Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that baby is placed with us for adoption we can get child benefit, does anyone know what we do? The standard form requires the birth cert or adoption cert, we have neither at the moment.

Fiona

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
Hiya

I might be wrong but until the child is legally adopted I don't think you can claim child benefit. I would ask your sw to clarify as we were told we wont get it until the legal adoption

I assume they are still giving you your fostering allowance until the adoption ?
xx

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suzie,

Fostering allowance has stopped and sw said we can apply for CB, see is coming out next week so I will ask her.

Fiona

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
Im not sure how your LA do it but we get paid up until the legal adoption! As technically you are still fostering until that time.

Sorry cant help further

xx

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They say that as baby is now placed with us for adoption then the allowance is stopped, the same as any baby placed with a family for adoption wouldn't get a fostering allowance while waiting to go to court.

It's a minefield isn't it  :-\

Fiona

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Hi Fiona

We have been told we can claim CB but it will probably take a while to come through and then will be backdated.  Not sure what paperwork we have to have but I'm sure our SW said she had to write something....

Do you have a panel date yet?

Love
OT x

·
Registered
931 Posts
With DD's arrival I seem to remember getting a Child benefit number or something pretty quickly. I can't actually remember how I got it, I think it just arrived (ie. organised by SS).
I had to have child benefit  (my reference number) before I could claim Child Tax Credit.

Whether it's all changed since then (3 years ago), I don't know.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Obviously I wasn't fostering our DS first but on the day of placement we got his placement order and birth certificate. We had to send off birth certificate with application and also include a contact number for a SW involved in our case so they could ring and confirm and then I got my Child Benefit.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Hi Ladies

I have just filed my claim for CB so can advise how i did it

We do have copies of Birth certs so sent them off with the standard CB pack forms which i think you can ring to get (our LA send us out the CB pack) and it has a section for adoption- it has a bit about not sending in birth certs and a reason why- i know they then contact your LA to confirm details as some birth parents/families dont stop claiming CB once children are removed!

Suzie- when your getting fostering money you cant get CB however once that stops then you can...........think at the mo your alot better off!  :)

Fiona- as you have another child that you get CB for maybe give them a ring and ask as it may be a shorter process for you.

xxx

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, Now that I have bothered to look at the form I have more of an idea ;D

We have a CB number already because of DS, there is a box to tick saying that you aren't sending birth/adoption cert. I ticked this and wrote that baby's birth cert has been sent off to court.

Will let you know what happens.

Old Timer - We went to panel shortly after SS recommendation, it was the same panel that had seen us for fostering, just waiting for court date now ^pray^

Fiona

1 - 10 of 10 Posts