Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
;D Well as I have 5 minutes whilst bubs is asleep I thought I would quickly write down my birth story.

Tuesday - what can I say about Tuesday apart from I went shopping into Leamington and had my haircut.  I also had my eyebrows done and joked with the therpist about sending me into labour.  Well, to be fair it didn't and I was on here in chat till maybe 10:30 with not a flicker or a sign of the night to come.

Wednesday -  David woke me up as he was moving next door for a good nights sleep escaping from my 'alledged' snoring problem for a good nights sleep at 1 am.  Fantastic the whole bed to myself !  So what do you do you roll onto your other halfs side of the bed because it is plainly more comfortable than your own and poisition yourself to that the carefully placed pad to protect the mattress is no longer serving its purpose ! 

Anyway at about 3am my waters broke and this time I knew it was for real - there was gallons of the stuff.  I managed to make my way to the bathroom and just stood in the bath and called David in.  At that point I was having no contractions so we decided to wait until the morning and see what happened contraction wise as my waters were perfectly clear.  In the meantime I decided to have a bath to clean myself up a bit and get a pad on etc before going back to bed for some sleep.  Well just as I got into the bath I started having contractions, not one every 10 - 20 minutes or so but I was having 3 or 4 every 10 minutes.  The intensity was incredible.  David sorted out the TENS machine whilst I stayed in the bath which at this stage was doing nothing to help me along the way. 

Finally - we got the TENS machine on, it felt like hours to me but in fact was probably only about 10 minutes total time.  We decided that we would call the hospital for advice but do so after david had had a shower.  Well I say we decided - david gave me no choice and phoned the hospital who told us to come in to be checked out.  So off we went, we did marginally miss the car park entrance in David's panic to get me there. I guess we arrived at 5am ish 

On arrival we were taken straight into a delivery room and I was put on a monitor to check how things were and everything was fine.  After an internal they determined I was 3cm dilated, I was offered pain relief but she told me to try and cope with the TENS machine.  I was not finding this too effective to be fair.  Having said that they were TENSing the bed rather than me because the pads had peeled off and stuck to the bed. Anyway we went further on and I became quite distressed so David called the midwife and we decided to go for some Gas and Air.  Well it certainly makes you feel drunk and in my case it made me sick drunk - so after 3 or 4 contractions I was contracting and throwing up, not to be recommended at all.  (Midwife tip - start on the gas and air as soon as you feel tightening and don;t wait until you have pain.  Unfortunately for me I had no tightenings I just had pain).  The good thing about gas and air is that you really do breath properly because it is really hard to during a contraction, David was fab and really helped with that one.

So at that point I started seriously considering my options so the midwife came and examined me at 7:30 ish.  At that point I was 6 cm dilated so she was dubious about Pethadine and ruled out an epidural but she did offer the option of a bath.  I went for it - it was the best move ever !!!  The relief of a hot bath was incredible and having water poured over bump was great.  I don;t know how long I was in the bath for but the midwife kept checking the heartbeat with a waterproof sonicaid so she was able to tell where the babies head was roughly without having to do an internal exam.  Suddenly I had an incredible urge to have a poo so we got out of the bath as this was a strong indicator things were really progressing.  I did not want to lie on the bed to deliver and although I had intended to go on all fours I ended up kneeling across the bed with david kneeling holding my hands on the opposite side.  It felt really well supported.  The only slight panic was we lost the heartbeat of baby for a while and I had to rock back into a very uncomfy position so she could find it, overwhelming relief when she finally did.

So what about 2nd stage labour - I don't really have a lot to say on it because in my case bubs came out in 7 minutes, 3 pushes and I had no pain relief at all.  I did give the midwife quote for the week though - as most women are saying get that thing out I said - ' Has it got hair !'  Once bubs had arrived they asked david if he would like to let me know what it was and he told me it was a girl, after a little hesitation of trying to work it out.  Unfortunately as second stage was so quick I did get a second degree tear which meant the midwife had to do some tapestry on me, hey ho !  I didn;t mind because I had my perfect baby girl.

Overall, I reckon I was lucky having such a quick labour of just about 7 hours from waters breaking until delivering.  Speaking to the midwife on maternity she reckons that one reason for having such a good labour was taking the Raspberry Leaf tea extract.

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Clare :)

Thats a fantastic story, I have to say Hats Off to you cos you did very very well lady, what a star!  :)  Such a great story, thanks for sharing and loads of love to you & Dh :)

Amanda xxx

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Awwwww fantastic clare, bought a tear to my eye, lovely story. 
And, can I say - I can't believe you've given birth already! The past 6 months have flown by so fast - seems like only last night we was talking about you being 12 weeks preg!!  :eek:
Take care,
Marie xx

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
What a wonderful story, thanks for sharing it with us Clare.

Now get some photos up of your special little girl we all want to see her so much :) :)

Love Jo
x x x

·
Registered
209 Posts
What a good story

Hope mines as quick :)

Will have to send Phil out for the Rasberry Leaf tea :)

SUZ
XXXX

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
great story clare, i think raspberry leaf tea sales are gonna go up now if all the mummy's to be read this  ;D

i can't wait to see a pic of little Alexander either

luv pam xx

·
Registered
442 Posts
Great story Clare

Loisxxx

PS: Did you need a sieve?

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Congratulations Clare - what a fab story  ;D

Nic G xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Clare,

What a fab account of your happy event  ;D

Sorry about the tear but massive congratulations again on the wonderful end result ... Alexandra

Loads of love
Dee
xxx
;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Arrr Clare

Fantastic! has brought tears to my eyes.

You (and david!!) have done fantastically. Time has flown I can remember that phone call in the early weeks!

Cant wait to see you all

love

jeanette x

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
FAB story Clare!

Really pleased all went so well for you and so delighted that little alexandra had such a great entrance to the world!

Hun xx

·
Registered
354 Posts
Dear Clare & David

Well done - what a team you are - hope you're all doing well. Can't wait to see piccies :) :) :)
Lots of love Bev H xxxxx

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dear Clare,

Firstly a BIG CONGRATULATIONS!! and well done!!

Your birth story was fab and has put me at ease a little. I know you a very busy lady, but did the stitches hurt?

Love jen xx

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Wow

Clare

fab story

Love Mini and mini mini xx

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Clare

Wow what a story. Where are the piccies ;) :) ?

Love Kimx  x x

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi Clare

A huge congratulations to you and dh, fantastic im so pleased for you both

take care of yourself

love
bitbit
xxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Fab story Clare  :)  Congrats again to you and your dh.

Love to you both and your precious new arrival.

Jayne x

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
^congrats^ ^congrats^ ^congrats^

^pinkted^  Congratulations clare and David ^pinkted^

Martine xxxxx

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Clare,

Fantastic story, so glad you are all home safe and sound with your bundle of joy!

I had a feeling you'd be holding your baby this week, when you said you'd had contractions on the Saturday. ;)

Congratulations again to you and Dh on a job well done!

Luv Taff x

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Clare,
What a great story!
So glad everything went OK for you all.
Love and hugs
Sally
xxxxxx

1 - 20 of 33 Posts