Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Peter

Please could you help?

We have male factor infertility - at last count partners sperm was 0.1ml, 10% motility, 80% abnormal. Very low.

We had ICSI at Hammersmith hospital in Nov 2002, had 12 eggs, 10 fertilised, 2 put back (one good 6 cell one average 4 cell, day 3). Pregnant with one baby, saw heartbeat at 7 weeks, no heartbeat at 9 weeks.

Second attempt June 2003, 8 eggs, all fertilised, 2 average put back (both 6 cell). Negative

In both cases none good enough to freeze.

Have just had consultation at ARGC, who are suggesting (on top of ICSI costs) that we do the following:

Small camera in womb to check for adhesions, fibroids etc - at over £1000
Mid cycle scan
Various blood tests including one for antibodies
Pre-implantation embryo bi-opsy to test for chromosomes - £2000

I feel very depressed and down as we have had all the tests last year and they showed nothing wrong with me - but severe male factor issue.

I can see the benefit of the antibodies screening, and also the pre-implantation screening - but surely they are for people who have had many more treatments?

The doctor kept saying, with my history of miscarriage, we must do these tests? I thought a history of miscarriage was 3 rather than only 1.

By the way, I was pregnant 11 years ago naturally with a different partner, but had a termination (bitterly regretted!)

Any advice or clarity you could give would be very much appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy email.

Thank you

Tina

·
Registered
856 Posts
Tina T said:
Dear Peter

Please could you help?

I'll try!

We have male factor infertility - at last count partners sperm was 0.1ml, 10% motility, 80% abnormal. Very low.

Sounds like a good diagnosis

We had ICSI at Hammersmith hospital in Nov 2002, had 12 eggs, 10 fertilised, 2 put back (one good 6 cell one average 4 cell, day 3). Pregnant with one baby, saw heartbeat at 7 weeks, no heartbeat at 9 weeks.

Sorry to hear this

Second attempt June 2003, 8 eggs, all fertilised, 2 average put back (both 6 cell). Negative

In both cases none good enough to freeze.

What a pity!! There must surely have beenm something worth freezing!!

Have just had consultation at ARGC, who are suggesting (on top of ICSI costs) that we do the following:

Small camera in womb to check for adhesions, fibroids etc - at over £1000

Sounds a useful thing to do

Mid cycle scan

Makes sense

Various blood tests including one for antibodies

Makes sense

Pre-implantation embryo bi-opsy to test for chromosomes - £2000

This sounds like aneuploidy screening and of all of the above it is the one you should seriously consider

I feel very depressed and down as we have had all the tests last year and they showed nothing wrong with me - but severe male factor issue.

The male factor may be causing chromosomal problems in the embryos, aneuploidy screening will detect these problems.

I can see the benefit of the antibodies screening, and also the pre-implantation screening - but surely they are for people who have had many more treatments?

Not really, the results are there to see from your previous treatments and there is no point in repeating the same treatment over and over again as many clinic tend to do.

The doctor kept saying, with my history of miscarriage, we must do these tests?

I agree

I thought a history of miscarriage was 3 rather than only 1.

No, 1 event constitutes a history

Good luck!

Peter

By the way, I was pregnant 11 years ago naturally with a different partner, but had a termination (bitterly regretted!)

Any advice or clarity you could give would be very much appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy email.

Thank you

Tina

1 - 2 of 2 Posts