Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Like many of you i have had painful periods since AF reared her ugly head aged 10. I've always taken regular pain killers, but they have never hit the spot, it's almost like i take them to feel like i'm doing something!!

In the last couple of years i've had half a dozen exceptionally painful ones. I'll have niggly pain during the day...then at night i'm rolling around the sitting room floor for 2-3 hours contemplating a visit to A&E  for morphine!! The pain comes in waves..a bit like i imagine contractions to be. I'm left disorientated and whacked out..but usually have to head off to work (i'm sure you know the drill!) Endometriosis (mild) was diagnosed this year.

Although i'm trying to conceive and not keen to take tablets i was wondering what other people use for the pain. Does anything work? I've never bothered my Gp about it. When i told my fertility doctor how much pain i get she just smiled at me and wrote it in my notes!!  ^idiot^

Any advice gals?

Scoobs xx

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Hi

I am really sorry to read about the pain that you get with your endo.
I can really empathise with you, its such a hard thing to deal with even more so when TTC and the limits it puts on you

I wonder have you tried a tens machine  if used early enough it can be helpful

TTC limits what can be taken safely co- codamol and paracetamol are about it really, however i really feel if its something that occurs and these dont help it (silly re the paracetamol really) then its something you need to discuss with your GP or gynae

They do say the best meds for endo ladies are anti inflammatorys but these should be avoidded whilst ttc

Sorry i cant really help but maybe the tens machine maybe helpful i also had a little help with acupuncture but it was something that would need to be done twice a week for me to feel benefit

Em

·
Registered
377 Posts
hi sweetheart
sorry to hear you are suffering so much with your endo pains...

i too have Endo plus other health issues (crohns & arthristis, both in remission)... my endo has been driving me crazy...  to the point i've been put on new meds... i'm on dihydracodiene and oxynorm liquid (when needed)...
Theres lots of medications i can't take as they aggrevate my crohns disease which makes me a difficult case.
I've got a TENS machine and have even had accupuncture but nothing helps.

My gastro, gynae & surgeon all agreed that it was ok for me to take the above while trying to conceive.

The other med that help great but was taken off it was Amitriptiline.  They all said that they don't know enough about it.

I hope your feelin better soon
Gemz xxx

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Heffalump and Gem-Gems!

Gem i have tried Dihydrocodeine....didn't touch it. Ibuprofen, Voltarol, Tramodol....I'm having acupuncture, but only every month. I have to say it hasn't helped yet! It's a tough one...i'm trying to live this uber healthy life ( well, within reason!)  and taking strong painkillers is prob a no no. Maybe the TENS machine is worth a go? Or maybe i just need a placebo bottle of morphine in my cupboard!

It's just that i dread my AF so much these days and can't go anywhere in case the pain is unbearable...it's bad enough not being pregnant every month!! I'm starting to hate my friends who use 2 tampons  for their whole AF and don't get any tummy pains!!( that's pretty much all my friends then!)

Sorry guys i just needed a moan about it!! Gem gem i'm sorry to hear you have so much else to contend with! I'm sure i have it easy compared to you! Hope things keep in remission...it sounds like you've been through the mill a bit.

Thanks for replying

SCoobs xx

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Hi

Ive been taking Paramol lately which seems to be good so far, but them over the counter in Boots, theyre meant to be the strongest thing you can buy without prescription.

Agree with Em though the Tens machines are good.

