Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

weird email about to come forth.....am typing it as much to sort it out in my own head as well as to get some feedback.

I've had an email today from a british friend of ours who's been living in china for the past few years. His chinese friends asked him to contact us as the recent earthquake has left thousands of orphaned children. Back in 1976 when they had their last major disaster they opened the gates to allow foreigners to adopt the resulting orphans, and they are considering do so now. My guess is that we'd still have to be approved for overseas adoption here anyway, and that can take years, by which time the pressure will have been alleviated over there......would that be what most of you guys think?

My initial reaction was just to thank my friend for thinking of us but explain why the logistics probably wouldn't work for. But i also thought i'd post this on here to see if anyone has ever heard of any strange exceptions to the current laws, as i can't help thinking now that having both a british and chinese friends "on the ground" over there might mean something could be worked out. .....am i being crazy? Is it worth investigating? Its a disaster on a scale that we cant really imagine over here, and if adoption can help relieve some pressure over there while making my family it sounds good to me??

all feedback welcome!
xruthie

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ruthie,
I would imagine that yes you'd need to be an approved intercountry adopter to progress this and oyu're right that it can take a long time. But it's heartbreaking to think of all those children who have lost so much and China has always been v.supportive of UK adopters so you never know, they might be trying to speed up the process. If you want to look into it further can I suggest you give the IAC a call (contact details can be found at: www.icacentre.org.uk ) as DH & I talked to them previously when we were looking into intercountry and they were v. helpful.

Good luck honey
Sarah

/links
xx

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was looking at some pics in todays paper about the earthquake, and It made me think about the orphans. Strange to come on here and find this post.

I would certainly start making enquiries about it, it cant hurt. Good luck xxx Heather x

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
Hiya - don't take my message as knowledge, just opinion, especially as I live in Spain so it's completely different!

My friend is currently waiting to adopt a child from China and was accepted a year ago. She was expecting her daughter next April but has just been informed that in the past weeks the legislation there has changed and now she will have to wait at least a year more. China has strict rules on adoption as it is such a popular country to adopt fom...they include age, weight, past use of medication etc. etc. Although there are many many children available to adopt, there are also many many people wanting to adopt...especially from the USA currently. However, things may be very different from Britain as they may have different agreements with China. We have 2 adopted chinese girls in our school and our friends adopted 1 year ago and they are a delight. If you can do it then I would fully reccomend it. Even if by the time you get accepted to adopt the children from the earthquake have found homes (remembering that it may take a while for them to be recommended for adoption as I guess other family members would be contacted 1st), there are still many other darlings that need a family.

Good luck

Kay xxx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts