Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there, just had my first IVF ,got 10 eggs.

Got phone call this morning to say 7 fertilised but 3 are not great so 4 in the running. :)

Said would do a 3 day transfer as not sure they would make it to blasts.

Does anyone know what this means, also my clinic said they only freeze blasts?

Is there problems with freezing 3 day embryos?

Sorry if im sounding like a total idiot  ^idiot^
any advice would be great

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Hi,

It seems there are no set rules and clinics really vary. I had 9 eggs and 5 made it to day 3, I had 2 transfered and 3 frozen. My clinic wouldn't risk going to blast, as there was only 1 grade A, 2 B's and 2 C's, so they didn't want to risk losing them and me end up with none.  I now have a son.

However some clinic's will only use Blast's and only freeze blasts.  My clinic were happy to freeze my embies, as they have high success rate of FET and for them, these embies have a good chance of becoming babies.

Good luck.

x

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi there,
"Said would do a 3 day transfer as not sure they would make it to blasts."
little embies are better off inside out than out in a petrie dish. going to blast is a way of selecting those with the best chance (or in other words, rejecting the ones with the worst chance by testing their survuval rate!)
so, if you don't have many embies, then in cases such as mine, we just put them all back asap (I am allowed 3 as the chances of anything working are so low, but ususally only get two, so there is no need to try and work out which are best!)
the other reason for putting them back in day 3 may be that it isalready  obvious from the embie quality which is the best.
in other words, there is no need to take them to blast if you can work out earlier which ones should be put back.
As for not freezing day 3 embies - if this is across the board at your clinic, it seems a bit severe! That wouldn't be usual and if I were you I would question this. But be aware, some embies are not good enough for freezing at any point. This could possibly be the case with yours.

wishing you lots of  ^fairydust^

1 - 3 of 3 Posts