Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eventually I get to post a birth story!

So on Friday 7th October I had a morning appointment at the antenatal clinic for a sweep as I was 9 days overdue. The sweep was absolutely fine although left me bleeding like a period for the rest of the day. They sent me along to Labour Ward for some fetal monitoring and an induction was booked for Tuesday 11th with me going in on the Monday night.

So me and DH went home to have a  ^hump^!  and just basically to wait and see. When we got home my flat looked really different to me. Can’t explain it really but I knew something was up. I was having lower back pain but nothing major. That night, I posted on here I think, then we got a spicy curry, I sat on my exercise ball and had a bounce and kept drinking raspberry tea. Me and DH got into bed and I was laying there saying how much I didn’t want to be induced when I felt some sudden pressure in my lower back and then a pop and my waters had broken! We were both gobsmacked, rang labour ward who told us to come in, so off we went. Had to lay on a bed for more fetal monitoring and that’s when my contractions started and it was really uncomfortable to lay there.

Midwife examined me - I was 1cm, felt my stomach and said ‘Oh babies very posterior’ (back to back) and I was gutted as I’d done so much to prevent that as I had heard it is much  more painful to give birth like that.. Anyway we were sent home again and told to come back at 6.30pm that night for antibiotics to stop infection as my waters had broken. I was so relieved because I wasn’t ready at all, I wanted to have a bath and shave my legs and be presentable! So on getting home the pain had really cranked up. I put on my TENS machine, got into bed with Dh - He went to sleep straightaway and my contractions just turned into one long pain. Had to come into the lounge and lean over the sofa arm groaning. Eventually the pains started pacing out so that there was a noticeable gap between them and I did manage to get about an hour sleep. I just kept saying “I don’t understand, I don’t understand - why is there no space between the pains!”

The day just went by with me having contractions but it was bearable really. Went back to hospital, left bags in car as thought we’d be getting antibiotics and getting sent home again. As soon as we got onto labour ward my contractions just started getting more intense - finally got taken into a room for an examination and I was 8cm!!!! Could not believe it. Everything just seemed to snowball from there and they told me to have an epidural as I just kept flipping off the bed in agony as it was all in my back. Put me on gas and air which was funny at first but did nothing for me - really didn’t want an epidural but I have to say it was bloody amazing and I thoroughly recommend one! It was just a nightmare for them getting me to stay still long enough on the bed to get it in - I wasn’t really with it at that point I was just sucking constantly on the gas and air and tripping out!!

So pain went straightaway - they got me sitting me up and I was fully dilated, started pushing an hour later which the epidural wore off for so I could feel it and gorgeous Grace was born at 11.30pm - 4 and a half hours after going into hospital for what we thought was a check up and some antibiotics. Even though I was having pains at home I just thought that it wasn’t really labour or that it was going to get much worse and this was the easy bit. God knows!

I spent ages shopping for things for my labour bag and writing a birth plan and none of it was used in the end! Still - what an experience - totally amazing and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone - don’t have any preconceived ideas about pain relief though as you really don’t know how you’re going to feel.

Good Luck everyone
Catxx

·
Registered
251 Posts
Cat - that's the type of birth I want!!  I'm definitely not saying no to an epidural.  Can't beleive you didn't get to use any of the stuff you so carefully shopped for and packed into your maternity bag!!  Just typical eh?

Well done!

Lou xx

·
Registered
158 Posts
I want one like that too!!! You know the kind that are mostly over before you even realise it's happening  ;D!

Well done Cat!

Val x

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Wow, what a great story, Can I have one like that too please  ::)

Congratulations

Niki x

·
Registered
391 Posts
Congratulations on your daughter Grace Cat, looking forward to the pics.

Lolly XXXX

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Well done Cat!

Congratulations!

Siobhan & Kaydn xx

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Cat,

Congratulations and well done for a great birth

Love Mish and Caitlin xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.