Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a steam steriliser (microwave) and our (2nd in a month) microwave has just blown. 

My dd is nearly 4.5m old.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to sterilise in an emergency please.  I have just used a neighbours microwave but cant keep asking ;)

I was wondering about sterilising fluid as it just smells so much and because dd is a fussy eater maybe she wont take to the bottle if it has been in sterilising fluid.  I am not going to be able to get out again tonight to get anything now either.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Hi hun,

Dunno if this is any help but what about boiling a load of water in a pan and putting the bottles in there whilst its bubbling, the water will be that hot it will kill any germs??

Does that help??

x x x

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you think that will be good enough?  Happy to give it a go...Alternatively I could get hold of some miltons and use that and THEN boil them as well to get rid of the smell what do you think?

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Oh yea i forgot about Miltons, i would defo use that hun!!
Give it a go, i really dont know what else to suggest!
Maybe go and buy an electric steamer tomorrow  ;D ;D
I would lend you mine if you lived next door  ^hugme^

x x

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It just smells so yukky......

anyone else think boiling after miltons would get rid of the stink and still be ok?

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chux thanks hon, you always pop up with the goods

lizzy thanks 2u2!

can babies taste miltons? ??? ^idiot^

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Milton is supposed to be taste free as it's obviously designed for food utensils.

I think it smells nice and clean and fresh. I know I put all my crockery in it when we got flooded 'just in case'!!  ^idiot^ ^idiot^ ;D ;D

Boiling for 5 -10 mins should do the trick but not sure about removing the smell of milton

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Either boil for 10 mins OR use milton.  
Milton doesn't taste though I've never really liked the idea of it much, I have used it in emergencies or when travelling.  
It shouldn't do any harm as you can even use it to sanitise drinking water  :eek:

Claire x

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
;D  chux we crossed and agreed as ever  :-*

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Chuxaire?  ;D

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
tell you what, you sign Claire and I'll sign Chux
then confusion will be complete

Chux 
;D

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
I know it is the 'current' guidelines - to sterilise in this country.

However, unless your baby has health problems are was a premature, it is not necessary to sterilise at all.  We are one of the few countries in the world that bother with sterilising anything (My HV let this slip when Iestyn was just under 5 months old and I checked this out with my friends in Oz who have had 6 babies between them).  Apparently just washing everything in hot soapy water or in a dishwasher is more than adequate.

As soon as my HV let this bit of info slip, I packed my steriliser away and never looked back.

We have a tendancy in this country to over sterilise - but if you bare in mind that at 4.5 months old your little one will be putting anything that he/she can pick up into their mouth and you wont necessarily have managed to sterilise them.

So personally, I'm not saying don't ever bother sterilising anything again, that is your call - but what i am saying is that it really wont do your little one any harm if you don't as long as you just wash everything thoroughly.

Love,

Sue xxx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Sue MJ said:
what i am saying is that it really wont do your little one any harm if you don't as long as you just wash everything thoroughly.
I agree and must admit to being a lot more slap dash second time around. For me the whole point of sterilising is to make sure all the milk is off, and the reason I was sterilising mad with J is because I know my washing up is not the best and I didn't trust it. However, with M we had a dishwasher and there were quite a few times I took bottles straight from the dishwasher to use rather than faffing around sterilsing them, even when she was fairly young as I was confident they were clean.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
I'm dreadful at sterilising.  :-[ Most of the time, C's bottles may have done a cycle in the steriliser but then I use them waaaaay after the 3hr limit and the lid has already been opened several times. Dummies were lucky to see the inside of the steriliser after the first blast when newly bought.

Anyway, how are LO's supposed to build any sort of immunity if we sterilise everything to death??

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
:eek: are you ment to sterilise dummies ?  :-\ I never have as for some reason i got it in my head you shouldnt? not that its done L any harm when he does deceide to have one  ::)  ;D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts