.

Sadly yes, If you have them both removed - then you will need IVF treatment.

Tony,
xxx

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jenni and wow Tony thanks for that diagram.

I am angry that the ARGC did not advise me to have my tubes removed before IVF.  I would have done anything Mr Taranissi told me to do - I have very different views of him now.

If I do have IVF again, I dont think I will have it there as I have lost my trust.  Funny that, the ARGC seems to be most peoples 'last chance saloon', I certainly dont think that is the case.

I am planning to have a further HSG to see how badly affected my tubes are and go from there.  Hopefully I can put myself on a NHS IVF list.

THanks again.  :)

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Ella,
Im sorry that you have lost faith in your dr. ^hugme^
I dont know if this will make any difference but i have heard that some woman do go ahead with ivf whilst having hydrosalpinx. I didnt think it was uncommon to have a couple of attempts before having then removed.
Im not saying that its the best idea but i thought id let u know. Maybe your dr had his reasons but he really should of told you the effect hydros may have so you could of weighed up the odds and made your own desicion.
I hope you find the strength and cash to have another go.
Best of luck xXx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.