Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone, I'm really confused and wonder if anyone can explain something to me.

I was diagnosed with PCOS 14 years ago after seeing my GP for a very irregular menstrual cycle, that is still really my only symptom other than weight gain. Eight years ago I was put on Clomid after failing to conceive and when that didn't work ended up at my local hospitals fertility unit where we were told we wouldn't have a child without IVF. My then partner and I decided against doing that at that time. We subsequently split up due in part to the stress we'd been through and I got together with somebody else. Within six months I was pregnant naturally! My ds arrived safely five years ago.

Now, it gets a little complex! I then split up with my son's dad and got back together with my original partner two years ago. Imagine my shock when after three weeks of a stomach upset, my partner came home with a pregnancy test which I did and that turned out to be positive!

My confusion starts here. My LMP was on 18th August which would make my due date end of May and I'd be about 17weeks now. However I had my scan last week and that says I'm only ten weeks pregnant and my due date is now 10th July. I thought that you ovulate 14 days from the first day of your period and that the egg only lives for 48 hours so how is it possible for me to get pregnant five weeks after ovulating? I asked my midwife and she is just as confused as I am. Am i just being thick because I really can't work this out!?!

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Hi Becca

How irregular are your periods normally?  You actually ovulate approximately 14 days BEFORE the start of your next period (so if your cycle was 42 days long for example then you would ovulate around 28 days after your last period).  Working the dates out in the 'conventional' manner only really works if you have a 28 day cycle.... (My last cycle was 10 weeks before I think I ovulated and then I got my period 2 weeks later!)

Congratulations on your pregnancy and hope you have a happy healthy few months.

Fluffs xxx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked back over the last year and there is no pattern to my cycle, this year it's been 15 days, 52 days, 68 days, 43 days. Your answer does make a bit more sense though, wish my midwife had just said that!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts