Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I had IVF last September but it was unsuccessful. During Embryo Transfer the doctor had a very difficult time getting the embryos into my cervix, as it was so tight. Since then the doctors have said I need to have a dilatation before IVF next time. I have this dilatation on Monday, and hope to begin IVF again soon after.
Has anyone had this proceedure done? Will my cervix stay dilated? Also, I have very light periods, I don't know if this cervical stenosis is the reason, but the doctor said if I have any bleed then there is room for sperm to travel through, so this isn't the reason for my infertility!
Thanks for listening
Hope*

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Hope , I could have wrote your post myself!  ;D

I had a FET back last year and I had the exact same problem. Although I also have a tilted womb which makes it even more difficult  :( but I had to be sedated during ET as I almost fainted during my dummy ET as the pain was so bad. Even after being sedated they still only just managed to do it. Anway I had a review with my consultant after and he confirmed that as my cervix is so narrow I will also need dilation for my next cycle. He said you have to have it done when you are having your treatment as it apparently does not last that long  :-\ He also said that I might as well have a hysteroscoy done the same time. I am hoping I can have all of this done on the NHS  ;)

i also find smears and internals sooooooooo painful and I think this is why  :-[ some of the doctors used to look at me like I was a wimp but now I know why they are so painful  ::)

Please let me know how your dilation goes. I'd be really interested to hear if it works.

Good luck x

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi
Just wanted to reply to say I had this procedure done a few years ago prior to my first cycle. I had it done with a local anaesthetic & yes it did work! It made the tranfer really easy (& I got a BFP!). I had other cycles of treatment afterwards but didn't have a problem the next time round (?possibly had stretched a bit after the pregnancy).
I can't say it was pleasant, but it did work & is painless compared to giving birth!
Sarah
xx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks girls

I found out yesterday that they are changing me from the short cycle to the long one! How is that different than the short? I'm also confused as to whether I should be starting my IVF a couple of days after the dilatation or should wait for the period after that- the end of next month?

SLF can I just ask you how soon before IVF was your dilatation? Will I close up over 3 months if I have to wait?

I hate the lack of communication I get from the hospital!!!!

Thanks
Hope*

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi
I can't remember exactly but think it wasn't very long (?about a week before the transfer?). Can you ring the clinic & speak to a nurse? They might be able to tell you?
Best of luck.
SF

·
Premium Member
6,986 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hello girls.  I spotted this thread a couple of weeks ago and had my dilation today so just thought I would tell you how it went. Had a general and the procedure in terms of length pain and recovery seems so far to be about the same as EC under a GA.  I am on day 5 and am on a long protocol for FET so have another couple of weeks before I even start down regging. I was anxious about this but was told this proceedure can last for months.

Hope this helps xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts