Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I am going cold turkey on Monday if anyone would wish to join me, I log on to ff everyday so there will be plenty of swearing, irritability, terrible mood swings, positivity, winging...........you name it I'm going to write about it........

Love Hollie

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Hiya Hollie
How weird!....I was considering that too hon!
I'm going to "try" and just quit!
..............well....that's the plan........ :-\
Good luck hon!
Angel
XX

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good luck ladies

I've been cold turkey for a month now and not finding it too bad - the hardest part is when we go out, drinking is my downfall....dh still smokes which is hard sometimes.....but...he is considering giving up too. I'm not going to nag him, I'll just slowly bring him around to my way of thinking ^furious^

Good luck ladies. The best motivation for me is just to think about why I am doing it (to increase my chances of fertility) and somehow that helps.
^cool^

Megan
XXXXX

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Dh is quitting today with me!
Got his supply of gum, and giving it a try.
It's going to help tremendously him quitting with me, as it is so hard if your other half smokes.
Good luck Hollie!
Next post might be a bit of a ^furious^ as the withdrawl sets in but hey!...we're gonna do it girls! ;D
Luv
Angel
XX

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Angel

My dh is quitting with me today, as well! Its only 1.30pm and I feel like my mouth is watering for a cigarette, I keep thinking about them all the time!

I've been reading this book called the Nicotine Trick and apparently its not 'nicotine withdrawal' your experiencing, its 'delayed nicotine reaction'. A bit like a hangover from alcohol but from ****. Also did you know there is radiation in cigarettes which changes cells and sets off tumours, I didn't realise there was radiation in cigarettes! Anyway, enough of my waffle!! (its theraputic you know!)

Bye for now

Love Hollie

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that Woppa, will be buying some this afternoon!

Love Hollie

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yeah.....I just want to say to you all.........I wish you all the luck in the world, and at the end of the day if you can kick the habit then you are the winner!!!....dont let the **** be the wiiner!.

Hollie- I hope things arent too bad for you today, just concentrate on one day at a time and keep saying that you dont want one!. I can hinestly say that after the 6th day I felt so much better. I still get the odd craving as its only been 3.5 weeks but I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would ever be able to stop thinking about the little buggers but I did and you will too!

I was lucky in the fact that my dh didnt smoek, I can only imagine how much harder it is for each of you who do have dh that smoke............YOU CAN ALL DO IT!!!

Natsxxx

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi all

I have done nothing but think about stopping for years. Both DH and I smokers. After the last cycle, we vowed we would stop (I hardly smoked and did not inhale on 2ww) before trying again. Both broke our promise. We thought we ought to give up for at least 3mths before trying again but over the last few weeks I got so depressed and had no motivation to stick to it. DH and I discussed the possibility of doing it again anyway and my motivation has returned.

Stopped this morning, patch on and a three week window to quit for good. Probably crazy but I have now a goal and a really good reason to beat this!!! 3 month wait seemed far to long.

Only thing I can say is keep on trying to stop....don't give in. Hope you find some motivation and really look forward to any tips to keep on this high!!!

MarthaF
xxx

^pompom^

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Martha

I am on my 2nd day of stopping (tried monday but relapsed Monday night!) I think the more pressure your under the harder it is. One minute I feel totally motivated and the next minute I desperately want a ***, its so hard! I find that I need something to click in my head, last year I gave up from Jan to August and started on holiday, my main motivation was money. This time money just isn't doing it for me, the only thing that seems to be keeping me going at the moment is thinking of the cigarette as poisonous, still can't stop thinking about them though!!

Anyway good luck with today, I think the first day is one of the hardest. Let us know how its going.

Love Hollie

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just me..........DAY 2 nicotineless(relapse Monday night)

I NEED A ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I'm not going to have one though :-X

Love Hollie

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Hiya Hollie
I did so well all of Monday...until the evening...and gave in! So did dh...but he admitted he'd had a crafty cig, when I went to see my friend! lol
Had a manic day yesterday, and was ok,.. then the nerves of the quiz led to my first cig.... ::) lol
Had 3 today, but we're smoking hand rolled...and they are foul...so hopefully this will help.....smaller too than bought cigs...but that is really a "cop out" eh...as am still smoking ^roflmao^
I'm determined to do it....and am fighting the temptation, just had dinner...and this is the worst time!
Good luck Hollie....
Angel
X

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi ANGEL

Failed tonight!!!!

Speak tomorrow.................

Ashamed............

Hollie

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Martha

Way to go...........and hang in there!!.

I was similar, tried and tried during my treatment and couldnt and since seeing another clinic he said that it will help no end and its a small sacrifice to pay...how true that is.

Anyway we decided that we may have another go later in the year and finally I though I had better give up.
I done the patch thing for 3 weeks which helped so much with the initial hand thing and then woke up one weekend and suddenly felt strong enough to take my patch off and not replace it........here I am 4 weeks later and still no ciggie!

I smoked for 15 years and was up to 15-20 a day, never though in a million years that I would stop but I did..............it can be done. The first week was hard with out the patches but after that first 7 days I have never looked back.......keep trying!!!

I am wishing you all the luck in the world to beat those horrible things!

Love Natsxx

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Holiie....Hollie.....Hollie......

What happened to your willpower!!........we all have enough willpower to do it, you just need to reach really really deep to bring it out, I know you CAN beat this.....

Keep trying!!

Love Natsxx

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks Nats and Holly.

Day 2..........still off the ciggies. They still smell nice but the patch is doing the trick. DH (bless him, a very confirmed smoker) also stopped yesterday and bought one of those nicotine inhaler things yesterday afternoon. They don't taste of anything but give you a "hit" at the back of the throat and give you something to do with your hands. Best thing I have found is keep busy........last night I vacuumed the downstairs instead of sitting down and having a smoke.

I think that you have to be in the right frame of mind to make the plunge......I have not managed to go for more than a day for 2 years but in the last month, tried giving up at least 10 times. Wednesday just felt right.

Well done Nats.....very proud of you.......and Holly, keep on going but don't beat yourself up about it!

Good luck!!!

Martha
xxxxxx
^thumbsup^ ^jumpin^

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Hi girls,

just thought i would pop in and congratulate you for trying to give up the ciggies.

I gave up 3 months ago and although I still have the odd one if we go out for a meal or a big night out, I am so glad I did it.

I kept telling myself that I would have a much better success rate when i have my ivf and kept calculating all the cash we were saving. For the first few weeks we treated ourselves with the money we had saved (ok-so maybe it was a little longer than a few weeks!!!)

I completely spring cleaned my house from top to bottom-washed all the curtains, cleaned carpets etc.. to get rid of that nasty stale smokey smell. I was so busy with the spring cleaning it took my mind off smoking!

I wish you all the best, you know you can do it.

L xx

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Tequila

Well done you!!! It is comforting to know we are not alone in the battle!! When do you start your tx again????

How do you manage not to start again after having the odd one or two??? That has been my downfall every time!!!

Love Martha
xxxx
;)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Hi martha,

I should start tx in about 8 weeks. It will be our first. When we go out we buy a packet of ****, but make sure at the end of the night we get rid of any remainding in the packet!! I find that after a night out drinking, a cigarette is the last thing i want in the morning anyway. Im not sure it works for everyone, but considering we dont go out often it works for us. Just make sure you dont make excuses to go to the ppub every night!!

L xx

·
Registered
55 Posts
Day 3.........still going.

Thanks for all your advice guys!

Have a great weekend!!!!

Lots of love
Martha
xxxx

1 - 20 of 115 Posts