Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies, as you can see from my signature we have had a lot of bad luck and really feel as though we have come to the end of the road in terms of trying to have our own children. DH and I have both been thinking about adoption for a long time now - we feel as though it is the right path for us to follow. We feel very excited at the prospect of becoming a mummy and daddy! We know that we will have to wait a while and are making the most of this bit of time out. I am thinking that I will start the ball rolling in the summer.

We live in Warwickshire, so we are very close to Birmingham, Worcestershire, Solihull etc and really don't know which agency we should start the process with. I was thinking of calling each one and was wondering if anyone has any advice about the best and most informative questions to ask.

I would really appreciate your help! I was also wondering if anyone has experience in dealing with any of these agencies?

Many thanks xxx

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Hi

I found emailing all the LA/VA's within a 50mile radius and awaiting their responce, the LA we went with replied to my email at 7.50am on a monday morning(i only emailed them on the sun night) and i had a 30min call from a SW on the tue and it all started from there

I would ask them questions like
*how long does the process take?
*when is the next prep course running that has spaces?

you need to get a good "feel" for them and it is a personal choice who you go with- our own LA is 40miles from us and they have been fab- from start to now (just had our 2 children move in last month) it took under 18months!

xxx

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi there

I'm sorry for everything you've been through, you sound just like I did a couple of months ago (see my sig too!). We've recently decided to apply to an agency (VA) after a coupld of months of initial phone calls, emails, info evenings etc. If you go to the BAAF website http://www.baaf.org.uk/res/agencydb/index.shtml you can search for the LA's / VA's in your area. There is also a search section on the Adoption UK site.

Next step is to ring or email a few. Questions we initially and more recently have asked were along the line of:

- Are you taking on prospective adopters for children under 5 (as this is the age range we are hoping for, quite a key question really as some answered 'no' straight off, unless willing to take on a siblig group)
- How long does the process take (to approval)
- What post adoption support do you offer and for how long
- How long (roughly) do approved adopters wait to be matched
- How often do the prep courses run and do you have to attend this before starting the home study
- What's the chance of not being approved
- How many children do you place per year
- How many approved adopters do you have waiting to be matched
- How many cases does one SW take on at one time
- How do you match approved adopters with children

It all seems a bit of a mine field to start with but once you've made a decision and applied it all feels so much better.

Good luck and I hope I've helped a bit, I remember asking the same question a few months ago.

Diz x

/links

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Diz and MJ,
Thank you both for all your advice. I am much clearer in the things I need to ask on the phone. I may have time over the next couple of weeks (in half term) to start gathering the information needed to make our decision. We are still just chilling out and taking our time, but writing this post was our first step!! :eek:

Thank you both so much. No doubt I will be asking for more advice along the way!

Take care xxx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts