Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member to this site but sadly not to the issues contained within it.
My partner suffered with Cancer 10yrs ago and due to the severity was sent straight to the op theatre before any of his little men could be taken and frozen.  As a result of the trauma and treatment was rendered infertile. 
We have undergone 5 failed attempts of DIUI on the NHS, that is finished and we are now on a waiting list for IVF. In the meantime looking at DIUI with Bupa. We're confused though because our GP told us that 90% of woman can take up to 24 months to conceive yet the Hospital told us not to have more than 7 DIUI as it will probably not work after 7 failed attempts. 
Is anyone is the same position?
Are we wasting our time with another 5 DIUIs ? 
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Jo
???

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Dear Jo,

I am so very sorry to hear about your partners cancer and all the failed attempts. I cannot advise, sorry, but I wanted to send my sympathy and let you know you are not alone.

My DH is also a cancer survivor and we had no sperm taken either due to a mistake/problem at the hospital.

We originally thought we were very lucky when a testicular biopsy (he only has part of one left) produced tissue that sperm was grown from. The consultants had been very dismissive and tried to discourage us from the biopsy.

However, 2 ICSI's and a FET later and we still have not managed to get pregnant....

We discovered a short time ago that I have immune system issues and that this stops the cycles working.

I wonder if there are issues with your own fertility that have been missed. Do you have any health issues that could possibily be causing problems or is there any pattern to the failed DIUI's?

The stress and pain of the failures must be awful for you both. I know that my DH is devestated each time.

With love from,

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Flopsy,

I am sorry too to her about you husband, however I am sure you agree in the greater scheme of things it is better to have our husbands survive the cancer without the little fellas...Although it gives little comfort to my DH. 

You know, you wrote in your reply that they could have missed something that could be affecting my fertility.  Well I am having a scan next week because I have been showing signs of a suppressed ovary.  Hot flushes, pain during urination (and other toilet activities) and my AF had been getting increasingly painful, so much so that this month I fainted with the pain.  That is what finally sent me to the Dr.  I may have an ovarian cyst.  That could answer why I haven't been catching on with the IUIs.  All will be revealed next Wednesday.   

Do you have any knowledge of cysts?  Hot flushes ?  I hope it is not the early menopause.

Thanks for listening
Jo

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Jo,

Good luck with the investigations. I had "hot flushes" a few years ago which my GP tried to blame on early menopause. However, it was a chronic sinus infection instead....

Yours sounds much more serious and I'm glad that you have an appointment lined up to investigate.  Lots of ladies having fertility treatment seem to develope cysts but I have not had any experience so far (touch wood).

Wishing you all the very best!!!

With warmest regards,

·
Registered
174 Posts
Jo,
I had 5-7 unsuccessful attempts at IUI with my own eggs and partners sperm but without luck. One failed IVF - did not produce enough eggs for collection. Have now had a donor egg and am currently 10weeks preggers.
I understand that IUI is not as succesful as IVF - but it's cheaper and far less intrusive.

Squeak

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Squeak,

Thanks for sharing your happy ending.  How do they know if your eggs are not of the quality desired for fertility?  The dr mentioned there could be a problem with the quality of mine but that is based on guess work.  Is there a test they can do like with men?

Thanks
JoJo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts