Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies
I just need some advice. I was previously at the Lister and had the NK cell test done because I have endometriosis. My results were kind of ok except that my cytotoxic assay at 50:1 was 15 which from reading on here is the high range of normal.

With 5mg of predisolene it brought it down to 12 and with 10mg to 9.

I am not cycling with the Lister as my odds of success were so low so we are going down the donor egg route instead and are scheduled to have our transfer on the 25/2 in Spain.

Our clinic in Spain doesn't believe in immunes as their thinking is that younger eggs wi be healthier anyway and more likely to survive any NK cell attack. My absolute was 109.5 (normal range is below 200), NK percentage was 7.3 (normal range 1-12), total Nk CD69 absolute counts are 0.83 (normal range is below 1.0) and my NK CD69 percentage is 0.75 and normal range is below 1.0

I showed my test results to my GP who is really supportive and he said that he would happily prescribe the steroids and baby aspirin as that's a good idea to take. My clotting tests were fine.

My question is should I take the steroids? 

Am getting really worked up with it all and am paranoid that if I don't take them and have a BFN then I will never forgive myself and if I do take them and don't get pregnant will taking then have ruined my chances??? 

Any advice would be appreciated.

X

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
well.... personally I wouldn't take steroids unless you take them alongside a blood thinner - maybe 20mg clexane - aspirin does a similar job, but clexane is supposed to be more reliable.

I would also want to do an FBC with your GP first just to check that you aren't showing any signs of immunosuppression?

and I would probably want to be on 800mcg of folic acid starting now.

other than that, I think I would prefer to have steroids rather than not to have them... given your borderline high NKa and your history of endo.  you also might want to think about taking resveratrol/pycnogenol between now and ET - have a look under supplements in the FAQ.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Agate
Thanks for your reply. The NK cell test was done in nov and my GP did repeat full blood counts on me over a 6 month period as my white blood count was lower than normal but that's now within normal range.

I guess my concern is taking aspirin and steroids, even at a low dose without telling IVI ( our Spanish clinic). When I showed them my results they just said that there is no real evidence that I need them. I'm not sure my GP will go for clexane though as it's more expensive than baby aspirin. Do u think taking 10mg steroid plus aspirin should be ok? I have read on your brilliant facts that many clinic prescribe this empiracally anyway without any tests.

Can I ask what the increased follic acid would be for?

It's just so annoying as the nurse at the Lister said my results were "fine" but after reading lots of posts from here it would appear that the assay test is the main one and although my result of 15 is normal it's a high normal.

H

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
All TTC ladies are supposed to take 400mcg folic acid for at least 3 months before pg.  steroids slightly increase the risk of birth defects like cleft lip/palate and SOME docs believe that taking a little extra folic acid helps to offset that risk (although I don't think there is any proof of this).

I would think that 75mg aspirin would be better than nothing if your doc will not Px you 20mg clexane - some NHS docs will do a private Px (for an extra fee) if you ask them even if they are not prepared to Px on the NHS.  the reason for needing a blood thinner is that NKa increases your risk of immune attack to the placenta and therefore is supposed to make your more prone to damage/microclots in the placenta - regardless of not having any other clotting issues.  aspirin is a good drug, but clexane is supposed to be a lot more predictable i.e., not give the same risk of making you bleed.  btw you buy aspirin over the counter - its not a prescription drug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts