Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

CMV blood test

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  kittykat76 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone.

I need to go for a blood test to check for CMV. I don't know anything about this test except it's linked to the herpes virus and people can be infected and not know about it. I've never had any type of herpes but clearly this isn't an indication if people can have it and don't know.

Does anyone know if this is something to worry about? Are they likely to provide you an egg donor who could be CMV positive? If you are positive how do they stop your baby getting the virus?

Any advice is much appreciated.

#2 ·
CMV is a virus and not really linked with herpes.
I caught CMV in my first IVF pregnancy (own eggs) and lost the twins.
I don’t know if I caught it from my husband’s sperm or caught it accidentally as it’s a common type virus. But it had devastating effects. I would get tested. As far as I know, if you’re negative it’s very likely that you will get it  from the egg donor. Once you catch it you’re immune.
Once you’ve caught it you will develop antibodies which will be passed.

#4 ·
Hi
I read more about this again - and you are right. It is linked to herpes. Regardless, yes - get tested.

#5 ·
I had to be tested for this before choosing a sperm donor, my clinic said that if i tested positive i could use a positive or negative donor but if i was negative then only to use a negative donor which can really restrict choice. If test pos then it just means you have been exposed to it at some point and will be immune, if neg then there is always the chance could get it during pg which could cause problems so you may want to ask for a neg donor

#7 ·
You're welcome :)  Good luck with it all x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.