Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

You may be interested to take a look at this programme on Channel 4 this Saturday (it's also repeated at 5.20am on Monday morning).

Look out for the 'anonymous woman' who blubs "we just want to have a baby"... Yes, that's me! Filming was about 4 weeks ago when we were still decorating - so take no notice of the state of the house - please!

I hope that they represent this topic well - it's great to have publicity, but if it's too sensational it could put people off....

Susie
x

30 Minutes

Channel: Channel 4
Date: Saturday 26 June Time: 6:00pm to 6:30pm

Episode
Desperate for a Baby

Review
Zaiba Malik investigates the subject of fertility tourism as more British women who require donated eggs in order to conceive search abroad for a solution. As waiting lists in the UK stretch to two years, she queries the system and questions what has gone wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I'll set the video for that soozzee

Well done you

Clare

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Well done girlie - you are really brave to do this and make people realise the agonising wait we have for donor eggs in this country.

Love Indianna xx

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well done Soozzee,, it's great that you've done this,any publicity can only be good i feel as ED is still such a taboo subject :mad: & people should be made aware of the REAL heartache of couples who need help......i will be watching ;)

Again... well done you!!!!!!

luv
juel xx

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Awww I only caught the last 10minutes, will have to set the video for Monday morning, well done for doing it !

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw the programme and it provided usefull information but I did not catch the name of the website that the lady in Surbiton has set up? Anyone who can help? Want to check out as many option as possible....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too saw the programme and missed the important names and websites. Can anyone put me in touch with the doctor that 'prepares' women here in the UK and then sends them to Spain?

I have had one treatment using egg sharing and am on the waiting list to have a second attempt.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Hi Classic,

Our sites Fertility nurse(Sarah) here is currently setting up a link between a well respected UK London Hospital(where she currently works) and a clinic in Spain.

You might like to ask her ;)

Mel,

·
Registered
931 Posts
Well done Susie!

It is great that at last a programme has been made to highlight the crisis for donor eggs.

I myself do not understand the reasons behind a woman not willing to egg share - at my clinic not one woman even considered doing it. I fully appreciate the possible implications of embryo donation, but if Id had the chance to help another woman in my situation, I wouldn't have hesitated in giving some of my eggs up.

Best of luck with your journey now Susie. Thinking of you.

x

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Hi Suzie

You star!!

I thought the programme was really interesting but I thought they made going abroad sound a very unsafe and second rate route to take which I think is unfair.

I fully believe in going to Spain for donor eggs. Like you said you have to keep our main reason for doing this in sight. We cannot wait around for 2 years every time we want a chance of getting our dream.

Love Indianna
(fellow fertility tourist) ;D

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Hi Suzie

Just watched my recorded episode of 30 minutes and thought it was very powerful. It really put the case for paid donation well and I thought made the HFEA look very uncaring.

Clare

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Everyone

Thanks so much for all the messages...

We were a bit disappointed that they made it seems as if all clinics abroad were a bit dodgy. We were totally astounded by Suzi Leather's comments though! I can't believe that she denied that there's a shortage of donors! ARGH! I am planning to write to her today to let her know what I think of her comments!

Susie
x

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Mel and I only caught the last couple of minutes - enough to hear Suzi Leathers comments - and It shocked us too.

I would love to see her response Susie :)

Tony,
x

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Tony :)

I also have a copy should you or anyone else need to borrow it.

I was also very shocked at how negative Suzi Leather was too. How can she say that there is no shortage when the long waiting lists prove that there is!

Rachel xx

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi everyone

Just to let you know that I spoke to the National Gamete Donation Trust (www.ngdt.co.uk). They'd seen the programme & were really surprised by Suzi Leather's comments. Their remit is to raise awareness of the lack of donors - seems that somehow Ms Leather wasn't aware!

They've been in touch with Channel 4 to get more information from them & they'll be deciding how to progress this later this week.

Meanwhile, my letter to Ms Leather has been postponed because my PC has been playing up all day :(

Susie
x

·
Registered
154 Posts
hi suzie, ;D

just wanted to say a big WELL DONE! for doing the ch4 programme, missed it on sat night but got hubby to tape it for me last nite. my sister and i watched it this morning and we thought i was very moving.

suzi leathers comments were amazingly ill informed and i found it quite incredible listening to her. i was speechless!

well done again suzie ^clapping^

tracey.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, good luck to you..... I wrote in on Saturday after the programme to see if anyone got the details of the lady in Surbiton who is running overseas "programmes" and use the doctor for potentional recipients. If anyone know her website adr or other details please let me know. It is an option Im very interested in...

Thank you...

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Can't believe I missed this programme - does anyone know if it's going to be repeated?!

Suzie - you are star! Well done! I ahev only just got upt he courage to do a press interview - and that was scary enough! Got a good article though so now feel very pleased with myself..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts