Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New home

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Sin, sorry you feel so down hun  ^Cuddle^

did anyone hear on the radio this morning, i heard on radio one news that they are advising women trying ttc not to have peas or beans as it apparently kills the sperm before it has a chance to reach where it needs to go.  what do they mean by beans though, baked beans or beans like kidney, green etc?  Is nothing safe  :eek:

xxx

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Just got this off the BBC news site:-

>>Women should avoid eating too much soya if they are trying for a baby, a UK fertility expert believes.
A study in humans has shown a compound in soya called genistein sabotages the sperm as it swims towards the egg.

Professor Lynn Fraser, from King's College London, said even tiny doses in the female tract could burn sperm out.

She told a European fertility conference that avoiding soya around women's most fertile days of the month might aid conception.

Long swim

Genistein is present in all soya-containing products such as soya milk and many vegetarian foods, as well as some pre-packed meals and pizzas.

It is also present in vegetables such as peas and beans, but the researchers say it is not yet clear if levels if the compound in these foods are significant.

Avoiding soya products for a few days a month is worth a try

Vegetarian Society

Professor Fraser tested what happened to human sperm exposed to the compound in a dish in the lab.

The compound kick-started a reaction in a large proportion of the sperm that gives them the ability to fertilise an egg.

In real life, this does not usually happen until the sperm have been inside the female for some hours and are close to completing their long swim towards the egg.

Therefore, if women have genistein in and around the womb this could hamper conception by making sperm peak too soon, believes Professor Fraser.

This could mean they would not be able to fertilise the egg, she told the annual meeting of the European Society for Human Reproduction and Embryology.

Low concentrations

In mice she found it took higher doses of genistein to cause the reaction, but in humans very small doses were enough.

"We were really surprised. Human sperm proved to be even more responsive than mouse sperm to genistein, responding to very low concentrations - well within the amounts that have been measured in people's blood."

She said it was not yet known how much soya might be a safe amount to avoid this effect.

"It's not a question of completely stopping eating products containing soya.

"But it might be best for a woman to avoid them for a few days around the time she is ovulating."

'Early days'

Professor Fraser's previous work in mice showed that compounds similar to genistein - one found in hop-based products like beer - affect sperm in the same way.

These compounds are all weak oestrogens, but Professor Fraser does not believe that their action on sperm is the same as the female sex hormone.

Instead, genistein seems to trigger the production of a signalling molecule in sperm called cyclic AMP.

Dr Allan Pacey, Senior Lecturer in Andrology at Sheffield University and Secretary of the British Fertility Society said: "It's early days, but clearly if what happens in the laboratory also occurs in the woman's fallopian tube as the sperm make their way to the egg, then there would be the potential for fertilisation to fail."

A spokeswoman from the Vegetarian Society said: "For anyone struggling to become pregnant, avoiding soya products for a few days a month is worth a try if there is even a slim chance that it will help increase fertility.

"Obviously many vegetarians and vegans use soya in their diet, however as there are lots of vegetarian and vegan alternatives to dairy, milk and meat on the market, it shouldn't pose a problem."

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Cor thats a lot to take in! Thanks for the info. I heard it in the headlines on the Radio too. I'm veggie but don't eat much soya, but I do eat pea's. Don't like beans (as in baked beans) but do eat all other beans. Soon they'll be nothing we can have!

Hope your ok Flowerpot.

Love KerryB
xx

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
^wave^ I'm back!!!!!

I hope you are all well????  Had a lovely holiday didn't want to come home  :( anyway had a  ^tantrum^ of a period this month, started spotting Wed on hols continued to have af pains until full blown  ^witch^ on Sat which I would like to say the most bl**dy painful I have ever had and guess what still no lap date! Anyway dh bless him took me for acupuncture on Sat couldn't take the pain anymore, at first didn't feel anything well apart from feeling like a complete  ^idiot^ with a needle stickingout my head, which dh found very amusing  ;D but this week I am totally chilled not sure if it was the hols or acupuncture but don't feel so obsessed with becoming pg.  Not sure how long that will last  :-\

Anyway I need to catch up on personals but thanks Flowerpot for info, Nikki Mouse you in states already gosh that was quick good news on doc, Erika good month??? Kerry B Yo!! hope u OK? everyone else sorry I haven't mentioned I will read up on last clomid girls thread to find out whats been happening.

xx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Morning everyone

We need to make the most of the hot weather today because from tomorrow it is all down hill!

On cd 22 today, expecting af to come on Monday, cd26 as I think I ov. on day 12.  Progesterone results ready tomorrow so all fingers crossed! Sooooooo tempted to ring today as the suspence is killing me!  Last month level was 4.6 so hoping clomid would have done its job.

Have got really slight dull pain in tummy yesterday and today plus sore boobs, can't decide whether af pains or not, hoping NOT!

Oh well, not expecting miracles on first cycle of clomid, or was I?  Must try not to be too disappointed and keep positive - how do you all do it?!?!?!

Have a fab fab day

Melinda xxxx

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Mel - holding thumbs for you ....

and a big hello to everyone else - hopefully you all enjoying the good weather.
I have decided to have a very relaxed month of ttc - i get married in about two weeks time, and didnt want the stress of having to have bms; going for scans, putting pressure on my DP,  etc .... so will have some bms around what i think is ovulation time, and not to fussed which way it goes ....  I should then have my af just before i get married (!!! - wonderful) but more importantly i will be ovulating on my honeymoon and will put all my energy into that month!

Just read the article that was posted on here - i have been having daily soya based smoothies!!!! 

Wishing everyone luck and love

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Hi girls,

Today is CD7 and yesterday I took my 5th pill for the month at 6pm.  By 10.pm I had had a really bad argumument with DH that Im absolutely sure was fuelled by Clomid and hormones...  I hate this.  I mean you go on Clomid to try and get pg but then you end up arguing when you are supposed to be focussing on being loving to each other.  Not a good combination really is it!

We have made up and everything but I wish I would not turn into psycho every months.  But I think this month will be good as I can already feel my boobs are swollen and bigger so the hormones must be doing something in this body of mine. 

I think that I will start to BD from Saturday onwards as you are supposed to be more fertile 2 to 3 days before ovulation.

This month Im also taking Evening Primrose oil up to ovulation to increase cm.  I also have a bottel of Grapefruit juice in the fridge that will hopefully help.  I have heard that cough medicine can also help with cm (the one that contains guafesin).

Anyway, take care girls.,

Tweets xxx

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi everyone,

I pop in and out every now again as this time two years ago I started on the metformin and then clomid rollercoaster before falling pregnanant with my little man Henry! Since having Henry my af's are all over the place and I cannot shift the weight so I saw GP this morning to ask for blood test to see if I still have PCOS so we can then sort out getting me ovulating again. He said, once you've had it you'll always have it! I gave him details of the af's i've had and he confirmed I am not ovulating so has stuck me back on the wonderful metformin with a view to starting clomid again in two months time!!!

I really hope you all don't mind me joining you so soon after already being so so lucky to already have one bubba. I don't want to be seen as insensitive or anything but I know what a great support FF is when you get on this roller coaster. Dh and I always wanted kiddies close together, and based on past problems we didn't want to wait a year or so to find out we needed treatment again. Let me know if you feel it's not appropriate and i'll stay away.

Wishing you all lots of luck

ShelleyM xxx

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
course you should join us Shelley!!!

It will be nice to "chat" to someone who has had a success on clomid and answer all our questions  ;D

Henry is gorgeous! good luck for his brother or sister.  Look forward to seeing you around xxx

Hi to everyone else, hope you're all bearing up ok xxxx

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hi Girls,

Just popping in to say hello!! again I hear you say ...

Went back to docs yday still feeling rough with my tummy n bowels , hes trying me on buscopan now still thinks its IBS , Im not enjoying the heat at all !!! shouldnt moan as its depressing when its dull !!

Wishing all those on 2ww good luck and sending  ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ and  ^Cuddle^ to everyone , sorry no personals !!

Lots of love Ju x x x

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Hi Ju

something good to try for IBS is cutting out cereal fibre, ie eat white bread instead of brown, white crackers, white pasta instead of wholemeal that type of thing.  Cereal fibre can trigger off IBS symptoms in a lot of people who have it.  Worth a go!    xxx

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd say a quick hello. Sorry not been around for a couple of weeks. I've had a highly emotional month on clomid - very teary / moody. Also getting really dispondant that this will never work.  :'(
Anyway, I'm currently day 23. No real signs of ov this cycle. Been crampy, twingey since last af, also with some spotting around day 12. Have been going with bms every other day. Will wait til day 30 to test, although I'm not all that hopeful this month. Ah well, we'll see!
Hope you're all doing ok. Sorry no personals, will try to catch up soon.

x

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey ladies,

the 2ww has been a long long wait...
hoping  ^noAF2^ this time..
but well... just hope will not get too upset if af shows it's head this sunday..
that little clomid pill really drive me nuts at times...

good luck to all who're at their 2ww  :)

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
God I love this site! I feel very lucky to have all you lovely ladies to "talk" to everyday! Just been catching up on other posts and I was laughing out loud at some of them. I'm so glad I have you all to laugh with, cry with and generally have as my friends.

CD 9, 4th day of 500mg Met, no s/e's so far. Lots of twinges today on left side. Start BMS tomorrow, much to DH's delight  ;)

Barang - Does that mean you still on 2WW? Good luck if it does!

Twinkle - Sorry you've had a bad month hun. Chin up and good luck.

Ju - Hope you feel better soon hun.

Flowerpot - Nice to have you around again  ;D

ShelleyM - I agree with Flowerpot, get back on the board with us!!  :p

Tweetie - Sorry you've been  ^idiot^, hang on in there mate!

Safarigirl - hope you have a nice relaxed ttc month. Fingers crossed for you hun.

Mel76 - Thinking of you  ^reiki^

Frankie - Nice to have you back. Glad you had a good hol, I'm sure its a combination of the two things chilling you out. And long may it continue!

Love to everyone I've missed

KerryB
xx

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi ladies

I hope the weather is as beautiful where you are as it is here in London....supposed to be some thunder storms but hoping they just clear the "muggy" air & continues to be hot & sunny - the heat seems to be doing wonders for the bms  ^BMS^ as BF (he's not my DH yet !) seems particularly rampant  ^hump^  ....all good stuff !!  ;)  ;D

Well I'm on CD 14 & after scan on CD 12 was told I'd ovulate on CD 15 - so tomorrow..... I ovulate naturally anyway & always get some twinges but this afternoon I've been getting some really strong cramps/stitch like pain on both sides, along with bad lower back & leg ache on my right side which is worsening(scan showed 3 follies on right, 1 too small but the other 2 nice & big, but nothing on left side)...... I'm wondering whether I'm gonna ovulate today instead or whether they're just building up to the "release date" ?? !!!

We've been having lots of jiggy since CD10 so fingers crossed.....trying not to get over confident about it all but can't help but remain positive...although I know I can't expect miracles on 1st month of taking Clomid !  ???
I'm not having any more scans as consultant said all was good couple of days ago....but originally he said I wouldn't need an more day 21 prog BT's as all mine came back naturally high so definite ovulate....but now he wants me to have one so got that booked for next Thursday.

I always taken evening primrose (with starflower) for my PMT & love grapefruit juice & it really seems to help with cm !!

Anyway, I really hope this will be "the" month for you ladies....no personals just yet as I'm still just getting to "know" everyone....but thanks so much for all the advice & support you've given me & for making me feel so welcome  :)  It means alot when others don't understand what we're going through & just think I'm a moody cow  ^confused^ & don't realise the Clomid doesn't help & my emotions are all over the place.....

Thanks again...
Take care & lots of  ^fairydust^
Natasha  :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Reading posts all morning here. It is nice to catch up :) I miss reading and talking with you all, especially since I do not know any one here :(
IUI on Monday went okay. This dr. here also had trouble because my cervix is curved so badly. I guess they like to get the instrument past the cervix 7mm and he was only able to get 5mm. He even did a lot of tugging (ouch!!) Hopefully he did not disturb things too much up there. ^2ww^ and will test 4 July which is a holiday here :)

Thanks for the pm! I really am lucky to have found a new home and dr. in the same month! hopefully my luck will continue (fingers crossed)

Erika hi cycle buddy! Sounds like everything was in place and better than ever for you last try at IUI. I continue to pray that this will be successful (I don't see how it could not work this time :))

mel76 when will you get your progestrine results? Do you think you ov'd? It could work for you on your first try :)

barang how are you in ^2ww^ ???

Twinkle sorry you are having emotional month. ^No AF^

Nickjoanne I do not get too many s/e on the 150 either, I just had one really bad headache that could have been from anything. Good luck with progestrine test next week.

Annem so very glad to hear your CVS results were good! Enjoy your pg!

flowerpot great progestrine count, way to go finally ov'd

Jessygirl sorry you are short again this cycle. I would be scared too about all the new things with IVF. Ask all your questions and try and get stress-free. Is the cost great with IVF?

FrankieB welcome back. Sorry ^witch^ got you on holiday :(

KerryB I know what you mean about LOVING this site and these ladies :) Glad the met is getting on without s/e! ^hump^ Thanks for the luck!

Ladynat ^welcome^ sorry I can not help with progestrine tests/scans. Hope you get your answers and get on without too many s/e.

Minxy funny how heat is helping the ^BMS^ You may possibly ov early. I do not get ov pains but if you normally did it will probably be more intense. Good luck!

Safarigirl I am still thinking about a honeymoon baby for you... wouldn't that be the BEST :)

ShelleyM welcome (back). I do not know you since I have only been on a few months, but I enjoyed reading about your success! Hope you can give all of some pointers.

Ju glad you are a bit better. Do not worry about work, if you are not healthy nothing else matters. Take care of yourself!

Sin hope you are feeling better ^reiki^. Keep taking those hugs from DH ^Cuddle^

Tweetiepie we all get in arguements with DH. For me, they are definately worse on these crazy pills! Good on you to FINALLY get AF and start the next cycle.

'Talk' to you soon ^fairydust^

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Hey NikkiMouse
Enjoy 4th July - its normally lots of fun
thank you for thoughts about honeymoon baby - its what i'm asking the universe for ......
wishing you lots of luck as well on this cycle

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Morning ladies & what a morning  ^rain^ ^rain^
Sin - Sorry to hear you're feeling down  ^hugme^ hope you feel better soon.
Barang -  ^noAF2^ hope this cycle is lucky for you.
Natasha - Being positive  ^reiki^ is a good thing you stay that way!
Kerry - Good to hear you're not having any s/e  ;) wishing you lots of luck this cycle.
Frankie - Welcome back mate  :) good to hear you had a fab holiday.
Melinda - Great test results  ^clapping^ wishing you lots of luck.
Safarigirl - When do you get married? It will do you the world of good relaxing & taking time out & ov to coincide with your honeymoon sounds perfect  ^BMS^ Hope it brings you that extra special wedding gift.
Tweets -  ^furios^ pills!! We all understand, it happens to us all. Glad you & DH have made up this journey is difficult & hard for both parties isn't it.
Shelley - Hello  ^wave^ & welcome & of course you should join us. We all have our own set of circumstances but share the same goal. Henry is gorgeous.
Ju - Aaaah mate sorry to hear you're still feeling so poorly  ^Cuddle^ You've got to hurry up & get better you go on holiday soon!!
Twinkle - We all understand & those low, teary, dispondant moments are the worst. Hope you feel better & positive again soon  ^hugme^
^hello^ everyone else hope you're all ok.
Well I'm feeling very  :( as just like my previous 2 IUI's my AF pains have kicked in a week after basting. I'll hang onto that bit of hope  ^reiki^ we have to don't we but deep down I know it's the same scenario. Trying to get my head round it all & prepare myself for next week.
Hope you all have a good weekend.

Erica.xx

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Flowerpot
Sorry hun  ^oops^ hit the old return button a bit too quickly then.
Good to see you back posting matey & I bet you can't wait for your  ^holiday^ when do you go? I think you said you were going to the Algarve, if so I've been there & it's gorgeous. If not I'm just having yet another spazzy Clomid moment  ^idiot^
Take care mate.

Erica.xx

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.