Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Can you help? Resuming HRT whilst breastfeeding after donor egg pregnancy

12K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  quaver 
#1 ·
Hello!
Two weeks ago I became a mum to little James and my DH and I are thrilled to have him in our lives. FF helped us with our decision to have DE IVF at Ceram in Marbella and we were so lucky to get pregnant on our first cycle.
I was surprised when last week my POF symptoms returned and now I'm attempting to cope with a very hungry baby and night sweats, flushes, mood swings etc. I saw a consultant last week who advised me to go back on HRT with the risk that lactation could slow down or stop. My health visitor sees the situation differently and suggests I stay off the HRT so I can nurse my son. I wonder if anyone out there can tell me about their experiences of being on HRT whilst breastfeeding? Did it stop milk supply? Is it better to go back on HRT as opposed to enduring the POF symptoms whilst breastfeeding?
I want to do what is best for both James and I but I'm feeling very confused!
All the best,
KK x

#2 ·
Hi KK
Congrats on your recent baby! Just a quick post to say I was advised to start HRT again once I had fully stopped breastfeeding. I found the flushes etc went away after a couple of weeks after having my baby (I think even 'normally hormanal' new mums have these symptoms a bit after birth as their hormone levels drop quickly at this time also). I went back onto Tibolone, my HRT once stopping BF at about 6 months. I found the menopause symptoms were fine during BF but came on again once stopping - hence recommencing HRT. Hope this helps!
Sarah

#3 ·
Hi KK

Congrats on the birth of your DS!

I also have a gorgeous baby boy from DE.  I bf until I had a dexa scan which unfortunately had gone from osteopenia to borderline osteoporosis.  The result being that I was advised to take HRT asap.  My consultant was surprised I had been able to bf as being POF means that your estrogen levels are low and this is need for lactation (although, the placenta does produce estrogen).  I thought weaning him off bf to bottle would take a lot longer but to be honest my (.) (.) only felt really full twice and he was on the bottle (every feed) within about 10 days.  It does make me wonder if I was actually producing much in view of the consultants comments, although PHN was pleased with DS's weight.

Anyway, I stopped bf (very sad) and went onto HRT.  Like Sarah, I was also told that I'd have to stop bf before starting HRT. I didn't have any symptoms until after I stopped bf, my last FSH was 178 so well into meno  :eek:

Hope that helps

Kittyxxxxxx

#4 ·
I wished I'd found this thread sooner as I might have been able to get some answers.  Although I can hardly say my menopause, if thats what it is, is ' early' i( I am now 47) t is still not on schedule, ( if you know what I mean nor anticipated.  My mum went through hers late at 56, having had me at 46, so I sort of expected the same).

I had my lovely girl last June with DE. I had severe problems with bf from the start resulting in my being able to do for 15 weeks and only then with mixed feeding.  I was told that it could have been the morphine given to me for pain relief. Six/seven weeks after the birth I started to feel really strange, and started to sweat and shiver. I put the heating up ( it was August!) and climbed into bed under a sleeping bag and duvet.  My neighbour had to come in whilst I phoned the GP- she stayed with me for a few hours to watch DD and noted that I kept passing out. The GP was unsympathetic and refused to come out even though I was sweating and could nit stand up without falling over. I was (wrongly) diagnosed antibiotics for an infection from my c section scar. At no point did anyone mention that this was a common reaction post birth when the hormones drop.This went on for 5 months after the birth, most sharply after I stopped bf in October, almost on a monthly cycle. I felt awful and felt that this may have been PND. Only then did another GP do a blood test and tell my that my FSH of 11 meant I was well into the menopause.  Prior to conceiving I always had regular periods and cycles ( I was 46).  I find it hard to believe that whilst I have been pregnant I have also been going through the menopause as well. I did not realise that the body could operate like this.

Interestingly, I am now back on oestrogen supplementation as I'm having another DE cycle with my frosties, and if anything the flushes seem to be getting worse. Not quite as predicted but then the human body is full of surprises!

best wishes,

roze

#5 ·
Roze, congrats on your DD.

Can't believe how unsympathetic your GP was ^bigbad^

I just wanted to check something from your post...Only then did another GP do a blood test and tell my that my FSH of 11 meant I was well into the menopause. I always thought anything above 40 indicated POF/early meno?

Unfortunately Doctors just don't know enough about POF, my consultant said there just isn't enough research into it.

Good luck with your frosties, here's ^pray^ that you add to your family soon. We are hoping to return next year (fresh cycle as we didn't get any frosties).

Kittyxxxxx

#6 ·
Hi, I am hoping to kickstart this topic!

I am now 48 and pregnant with twins due Nov/Dec. I am hoping to bfeed but think I may have to go back on HRT if I experience the same problems as before as cannot cope with all the sweats etc as well as twins and a toddler.  I have not had a period since 6 months after DD was born in 2007 so the menopause has been assumed, something I found odd to have happened but the logic is that getting pregnant has forced this just to happen overnight. Whilst I was pregnant apparently!

Is it however inevitable that people on HRT cannot breastfeed?  The reason I ask is that I thought HRT only replaced the hormones that you can no longer produce so why would this be any different to someone who has not taken HRT?

Hope someone can help.  Felt so good on the hormone treatment for this last cycle and during the latter weeks of this pregnancy that I can't bear the feelings of last time to reoccur.  I also do want to bf the twins as they need the nutrition and also it is much easier than making up all those bottles!

best wishes

roze xx

#7 ·
Hi Roze,

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I think women are advised not to take HRT whilst breastfeeding as the hormones are synthetic and may pass into the milk. I guess it's the same as taking any other medication while feeding. I doubt any HRT medicines have been tested on breastfeeding women so therefore it would be advised against.

I breastfed my DS for a year (I have POF due to chemo treatment) but I'm not sure what effect this has had on me healthwise, especially with regards to osteporosis. I have just had another DE cycle and am on the 2ww and if it is positive I would like to breastfeed again but will try harder to find someone who can advise me properly as to what I can take.

Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

Wallaroo

#8 ·
Hi Roze

I also need to go back onto HRT asap post birth.

I spoke with my consultant and she said to establish feeding and then start HRT. It may or may not affect milk production, less likely to if a good supply has been established.  She suggested 4-6 weeks feeding and then starting HRT and I am hoping that I don't experience a sudden menopause during that time. No-one can seem to tell me how long it takes hormone levels to drop. I am going to give it a go though.

Like you, I can't understand why taking it would be any different to producing it naturally.

xxx

#9 ·
HI,
The question of being able to breastfeed post menopause has been really bothering me so am glad I found this thread! Not sure if anyone is still posting on it though.
I am nearly 32 weeks pregnant with Donor egg, and want to breastfeed once I've had the baby, but doctors I've asked couldn't tell me whether I'd be able to produce milk post menopause. From the look of this thread, many of you have been able to breastfeed once you've had your babies, as long as you don't take HRT at the same time. Have I understood correctly?
And did you produce enough milk, or did you need to take something to supplement it?
Thanks for any advice
Emsoph
x

#11 ·
YogaPrincess, congratulations on the birth of your little boy!

Emsoph, congratulations on your pregnancy! It seems from this thread that there has been differing advice from consultants about taking HRT whilst breastfeeding. In my case I was advised not to take HRT whilst breastfeeding but to resume taking it when finished. I breastfed my son for a year and I never had to supplement with formula. He was quite a big baby too and was always content so I presume I produced enough milk. If you have any problems or just need reassurance I would definitely advise going to a breastfeeding clinic (your HV should be able to tell you where the local ones are).

For those of you wondering why HRT is different from producing the hormones naturally this is because the HRT is synthetically manufactured and must be tested in clinical trials like all drugs on the market. They will probably not have been tested on breastfeeding women and are therefore not recommended for use in this group (although there may be no side effects). There may be other things added to the drugs to enable them to absorbed and the doses may vary.

Best of luck to everybody!

Wallaroo

#12 ·
Hello everyone.

I am so glad I have found this thread. My baby boy was born nearly 12 months ago through de. I am also POF last fsh was 70+ I am now on hrt and also breast feeding as my gp says that my milk wont stop as I am only replacing the hormones I should naturally have anyway. It is only if you have extra hormones such as the pill that milk production stops. I have been on hrt for 4 months now and am still breast feeding on demand about 6 times a day.

My gp put me on hrt as I have been having really wierd funny sensations for the past 6 months. Its really hard to explain but i get this draining sensation then go all goosebumply, my heart pounds like its going to pop out of my chest and then i feel like im going to pass out, or worse.

My gp first put it down to panic attacks but has since decided that its the symptoms of the menopause. I would be interested if any one else has simular symptoms because my 1 fear is that it could be something more serious. Having said that they have got better since I have been on the hrt but have not yet stopped.

Sorry for the me post but if any one ca help I would be gratefull.
Thanks Quaver xx

#13 ·
I'm really glad to have found this thread, even though there haven't been any recent posts it has some really useful information. My bone density took a severe dip whilst breastfeeding my donor egg baby. He totally relied on the breast for sleep (I was nursing him back to sleep sometimes every hour throughout the night, I loved it and was often back to sleep before him), and for sustainance, for comfort. I absolutely dreaded having to give up breastfeeding as my consultant advised, because had to get back on HRT. It's the best mummy-tool there is. I desperately searched internet to prove consultant wrong, but then found this thread. Consultant told me that it was the synthetic progesterone that was incompatible with breastfeeding and I needed that to build bone density again. Just about to give it up completely after 9 months  :'(. Since seeing consultant at 4 months I've been on oestrogen patches, that you can take while breastfeeding, and I also take calcium religiously. I'm just really grateful to have had this beautiful breastfeeding time with my baby. If we are lucky enough to give him a brother or sister in the future I don't think I will be able to do it for so long. I've been advised to have a good 6 months back on HRT before we try for number 2.

#14 ·
Hi Domino

Really glad you found the thread usefull !! I am on elestte duet hrt tablets so i dont know if it has synthetic hormones or not, I guess it must have. I have been on hrt since my baby was about 6 months old he is now 2 years old and I am still breast feeding him. Like you it's the only way I can get him to sleep and he also wakes atleast twice in the night for a "comfort" feed. So may be not all is lost. My milk hasnt dried up or gone so you may be able to continue feeding. I was told by my consultant that the hrt may dry up my milk but to persevere feeding and it may not.

Good luck to you and your lovely baby.

Love Quaver xx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.