Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Sorry to post another one but my head is a mess!!

I was just wondering if you have to have any drugs(eg chlomid) before having IUI. And if so how far in advance should I be taking it!!

The reason I am asking is because my consultant is a bit of an idiot and he didn't send me for all the proper tests in preperation for IUI,so I am just wondering if he has skipped the medication stage aswell??

Sorry it's a daft one but I dont know who to ask!!

Kelly x

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Hi Kelly,

Again different clinics have different regimes, usually based on your dx.

When I started IUI in November I was on 50mg Clomid CD2-6 and then 75iu menopur injection on cd2,4,6, and 8 with follie tracking scan on cd9 and 11. 

I'm sure others will have had different regimes to that but it gives you an idea.

Hope the Dr sorts out your tests soon.

Love

Emma xx

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi again Kelly

Each clinic is different but I can't imagine they'd put you on any drug until you actually started a cycle.  With Clomid I think you can't have it more than 6 months in a row (not absolutely sure about this - could be up to 12) I believe this is because of an increased risk of ovarian cancer but I can't be sure. It might just be because if it's not working after 6 goes then it's not going to.

They might after investigations recommend Clomid without IUI.  Other people have IUI with a different drug regime.  Some clinics don't prescribe anything if you are ovulating ok and the sperm count is good.  It really depends on the clinic so I'd just ask them lots and lots of questions to find out how they do it.

Good luck

Elly

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Elly,

Thanks for the advice, I was talking to the fertility nurse at the hospital earlier and she cleared up a lot of things for me!! She also said that we are in a shorlist for treatment in July!!! Can't wait to get started!!!!

Kelly x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts