Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI

I've just started my little on on baby rice this week and he's quickly gone from one or 2 spoonfuls to eating the lot 4 tblspoons of milk to 1 of rice. As a result he is now refusing that bottle so he's getting about 1oz mixed with the rice then he's drinking about an ounce. Does this matter? He's taking the rest of his bottles ok.

When do you drop the feed altogether and when do you start to introduce purees with every bottle? When does it become more of a meal with a main and a pudding with water? I'll keep him on his morning bottle and a night bottle but what happens to the rest of them? Please help, not a clue what I'm doing and starting to stress now.

Been to a few weaning classes but they were as much use as a chocolate fireguard! 'just do what baby wants' Great - but baby can't speak so he can't tell me his preference!!  :) any simple tips to follow or any really good books apart from annabel karmel?

cheers lady

stressed in newcastle!

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Would be interested to see replys as i havent a clue either  ;D

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Hi Outspan,

Weaning is a complete minefield and I know I got myself into a tizzy over it a fair few times but it does all fall into place eventually.......honest!

With weaning they have to learn a new way of eating i.e. flicking food to the back of the throat and swallowing. At first it all seems to come back out, so I gave just baby rice until mine had worked out what to do with it which was just a couple of days. I then moved on to puree'd veggies - started with the naturally sweeter ones such as carrot, swede, parsnip, sweet potato etc. How long you stay on puree's/veggies really depends on how old your baby is when you start weaning. It's suggested that the digestive system isn't really ready for much more than rice, fruit and veggies until around the 6 month mark and I did wait until then to introduce meat and dairy.

I know it is hard but one baby really is very different to the next. With ds I started weaning at 15 weeks but we didn't get onto 3 meals a day until he was 7 months as he just didn't need it, whereas with dd I started at 18/19 weeks but was on three 'meals' a day probably within a month. However, I would suggest that as your LO is eating all he's offered then it would be a good idea to introduce another meal - maybe breakfast if you aren't already doing that one. Up until 6 months I used the powdered baby cereals which both of mine loved.

It was once mine were on 'proper meals', so proteins, carbs etc, that I cut their milk back to just a morning and evening bottle then gave water in a beaker the rest of the time. Some do keep either a mid afternoon or mid morning bottle as well but it really depends on your LO. As to when to drop feeds, they usually drop them naturally as solids increase by just taking 1 or 2 ozs or alternatively if they don't eat much solids it could be an indication that they are filling up on milk. At this point in time though I wouldn't worry about it too much as the solids are more tasters at the moment that actual meals.

Apparently the Gina Ford book of weaning is very good, and I had Lorraine Kelly's and Annabel Karmel's although tended to use them more for ideas than following the weaning plan - there's nothing wrong with having more than one book but I would suggest that if you do follow the weaning plan that comes with them, you only follow one and don't start comparing them!

Hope this helps a little,

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
One other thought, I did start introducing finger foods quite early on - they didn't really get eaten in the early days but it gave them something to play with, new textures to feel, something to practise their pincer grip on, and occasionally something to gnaw on! Just make sure anything they have when you first start with finger foods is big enough that they can't swallow it whole, and not so hard that big bits could snap off.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

thanks for the replys. Turned out I had the wrong Annabel Karmel book (theres a follow up?!) which didn't have the meal planners.  Working our way through that now and he's really enjoying it, little starver!

Dakota, check it out - explains a lot

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I'm so glad you've posted this - and Chux has given a great reply..

I've just started weaning and even though it's my second time around, it's very different this time.  I simply can't fill Matilda.  All the books say try 1-2 teaspoons worth of food to start.  On her very first meal, she probably would have had 1-2 bowlfuls if I'd let her and that's after a 6oz bottle.  ;D  ;D  I was getting a bit worried about whether I was overeeding her though, so I'm hoping seeing Chux's reply, I can carry on with her large portion sizes although, I'm thinking it might be time to introduce a second meal.

Claire
x

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I'm the same Claire,

we're now on our 4th week i think.. something like that, it all merges into one at the mo

We're onto 3 meals a day (after milk!) and he's still cleaning out every bowlful that i give, I use 3 large icecubes of savoury, mixed with boiled water and baby rice or 3 smaller icecubes of fruit, again mixed with rice, and baby breakfast for breakfast (3 milk scoops mixed with 2oz milk) and he's still finishing every scrap that i give him... where do i stop?

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Its all just so daunting  ;D how do i know if the baby rice is the right consistency (sp) ? I put a level teasppon of baby rice to 4 teaspoons of milk but sometimes add more milk if it doesnt seem runny enough

off to have a search for weaning books  ;D

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Oh and forgot to ask do i have to mix savory or fruits with baby rice? or is that down to choice? sorry for all the Q's just a little confused

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I sometimes mix with rice to make it go further, thiken it if its too runny, it also dilutes the flavour a little too and I guess makes something like pear puree slightly more filling....

i make it to a consistency that stays on the spoon, but is suckable-off easily as thats how Ed takes it...

Have a look at a jar of food and make it to that consistency....

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Oh now I'm confused. Talked to my HV about weaning today - I didn't mention that I'd already started as she's very much a 'NOT before 20 weeks person - and she said you could overfeed a baby at this age. ??? I didn't want to ask too much in case I gave it away and got told off ::).. Might post on the HV board here..

Nikki - As for consistency - just go with what Lewis is telling you. If he doesn't like it, he'll refuse it. Obviously not too lumpy yet, but just try with consistencies and go from there. You don't have to mix anything with baby rice if you don't want to. I have been just to introduce the flavour, but will reduce this to make the fruit/veg by itself. It's also good to thicken if you need to.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi

well we're doing real well. I've tried him with rice and fruit to soften the tartness and he's accepting that ok, next step try it without the rice see if he's ok. He had apple/pear and cinnammon today - loved it! He's eating veg without the  baby rice so start as you mean to go on!

Quick question though, I have just made a heap of veg to freeze. Instead of freezing 2moros portions to defrost them again is it ok to just store them in the fridge for 24 hours?

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Sorry, been away hence taking so long to get back to this thread.

Outspan - Yup, store in the fridge - you don't have to freeze if you are using in the next couple of days.

Claire - Going on my two, I would have to disagree with your HV about being able to overfeed a baby of this age - mine have always refused to eat when they don't want or will sick up a bit. I don't know about you but I was completely thrown with dd as I assumed she would do the same, or at least similar, to ds and it came as a shock when her reactions and behaviour were completely different! I was definitely more relaxed about the whole weaning thing second time around though as well as learnt from my mistakes, meaning dd was on lumps and feeding herself WAY before ds was.

Dakota - If your ds will have it thicker then go for it. Remember the whole aim of weaning is to get ot the stage where your ds will eat what you eat (don't panic - it's a long process and not something you will achieve in a few months!) so once he has learnt to flick the food to the back of his throat, thicken it up a bit and see how he gets on. As to mixing things, it's all down to choice although I did tend to bulk out fruit and veg in the early days just to give it a bit of substance - puree'd carrot on it's own can't be the most filling thing.

em - It may seem like a lot of food he's eating but if you actually think about the calorific value it's probably not a lot at all so try not to worry.

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thanks chux :)

We managed to fill him to refusal the other night :) and then he slept thru til 6am! must have been the right amount :)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I must admit, he's damn enthusiastic about his food!! I never thought a baby could get SOOO excited at the sight of a bowl and spoon!! He's now grabbing at anything that might contain food for him ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup

so is Matthew. If your not putting it in fast enough he's lunging at the spoon with an open mouth. Going to do himself an injury soon!

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
I love weaning!! Such good fun!!  ;D ;D

Just wait til you have to fight past fists which are trying to grab handfuls of food off the spoon because you aren't feeding them quick enough for their liking!!  ;D ;D ;D

Charlie's latest trick is to grab the food off the spoon and sort of half smear it over his face, with some going into his mouth!!  ;D ;D Oh, and then we get raspberries being blown while he has a faceful of food!! Messy just doesn't even come close!!  ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
You might also check out the method known as baby led weaning-put it into google and see what comes out. Roman would not feed from a spoon so for the first 3 or 4 months he fed himself all his food. I mostly gave him adult type food-spag bol, veggies, baked pots, and he would just tuck in, with no teeth, and only 7 months old! Whole pears, whole bananas. It was amazing-he did not choke, and i only had to venture in to retrieve food on a couple of occasions! And it meant no pureeing, so it was less of a chore.
Now he eats beautifully! from a spoon!
Anyway, good luck!
joxxii

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
I tried Lewis on carrot and sweetcorn today, it went down a bit better than the baby rice  ;D

If im freezing the food in ice cube trays, do i have to defrost in a morning, or can i defrost in microwave? or doesnt it matter?  :-\

1 - 20 of 22 Posts