Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ruth
Having monitered my most recent cycle - i have noted that i had an lh surge and am in tomorrow for a scan. i posted a few days ago to you as i had no cervical mucus. i am wondering (as i have still not seen egg-white cervical mucus) if this might infact be an added reason as to why we have had problems. my dp has normal motility, count but only 10% normal forms.
i know the morphology is an issue but wondered if it is still possible to conceive with that level of abnormality and that if i am short on normal mucus that this has contributed.
obviously i understand that icsi will bypass this anyway - but is it worth me mentioning to the nurses at our clinic. are there any drugs to help with mucus? would it be worth trying iui first - or is the morphology too bad for that? i just feel maybe they are offering icsi without knowing the full picture...
thanks
eva

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dear Eva04

1)I can't answer your question, but I am also starting to think the same about myself. Sorry for TMI, but in my case, I can only ever recall EWCM in one cycle - its generally creamy and not 'clear'. Last year, we did the post coital test, but they said that overall everything was fine. Like you, I'm starting to second guess, and wonder if this might be part of our problem.

2) I've started drinking the 'green tea' this month, and I've started drinking even more water. I post next month if I see a positive change.

3) I have also read various articles about Robitussin (cough medicine).
I bought one, and asked in the Chemist for the medicine with Gauiphenesin (100mg) only.The bottle I have has only the name Robitussin on it and no letters after the name.
Now I'm a little concerned because it still mentions some other ingredients such as ethanol. I wonder is this still safe to use. Can someone please give me some advice?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Hi Ladies

I too do not often have cervical mucus and wondered if this might be causing a problem, even more so when one of my best friends got pregnant first try and she gets it in copious amounts. I think I've only noticed it in decent volumes about twice in the last year or more!

More than happy to take cough medicine every day to help things along! Do you know the brand names of any that are good to have or what to ask for at the chemist?

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Annie,
I am really not sure what to do. I think I might ask a nurse at our fertility clinic. The last thing i want to do is to start take something which might do more harm than good - as i am having my cycle monitored for icsi. let me know if you find anything out. I wonder if it is possible to conceive naturally with 10% normal forms - and that maybe my cervical mucus has been adding to this problem. In the past i have definitely had egg-white mucus but have no idea at what point in the cycle. But i have had none on the last cycle  - which is the first one i have monitored for these types of things!
eva

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Hi girls
Not everyone has fertile mucus, i used to think i got it but once i was given clomid to make me ovulate then i def noticed a diff in the texture if you know what i mean!
This month no clomid and no CM!  However clomid and other drugs can make you produce less fertile mucus.  If it puts your mind at rest then i would mention it.
Good luck

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Eva

I'll do some digging around on the net and see if I can find anything on cm. I'll keep you posted x

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Guys,

Robitussin has worked for me in the past to increase CM.  It works in the same way as it does for you chest bu loostening the mucus. One of the nurses in my clinic told me about it, so it must be safe!

It must be the red one with no letters!

Good Luck gals

Gem :)

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Hi Eva

After reading Gemsy's post I've decided I'm going to go ahead and give robitssun a try. If it's been recommended by a nurse, I feel more confident!

I had a look on the net and seems they sell it in Boots. Well, I'm assuming when people say the red one, it's the one they do for chesty coughs??? It said it contains guaifenesin, so I'm assuming that's the right one???

Anyhoo, I'm going to give it a go. It's got to be an improvment on all the vitamins I take everyday!

Bottoms Up!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the advise think I will give this a try, will pop to boots later and see of they have any.

Lets hope it works

Claire

·
Registered
59 Posts
For all those running out to boots!!!
I bought Robi. in boots (Irel) and asked for the one that was good for fertility. They gave me the red box, and there are no letters on it with just Gau., but when I checked the side there were other ingredients mentioned such as Ethanol.

Can someone let me know if this is the right one and safe to use?
I did a google search on ethanol and it didn't put my mind at ease.
Perhaps I'm being over analytical but I don't want to be silly either and take a risk.

Would like to hear about the Robi. that you buy at boots!!

Cheers ;)

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Gemsy, maybe you can help us out with this one? Is it the red box (chesty coughs!) that we need to get?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dear AnnieR,

I took a chance and tried the red bottle last night.
I'll probably take some more about CD9 onwards

Good luck

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Hi girls,
I also have hardly any CM and have wondered whether this is a problem.  I hadn't heard about Robitussan but I'm going to give it a try too.  Do you take it every day all through your cycle?
Good luck everyone.
Jx

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Hi Ladies

Just wondering how everyone who was going to try the cough medicine was getting on with it?

I'll be starting it on Monday and looking forward to lots of lovely cm (eeewww!!!)

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Girls
Having read the link to Robitussan (which i bought today) it says that the purpose of it is to make it less thick... well i hardly notice any - so is it worth taking - or is it detrimental??  ???
any thoughts
eva

1 - 17 of 17 Posts