Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies

I saw a Chinese herbalist last week about my infertility and eczema and for the first time had some acu and he prescribed me some herbs. I am a bit concerned as today i googled the herbs that I have been given me and found the following on 2 of them :-

Dang gui – “Pregnant women should not take this herb because it may encourage menstruation”
Mu Dan Pi – “Used for inducing menstruation”

Whilst I am obviously not pregnant I am worried that these 2 herbs could have a negative effect on my already so slim chances of conceiving and was wondering if any of you with experience of TCM can offer any advice - am i panicking unecessarily or should I be concerned about his prescription?

Oh and also out of the 10 herbs that make up the mix these are the only 2 that appear to be connected to reproductive health, all the others are connected to skin or generally helping organs such as lungs, liver, stomach etc...

I have emailed the guy voicing my concerns and asking for clarification but as yet have had no response

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Amanda xx

·
Registered
408 Posts
hi amanda,

i haven't personally been treated with herbs but my dh and i have regular acupuncture and he has been treated with chinese herbs.  the idea behind tcm is to treat the whole person, not just the one condition that may be bothering them, so your acupuncturist/herbalist has probably prescribed the herbs you mention to bring your whole body back into balance.  can i ask what your fertility troubles are? if they are to do with your menstrual cycles then it sounds quite logical that he has given you herbs related to this.  i would definitely voice your concerns to him though and ask him to properly explain his reasons for giving you these herbs.  it may be that they are for short term use and, during that time, you should hold off on ttc?  ???

hope you get some answers from him.

wishing x

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Wishing

Thanks for replying. I have sightly raised FSH, probable poor egg quality due to my age and hostile cm  ^bigbad^ I had one failed ivf in Feb and my consultant said there was no point trying again so we are doing everything we can to ttc naturally. My cycles are normally regular as clockwork although bizarrely i was due to surge the day after my acu but was 3 days late. He did say about treating the body as a whole to bring it back in to balance but the whole inducing menstruation thing has really scared me as that's the one thing in this IF lark i don't seem to have a problem doing  ;D When i googled the herbs i was expecting to see quite a few that would aid my skin and organs but also some that would indicate a potential reduction in fsh etc..

Amanda xx 

1 - 3 of 3 Posts