Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to go to Cornell and they have sent me a list of their required tests, a number of which are not commonly provided here, namely the genetic tests. These are what I have to have with the prices I was quoted at one London clinic. Does anyone else know where these can be done cheaper?

Cystic Fibrosis £170
Fragile X £250
SMA (spinal muscular atropy) £330

Total £750!!
It's a lot. Maybe some of you had these done in the US and they were cheaper there? Please let me know, this extra expense is awful. Also, was quoted £225 for karotyping so would like to get that done cheaper as well if poss.
I wish there was a section on the site where we could all compare prices for tests, there are such huge differences, I was looking for an HSG and most were around £450-£500 but got one for £365 in the end...

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I'm in London and can't remember how much I paid for my tests but TDL, the path lab, HCA labs will be able to give you prices their prices are all around Harley St/W1. The birth company absolute do overseas bloods.
Good luck

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help JJL, you answered my £ query on immunology as well.  I'm also in London, but if the prices are cheaper in the US I'll wait till I get there.  I'm going to check the prices from all the London labs you mention, re 'theBirth Company Absolute', do you mean 'the birth company?', or is there another lab called 'Absolute'?
I see you're been through quite a lot so I appreciate your help, I've been trying for a while but only with assisted methods recently, and a bit late in the day.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, Urbangirl

We went to SRM Seattle for our DE IVF.  I am how 7 weeks pregnant!!

Anyway, as for genetic testing, SRM used 'Counsyl'.  You can google their website.  They are based in California and you can order their testing kit online.  I think it was about $500 for whole lot of genetic testing (about 10?), not just Fragile X, CF, etc.  They also charged $150 for FedEx, but that included the return postage.  My husband just sent his saliva sample in a small plastic tube to their lab.  It was easy!

They sent us and SRM the result by e mail.

Good luck on your forthcoming treatment!!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Nada Surf, congratulations on your pregnancy, that is fantastic, you must be over the moon.  :) Lucky you.
I think what you quoted for Counsyl is the cheapest so far, so I will probably go for them.  It works out to be about £420, which is more than £200 cheaper than me having it done in London!  I didn't know you could do it as a saliva test, I thought you had to give blood.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, Urbangirl

Thanks for your kind message.  We are both very excited!  It took years to get here, but it was worth the wait.

I do hope Counsyl test is what Cornell is looking for.  I would check with Cornell before you order your kit from Counsyl.  My husband now says it was $450 for test and $150 for FedEx.  I remember it took about 10 days to receive the kit and probably 10 days to reach their lab with his 'sample', so it took a lot longer to get result.  We didn't know that London clinic require blood test for genetic testing.  I hope it's the same test!

Another word of caution; because we ordered the kit online, our credit card company thought it was suspicious (some unknown lab in California!) and stopped the transaction.  It would be a good idea to check with your card provider to see if the payment went through ok.

I also did HSG and it wasn't cheap!!  American clinics do go over the top in terms of tests, but their doctor said, 'we want to make sure every t is crossed and every i is dotted.  We know that you are investing so much into this cycle emotionally and financially, so we want to do everything we can to improve your chance!'.

Good luck and if I could be of any help, please let me know!

Take care.  Always love x

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello nada, thanks for the extra tips. I emailed Counsyl, I think the price must have gone down because they quoted me $390, but they said it doesn't include the Fragile X, but anyway, that is still a big saving.  I'm just waiting to hear back from Cornell now as to whether they accept it, I really hope so.  The clinic in London didn't tell me it was blood test actually, I just assumed that.

US clinics do seem to be a lot more expensive but hopefully it's worth it, I wonder if that was your first try over there? I hope it works for me as well. Enjoy the months ahead. :)  :)

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Just stepping in with a quickie to add that with the current exchange rate $400 is only a smidge over 250GBP... no doubt I'm stating the obvious and you already have that in your cost calcs...  ;)
Good luck one and all.

Trip x

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello again.

I'm sure our test kit included Fragile X and it was $450.  Anyway, I hope Counsyl works out ok for you.

We thought our American clinic was fantastic.  They were very friendly and professional.  We received a 'thinking of you' card from them by post. 

Another word of my advice;
While you are in US, I assume you will bring your UK mobile with you.  If so, they need to dial 44 in front of your mobile number.  Our Egg Donation co-ordinator knew it and she had no problem keeping in touch during our stay, but their weekend staff didn't know.  We didn't get their message (about needing to take new medication on Sunday) and co-ordinator rang us first thing on Monday morning to see if we received the message.  The answer was... 'no..'.  We had to go to their clinic asap for a booster injection to catch up with missed medication.  In fairness, the injection was free because it was their error.

Not every American knows that foreign mobile needs country code.  Canadians use the same country code, so they might assume it's the same all over the world!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I know,so I would have saved around £250 minus the cost of fedexing, but the latest is that Cornell will not accept a saliva test so I am just doing a final check around of prices to find the cheapest here.  I thought it might be cheaper to have it done in person in the US but it seems to be more expensive.  All in all very disappointing  :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts