Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

My husband and I are finally going for our first appointment at the QEH at Kings Lynn on 7th May and i was wondering if anyone knew what their policy is on prescribing Clomid as our GP explained it might be an option for us depending on my BMI, as I am quite overweight.

So not only are we worried about what will happen at our first appointment but we are now worried that due to my weight they might not be willing to prescribe me Clomid due to my weight.

Any advice etc would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hi Ruby Red,

All clinics are different so not sure what the QEH are like for BMI. At my baseline scan at Bourn Hall on May 9th I will be weighed. I'm also now worried they may cancel tx. I think I'm quite borderline. Never used clomid, still have a box in my cupboard.

Hope your consultation goes well and you can start tx soon.

Katie xxx

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
hi

when i went to the QEH under Mr Altaher's clinic they prescribed me clomid to try for 6 months but also checked my BMI was within their criteria range before giving me it. I can remeber what they said their limit was though, sorry  :-[

Good luck for the appointment  ^reiki^

Jo xxx

p.s... just a warning, if they're going to scan you in the appointment they usually prefer to do the 'dildo' cam instead of the one on the tummy so have an empty bladder  ::)  ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys
Our appointment didn't go as well as we hoped. The doctor we saw calculated my BMI to be 52, when in fact it was 47.5, she'd written my height down to be 158cms when in fact my GP told me it was 167! Big difference. She told us to come back in a years time after i had lost 38 kg as she couldn't offer us anything on the NHS til then.

I've lost just over 3 kg in 4 weeks, mainly because i am depressed and therefore don't feel like eating, i'm just sooooo frustrated and to make matters worse a Consultant at Luton and Dunstable hospital would treat me now even with my BMI, which is currently at 46.5.  :'(

Now trying to lose the weight and just going through things test by test.  :(

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Oh Ruby, I'm so sorry as that is total pants. :-[

I'll keep everything crossed that you continue to do well with the weightloss....did he say what he wanted your BMI to be ideally??? If you can manage 3kg a month, then you'll be there in a year...........even though that probably seems a lifetime away....... :'(

Have you been given any reading on weight and fertility???? I'm not sure whether there is a correlation, but either way it could give you the incentive to lose weight, or find a better clinic that will treat you regardless of your weight..........

Take care hun,
Krysia xxx

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
im so sorry ruby  ^hugme^ was it mr al-taher you saw? hes usually quite nice  ^hugme^

could you not go to the other hospital and pay privately? i know its not ideal but just an idea. i know QEH like the bmi to be around 30 or less  ^hugme^

jo xxx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
We saw Dr Godithi, who said she could'nt offer us anything on the NHS until my weight was down to 95 kg - my height at 167cm and weight 95 kg gives a BMI of 34 - which is when they've said treatment could begin. It was 47.5 at the appointment on 7th May and my weight was 133kg. My BMI is now 46.5 and my weight is now 129 kg, so its going in the right direction but i just want things to move faster, we've waited long enough already.

The only hospital we've found that would see us with my high BMI, is Luton and Dunstable in Bedfordshire and short of moving they can't see us, as its another PCT so we wouldn't be funded.

Private clinics that we've contacted won't entertain us because of my BMI, so back to square one.

So its a case of waiting to do all the tests and going back in 10 1/2 months. My GP has sent a letter to Mr Al-Taher requesting him to see us personally in an attempt to "get things moving", as my GP put it, what good that will do i don't know.

We just feel so disappointed, we know that 10 1/2 months is not long to wait but it does feel like a lifetime, especially for my husband who has no children, at least i have 2 sons which is better than nothing, it would just complete us to have a child of our own.

Thanks for your posts, its nice to share this with someone.
:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi girls,
Just thought i would drop a quick note to you ruby red as i am kinda in the same position as you. When i started my tx at the west Suffolk hospitalthey also refused to treat me due to being overweight i was 19 stone they told me i had to go down to 100-105kg i think they said. They put me in touch with the dietition but her diet didn't work. I was also so desperate like you sound so took some sketchy advice and tried the Cambridge diet you do have to get Ur GP to sign to say you can go on it. My consultant wasn't happy but GP was so i stuck it out in 4 months i got down to 92kg went back and she said yep they will start me on chlomid for 6 months. Unfortunately i have put on a bit of the weight i lost and they have said i need to loose it again or if the chlomid don't work they wont refer me to Bourne hall.
I just wanted to say keep your chin up when they told me no i hit rock bottom cried for days and then thought fu I'm gonna do this and prove the consultant wrong.
I was also very bitter about everyone having babies and when my sil TeX me to say she was pg again i went mental if DH hadn't slapped me in touch (not literally) i dint think i would be here today to say this to you.
Many hospitals have very different rules colchester also don't seem to care who they treat i saw a documentary about them last month they treated a very very overweight lady who also had some sort of disability which meant she could not move from her neck down all she wanted was a child like us i went mental at the time why her and not me.
God dint i go on moan moan moan so if you ever feel like a dam good moan add me as a buddy and MSG away some1 is the same position as you is allways a good ear to bend.

KEEP SMILING IT WILL HAPPEN ONE DAY.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts