Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ruth,

Im starting to d/reg on 26th Dec. Generally healthy - taking all my vit's, healthy eating etc..

Ive really cut down on drinking coffee- and  now only have 1 to 2 cups a day. Can this increase the risk of miscarriage or ICSI not working? Any clinical studies to back this up.

Also going on hols when Im d/regging - will an occasional glass of wine cause problems to the cycle working?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks Deborah

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hiya Deb

Marilyn Glenville (gawd bless 'er) says caffeine decreases your fertility, delays conception and gives you worse recovery symptoms after an anaesthetic.

Zita West (gawd bless 'er too) says caffeine is one of the first things she asks clients to give up!
It dehydrates you and produces cortisol which competes for the receptor sites in your body for progesterone - so you get a deficiency.  She says more than a cup a day can increase the time it takes to conceive by up to 50%!!!!

Marilyn quotes various medical studies.......however with both of them they would have you living like a complete saint if they could.  So you do have to take what they say with as much moderation as they claim you should have towards caffeine!

The nutritionist I trust the most, Jane Clarke, says caffeine stresses your immune system - ie it basically gives your body something else to concentrate on when you want it to have its full attention on conceiving.  And it dehydrates you and reduces your uptake of nutrients from your healthy eating regime.  consequently I'm now on

Alcohol is also supposed to be unhelpful, but I think alot of people on the site have succumbed to a few glasses here and there - a little of what you fancy probably does you good.  I did drink when downregging on my first cycle and I downregged fine.  I've stopped drinking casually now just because I can't be bothered to keep drinking and stopping again every time I do the 2ww!  Also find it easier to keep off the **** when I don't drink!
I now only have a glass when I'm out or at a special occasion.  I'm planning on drinking on christmas day and at new year - then I start down regging so I'll probably stop altogether.

Zita West says " a very occasional galss of wine or the odd beer is unlikely to have a damaging effect, especially if you have it during the first half of your cycle.  But give up completely if you can."

Can't remember if you're doing ICSI for male factor reasons but it's your man who's probably more affected by alcohol!  Can't say I've had much success convincing my DP to give up the beers........

I say if you want to, don't beat yourself up, enjoy a little something to keep you sane.    ;) 

Claire x

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Claire

Thanks for all the info - Im being good and drinking water although I felt like a cup of coffee....

Speak soon Deborah

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jac thanks for feedback - chocolate- WOW!

That's wonderful that you conceived before treatment....something to help me feel positive about.

Ive had one cup of coffee today and that will be it.

Deborahxx

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
I was sooooo upset when I found out chocolate had caffeine in it!  But there's not a huge amount compared to coffee so I've used that little fact to justify my continued scoffing of my favourite Green and Blacks!  ^pig^ ^pig^ ^pig^

1 - 5 of 5 Posts