Hope your not in too much pain, xx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I know what you're going through.  Fortunately I've had a few months where I haven't been rolling about in agony now.  I've had reflexology (she describes it as clinical reflexology, it isn't relaxing but very painful!) and this has made quite a difference.  Still in pain but much less.  Also just been prescribed Co-Codamol (30mg codeine, 500mg paracetamol) which has been the first medication I've taken that has had any effect.  It doesn't completely remove the pain, but it has helped. But side-effects include drowsiness, hallucinations (not nice), constipation so i try not to take if i can help it.  I can't work if i take it so it doesn't really help my situation of needing time of work due to the pain!
I also have started using a mini tens machine called ova (about £20) which surprisingly has really helped, so def worth a try.
Good luck, I hope you manage to find something to help x

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,

I've just had the worst day of pain. :'( I tried not to take painkillers, but i just had to ( they didn't work!) Where do you buy a TEN's machine from? I have to give it a go. My poor husband has been watching me crying and rocking for hours! He nearly carted me off to casualty! My Endo is apparently really mild...it's a weird one.
Thank you for your advice. i don't personally know anyone who gets bad pain, it makes you feel a bit of a freak, i'm sure some people think you put it on!

Gp appointment and Tens machine on order!

Scoobs xx

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Hello,

^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ to you first of all.

My ugly AF showed her unwanted face yesterday and i was in agony and like you i ahve endo too and yesterday i got my DH to go and get me FEMINAX ULTRA just new out and i have to say they seemed to work.

Hope they help you

Hugs
xx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi scoobylooby

My endo is mild but I get extreme pain.  I feel like the endo should be graded higher to represent the pain!  I saw a picture of it before they zapped it off and it was a tiny little dot. Hard to imagine that that has caused me so much pain... although still get the pain so I know there is more in there.  I know what you mean about feeling like a freak. My sister used to say to me that it was all in my mind!! That was years ago and she is very understanding now.  But I don't know anyone else that suffers like this.

As for the TENS machine, if you google 'ova tens' then it will show a website.  I have found it really good although this month it didn't seem to work quite as well, but I think the battery was going. Def give it a try, for the money I kept spending on painkillers and heat wraps, its not much to pay.

Hope it helps, big hug xx

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Applegem,

Everybody has been such a help with tips. All of them useful. Yeah you sound like me...i was shown a picture of my endo...just a few dots on my ovaries. The surgeon said they were nothing to worry about!! I told him my AF's were getting more painful, but was told to go ahead with fertility treatment anyway and maybe get it sorted later. The nurse at the fertility clinic said different. She said i could get cysts on my ovaries and treatment would have to stop. You wonder if any of these people sing from the same hymn sheet!
Thanks for replying. I'll try that website!

Scooby xx (pain better today girls!  :) )

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
Hello!

I don't have endo, but I do get really bad AF pain - like I'm going to faint with it. Someone recommended Veganin, and it's brilliant! I'd never heard of it, but it really seems to do the trick. I got it from the pharmacy in Morrison's so it's probably only available in a pharmacy and not on the shelves.

Give that a bash!

xx

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello ladies,

I hope you aren't in too much pain, I know this is an old thread, but I thought it might be worth mentioning what helps me with severe period pains.

I take Nuropen Plus, if, God forbid I don't have any on the day of my period, I usually end up collapsing on the floor of the bathroom, so I ensure there are enough in the flat!

I'm aware that that these make some people feel very sick - but they are a life saver for me.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes to everyone

Charlie and Lola x x

·
Registered
652 Posts
Scoobylooby - Try asking either your gp or Endo/gynea for a referal to the pain management clinic.
They may be able to offer something else and don't just give you drugs, they do do other alternative therapies.

Just  a thought

Hugs
Fiona

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
I have bad period pain & just tried the new Feminax Ultra which really worked although you take 2 first & that does make you feel spaced out. I've also had 500mg codeine co-codamol for something else & that again works but makes you woozy.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
ive only just seen this thread and of course have tried all the different painkillers etc. the only ones that seem to help are the extra strong ones (forgot the name) that your gp can only prescribe. i can only take them when im really in too much pain to cope as they send me to sleep.

ive also been asked before whether its 'all my my head' but then when they saw me rolling about in agony i think that changed their mind!  ::) ive had to give up work due to the pain and not being able to take a week off every month for my afs but am not entitled to disability allowance etc as its not classed as a disability  ^idiot^

ive not tried a TENS machine but seeing this i might invest in one as a hot water bottle just doesnt cut it anymore!

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
forgot to mention that i did start taking agnus castus and that is the first thing ive found that helped with the pains and also normal af symptoms. unfortunately its not reccommended to take during fertility treatment etc so ive had to stop for now but will be taking it again after

it is a herb though so maybe worth seeing a herbalist before starting it

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hi Jo,

Yes, i've just bought one online, the ovatens, somebody recommended on this thread. I'm hoping not to have to use it as it will mean my IUI hasn't worked this month! My AF is due in 10 days or so..i will let you know what i think of it. My Gp has prescribed an anti-inflammatory called indomethacin. I was under the impression that this group of analgesics is not recommended for women trying to conceive...i told him this, but he said that wasn't the case as far as he knew!! To be honest i don't think it will work as i have already tried Voltarol and Ibuprofen and they didn't touch it.

Endometriosis really is a nasty complaint and i'm not enjoying how it disrupts my life! I was quite shell shocked after the last really painful AF!! But we must all plod along and give each other tips and support. I'm hoping something will help it....a lovely baby preferably!!

Take care and let me know how the TENS machine works for you

Scoobs xx

·
Registered
116 Posts
hey girls - i know exactly how frustrating it is to be in pain all the time - its not easy at all!

I have stage 4 endo and its everywhere (in and outside bowel, abdo wall, tubes, ovaries, colon... basically the lot!!!) ive had 5 laparoscopies in the last 4 years but it keeps coming back...you know the story i'm sure!

scooby - i would def recommend seeing your gp and getting a referral to a pain consultant - mine was really understanding when i saw him.  at the moment im taking dihydrocodeine and paracetamol, zomorph (slow release morphine that you take every 12 hrs) and oramorph (the morphine liquid that you can take for breakthrough pain).  its working for me at the moment as i need to still be able to function (not rolling about in agony on the floor like i used to be!)  i know that they say dont take this and dont take that whilst ttc but at the end of the day you have to have a life! if you are in constant pain there is no way that you're gonna be up for having sex anyway! 

chronic pain like this can so easily take over your life and make you so down - i really hope that you can find something that works for you soon.

stacey xxx

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi,

I have endo grade 4 but i only had really bad period pains when i was in my teens (this must of been when my endo was mild) seems a bit odd doesn't it that when it's a lower grade it's more painfull. Anyway diclofenac (not sure how spelt) one para and 1 30mg codine usually does the trick for me when i get server back pain. I know it's not the same sort of pain but this may work. I have had tramodol before but I seem to go really dizzy and spaced out. One thing to consider apart from the tablets making it hard for you to go to the loo is the damage they can do o your kidneys. I know thats not what you are thinking about though when you are in agony.

I hope you find a treatment that works soon.

Take care. x

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again to all you ladies for your replies,

Af has reared it's unwanted head again (IUI no 1 didn't work) I can't tell you how much i feel supported by your advice. I hope other people get ideas from this thread too. I'm trying TENS machine and feminax ultra  this time. But have already had extreme pain for about 2 hours this am. It has now gone amd fingers crossed it won't get too severe again.  ::)
I am going to ask for a pain clinic referral. Meanwhile may well ask for Morphine as i just cannot cope with this pain any more. There is a limit to what i am prepared to go through, my sanity and comfort are important to me! It seems now that every month is now severe pain, whereas it was about one in every 5-6 months last year. I guess the endo is getting worse. They did find an endometrioma on my scan a couple of weeks ago. ..
Some of you have it so much worse than me. I'm really only incapacitated for 2-3 days,i know some of you are in almost constant pain. Big  ^hugme^ to all you girlies.
Keep the advice coming in as there are a lot of ladies out there in the same boat as us and this discussion is full of hot tips!
Personally i'm getting on the vino this weekend.. a rare treat in my t-total/nuts and seeds/no chocolate/no caffeine life! Just you try and stop me... pah!
Thankyou...thankyou...thankyou  ^No AF^...let's ban them!!
Scoobylooby xxxxx

1 - 20 of 23 Posts