Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I met my dh back in 1987 he was up front from the word go, that he had Cystic Fibrosis and as a consequence was rendered infertile, due to part of the vas deferans tubing being missing.

Despite this and my huge desire to have a family, we stayed together, with me never fully believing in his infertility, always believing there would be something around the corner with Medical Science, to enable us to have our family.

Wow and behold... a good many years later, ICSI was discovered, along with the fact that men with CF do produce sperm, but just can't get it out due to their missing tubing - hence the discovery of Surgical Sperm Retrieval and 16 years after meeting, the birth of our gorgeous son, Iestyn on our 6th ICSI attempt.

Well since then, my desire to have more children has overwhelmed me. We don't have anymore sperm in the freezer, so Dh would require another SSR for us to be able to have anymore.

That option is not feasible at the moment, due to health complications, which we are trying to get stabalised.  However, we have always both lived in hope that one day, SSR's and ICSI would not be necessary because someone would find a way of inserting a replacement bit of tubing, to allow the sperm to come out the fun way (hmmm, never had the excitement of  ^hump^ wondering if that could lead to a pregnancy - that would be nice and give a whole new feeling to ^hump^).

It seems crazy that this has not yet been done (or certainly not that we know of), when they have been doing vasectomy reversals for years... OK, I know the tubing is already there for that, but still it is dealing with such micro tubing.

Does anyone else ever live in hope that this could be pioneered in the near future.  It is something that we would actually travel the world to have done, if it were at all possible.

The thing is, I'm not sure that it's even being looked into, as I've never read anything about such research... so I think I am clutching at straws and have loads of wishful thinking.

Anyway, just wanting to get that rambling down and wondered what anyones thoughts are on this.  Am I just crazy... don't answer that one, I know the answer already!

Love,

Sue xxx

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
You are not crazy - I have been wondering along similar lines for women who have damaged tubes.  Also, I wonder if one day it might be possible to re implant an ectopic pg. 

Who know what is possible in the future - I am sure there is a lot going on that we don't know about yet.

They can reattach veins and things when someone has lost a finger or other body part !

And what about that bloke who had his bits cut off by his wife !  That was reattached !

Fingers crossed huh !

Jennifer xx

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some valid points.... hmmm, last bit made me cringe, but yes you're right, if they can deal with such Micro surgical stuff like that, surely they could deal with a missing bit of vas deferans!!!

By the way, Congrats on your BFP!!!

Love,

Sue xxx

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
thank you ;D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Sue MJ

Must just say that Iyestn looks like such a loveable cheeky chap. Just how little boys should be.

My Husband and I have had 1 and a half goes of ICSI. Half as I did not respond to the drugs well on the first go. This is due to my DH having to have sergical sperm retreaval. We are contemplating going through this all again as I am finding it harder and harder to imagine life without a family of our own. We held off going again straight away due to costs and the most herendous Sergical sperm retreval my dh had to injure. To cut a very long story short, they only gave him a local anasthetic which wore off and as he had eaten they could not give him anything else and he said he could feel them slice through his testical and rumage and then stich it back up.

But back to your question, this was the first thing we asked the Drs as they can reverse vasectomys but they said the scaring may cause more of a problem. We live in hope though that they might find a procedure after all ICSI is only 10 years old.

Sorry for the ramble, but there are people out there that hope they can find a way to cure this problem.

Love

Lettuce

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.