Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After much soul searching, many hurdles lept etc.... dh finally agreed that he would like just ONE more attempt to try for another baby.  (Last year was a definate no-no, amongst other probs).  I have been keeping this quiet, trying to take one day at a time, one step at a time and trying to be laid back about stuff - huh, worked to an extent, but who am I kidding.

Anyway, I really thought that our Clinic were going to give us a big fat No to another SSR when we went back to them at the beginning of May.  However, our Consultant was very supportive and couldn't see why we shouldn't have another SSR (though reading us the usual stuff... no g'tee's etc....).  So we've just been waiting for a date to come through for the Op.

Well, we had a kick in the teeth this week when on Thursday we got a letter from the Clinic (Bristol CRM), to say the Anaethetists report has come back and the Anaethetist is not happy to have Dh undergo an SSR at their Clinic, as it is an isolated Clinic, not attached to a hospital - so if there were complications, then they could run into trouble effectively.

The reason for this worry, on their part, is that Dh has slight Kidney Impairment, as a result of the anti-rejection drugs he takes following his Double Lung transplant back in 1996 - so they are being cautious about putting him under a GA.  (That said, Papworth Hospital where he had his transplant, did not seem worried last week, when he mentioned having a GA for an SSR).

What the Clinic did say in their letter was that another Clinic may carry out the SSR if they are a part of a Hospital.

So I was wondering if any of you out there have undergone an SSR at a Clinic attached to a Hospital - if so which Clinic's/Hospitals?

Also - is there any stats on success rates of SSR's at the various Clinics?

I would initially be interested in any Clinics in the South West, but would look towards the Midlands and London if need be.

Really need some hope re-instilled into me as feeling very very low right now.

Thanks for taking the time to read my babble and look forward to hearing anyones experiences.

Love,

Sue xxxx

P.S.  Dh requires the procedure where the sperm is taken from testicular biopsies.  He has Cystic Fibrosis.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi
I dont know if this is any help but my dp had ssr with an open biopsy at midlands fertlity services in birmingham, they did this under a mild sedative and local anasthetic, He wasnt knocked out for it , just had something to make him relax! The clinic is not attached to a hospital. Has your clinic not offered him this. Hope this helps, feel free to ask me any questions, i Know how frustrating all this can be!!
Good luck
Emma XXX ::)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi Sue,

Fantastic news that you guys are going to try again, absolutely over the moon for you!

Just wondering why you have to have a GA? When they checked dh (many years ago now) they did a biopsy under local, the subsequent SSR's were all done under local - from the teste area too......anyway Kings is in London and a whole lot cheaper than private clinics and is attached to a hospital.....

Good luck and keep me posted

love
maxbabe
xxx

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Dear Sue,

The Hammersmith (Wolfson) were all geared up to do a SSR on my DH. They are located at Hammersmith Hospital and the Urology Department was going to do the procedure.

http://www.ivfhammersmith.com/

In the end we had a successful thaw and we able to proceed without this.

My DH has had both of his TESE's at Middlesex Hospital UCH. They work with the ACU and they may be an option.

http://www.conception-acu.com/

Good luck!

With love from,

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Girls,

Not sure why it's under GA (though not sure Dh would like to consider it under Local) - I'm sure they told us in the past that they tend to get better results under a GA.... who knows!

My Consultant phoned me back first thing yesterday morning and was really supportive - knew how devastated we would have been having received his letter. 

He told us about the Anaesthetists report, how they looked at how dh responded to the GA last time - apparently his heart rhythem changed and then the deterioration of his renal function since them etc.... So re-iterated how he wasn't prepared to do an SSR in their isolated center.

I told him that Dh had just had a check up at Papworth Hospital - where he had his lung transplant and had mentioned to them that he was waiting for a date to come through for his SSR - they didn't seem phased by this.

So, my Consultant said, that the Aneasthetist had said that if he was in a normal 'hospital' environment, he wouldn't hesitate in allowing the op to go ahead - but they have to cover their backs.

My Consultant said he's happy to approach other Clinics attached to hospitals on our behalf, because at least they've got our records and will get through to the right people to talk to, without us having to arrange Consultations at all different Clinics to find one that will do the Op.

So I said, that sounded like the best way of going about things and will he be charging us for doing this on our behalf, when he responded.....

'Good Gracious NO...... you are old friends...' Bless - Do you think he'll think we're such old friends that we'll get a free ICSI cycle ^chuckle^.

Joking aside though, I was impressed that they wont charge us for doing the leg work for us, coz this potentially could end up being quite costly on top of your normal costs for SSR/ICSI.

So now it's a case of sit tight and wait........ Please Please let someone come back with some good news for us.

Thanks again for your input girls,

Love,

Sue xxxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Sue, your consultant sounds fantastic  :)  Keeping everything crossed for you that you get good news soon.  God knows you deserve it  :-*

Love

Jayne x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.