Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am trying to change clinic to the ARGC at the moment and am having a complete nightmare getting hold of a copy of my notes. 

We keep getting the complete run around from our nhs clinic. The administrator for the assisted conception unit said that we needed to talk to patient services.  Patient services said that we need to talk to records.  Records returned our call after 10 days and said that we needed to go back to our consultant.  The consultant says that they have a policy of not giving patients copies of their notes, but that she would write a referral, but the ARGC want a copy of our notes.

I thought we had a right to a copy under the Data Protection Act.  Getting completely frustrated by all of this.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how have they got round it.

Emxx

·
Registered
537 Posts
Emma,

have a copy of any personal details that are being held by anyone on you, including medical notes,
I suggest you read the policy on the internet and then get back and tell them about this legislation.

I have a lawyer who works in our dept and checked my understanding regarding the data protection act with her before I phoned my clinic for our notes, (as I read on here about someone who also had a bit of a problem) but in the end I didn't have a problem either with getting my notes from the NHS or the notes from my clinic, though there was a small cost for the admin time of photocopying them

Regards

Croc

·
Registered
537 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Freedom of Information Acr says that all requests for information must be made in writing.  A public authority must respond within 20 working days of receiving it.

Basically you won't get anywhere until you put it in writing!

We got our notes last year after 2 months of chasing and runaround.  I wrote to the clinic who then had to send a letter and a form back to me.  The form spelled out exactly what I was requesting.  The request then went to their legal department (I was told) and eventually the copying got farmed out as our notes were so vast they couldn't handle it internally!  We had to pay for that.

They will do it, it's just a case of pinning them down.

P.S. Also moved to ARGC!

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Em,
We are having the same problem, we want to start private IUI but have waited ages for our NHS notes.  I was sent a data protection form to fill out weeks ago and still haven't heard anything, how frustrating!
Jx

·
Registered
537 Posts
JED

Check the link I gave emma and follow the advice on there, also keep at them and mention the data protection act and as Claudine mentioned the Freedom of information act.  If they do not respond then ask to speak to the top person and quote the same things to them and also put it in writing, sooner or later you will get through to someone who realises how seriously they are breaching these acts and will get very nervous, unfortunately you will have to keep on, I would be extremely surprised especially if you write to a top bod if they don't act immediately 

Good luck

croc

·
Registered
110 Posts
Emma

I can only repeat what others are already saying. Please put your request in writing, you have a right to receive a copy of your medical notes (DPA), you may be charged between £10-50 for the privilege though. If they don't respond within 2 weeks, write again and complain, you may use the argument of informing the Information Commissioner about NHS clinic behavior.
I personally, did not have any problems with getting my notes from Barts nor from the Bridge Centre, on both occasions I paid £10.

Good luck
Shade

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.