Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
am hoping for some encouraging stories! I was originally 'unexplained' and DH swimmers are tip top. I have had 1 fresh IVF which failed despite getting really good embryos (luckily have some frosties sleeping). Before any treatment my clinic tests for cardiolipin and lupus anticoag antibodies along with other things as routine. My cardiolipin antibodies (IgG) have come back raised twice now (in the 40's). I've never been pregnant :( so apparently don't have antiphosphlipid syndrome as have never had clots/miscarriages etc. I did take aspirin and low dose heparin throughout my IVF cycle but it still failed. Feel very confused as to whether the antibodies are what are stopping me get pregnant or not?? I know they can be linked to recurrent IVF failures as well as recurrent miscarriages.
Would love to hear from someone else with a success story in the same boat!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi nellsbells

I can give you a partial success story. I have had 3 miscarriages, having conceived easily each time, and my standard NHS investigations found that I have IgG antibodies at 20. I started on aspirin in January, we had some temporary sperm problems and it has taken longer to conceive but I am now 7 weeks pregnant and taking aspirin every night and injecting with Clexane (LMW heparin) each morning since week 4. So far so good (I have started spotting before this point in the previous 3) though early scan this week will show.

So it could be unlikely that its the anticardiolipin antibodies, but I expect the Dr Beer experts will know better than me. His book does say that women with these antibodies often have other immune issues alongside.

I have read, and been told, that people with APS (with these antibodies) have a 10% success rate without treatment, and 70%-80% success with aspirin and heparin.

Sorry, my story isn't quite the same and I know its hard to be told your situation is "unexplained". My best friend has had 4 miscarriages with no explanation, its very hard to bear as you want to be able to take control and do what  you can to improve your chances.

Have you read the other threads about the immunology tests? Maybe there's something in there that could help...

Good luck
^pray^

1 - 2 of 2 Posts