Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Do you know if Clomid raises progesterone levels and prolong luteal phases?  My luteal phase is only 11 days and I know I have low progesterone because I have mild PCOS.

Thanks,

Mrs G x

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

Progesterone is released from the corpus luteum which is the place where the egg is released. If you have PCOS & don't ovulate (or infrequently ovulate) then your progesterone will be low because no egg released, therefore no corpus luteum to trigger progesterone. Progesterone is needed to help prepare the endometrium for implantation & to subsequently sustain a pregnancy.

If clomid makes you ovulate then the follicle will rupture to release an egg & so the corpus luteum will then release progesterone so your progesterone level will rise to indicate this. Your luteal phase may lengthen. Here's some info I found...

"progesterone is produced by the corpus luteum, a cyst-like structure formed after the oocyte is released from its ovarian follicle. Progesterone vascularizes the uterine lining, increasing the blood supply in preparation for potential implantation of a fertilized egg. In the absence of pregnancy, the corpus luteum's progesterone output will normally begin to decrease after about 12 days. In response, the vascularized lining is shed in the form of a period."

http://www.paternityangel.com/Articles_zone/Hormones/Hormones2.htm

Implantation takes place between about 5-10/12 days following ovulation & to sustain a pregnancy a luteal phase of around 10 days minimum is required to ensure complete implantation.

Have you had several progesterone level blood tests taken 7 days past ovulation (cd21 test is only good if you ovulate on cd14) ?
Sorry, I can't remember - are you currently taking clomid & if so what cycle are you on ? Have you managed to ovulate on it ?

Not sure if that's helped ???

Anyway, wish you lots of luck ^reiki^
Take care
Natasha

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying to me.  I'm on 1700mg of Met a day at the mo - starting Clomid next cycle.  I suspect I ovulate but not until about day 19.  My body does some of the things it should in the run up to ov but I never get EWCM and I get more CM about a week before my period.

Do you think the Clomid will make me Ov earlier?

Thanks,

Mrs G x 

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.