Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

In addition to a 3rd degree tear when I had my daughter I also had a tear to the cervix.  I don't think it was extensive and think that it was left to heal by itself - all the stitching being done on the 3rd degree tear.  In my groggy state I did ask whether the cervical tear would affect future pregnancies and I think the answer was that it shouldn't.  However, there are no definites and I am increasingly worried that this may have weakened my cervix.

Anyway, down to the questions.  I wondered whether cervial tears are common and whether they generally cause problems.  Also, I am wondering whether I should push for an extra scan to check how the cervix is holding out and if so at what stage - my scans are booked for 12 weeks and 22 weeks - would the 12 week be too early and the 22 week one be too late to spot a weakening cervix? Or am I over-cautious?
I seem to be incredibly worried about everything at the moment!

Grateful for any advice you can offer. Thank you

Allie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Allie
i'm affaid i can't answer your questions properly but i can tell you about the scan side of it, your cervix should be checked from week 14 onwards because with a weak cervix  the average time for it beginning to open is from 16 weeks to 21 weeks, i'm sure you won't have a problem, and i would of thought they would keep an eye on you anyway and if not ask for reassurance scans to put your mind at rest, hope this helps a little, lisaxxx

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lisa.

I will ask for additional checks when I meet the midwife next week. 

I don't seem to be able to find any information on the effect of cervical tears on future pregnancies.  Perhaps the midwife will be able to help next week.  I was even thinking of trying to contact the secretary of the consulatant who checked my 3rd degree tear and sorted out the resulting absessy thing to ask for reassurance or extra checks but then I don't think they like to be approached directly - or else they'd be inundated with neurotic ladies like me!.  But to just wait and see is not really an option.

Allie

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Sorry, I can't help you on this one. We so need a midwife on here!!!! I went from general nursing straight to fertility so only have v.basic midwifery knowledge.

Ruth

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries Ruth, I thought it may not be something that you would have come across but thought I'd give it a go.  I am seeing my midwife on Wednesday.  Hopefully she will be able to advise me - if not I will consider approaching the person who checked the repair.....she seems approachable so hopefully wont bite my head off!

Hope you are feeling better.

Allie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts